Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2020 8:23:49 AM EDT
Just recently purchased an OWB Kydex holster for my full size 1911. Holster has "pancake style" belt loops to keep it tucked to the body pretty well.

I was thinking about using this holster with a light jacket to cover it, so it would conceal it.

The question I have is with my shirt. Do you guys tuck in the shirt? Or leave it out and just tuck it behind the holster? Or cover the pistol all together with the shirt as another layer of concealment?

Typically I carry an XDS in an IWB appendix holster, so that's pretty self explanatory as to where the clothing goes.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 8:33:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Winters here are so mild I usually wear one of these with a t-shirt. For OWB I typically place the hem of my tshirt between pistol handle and my body. So I'm not tucked in per se, but the tshirt is out of the way if I ever did need to draw.

Link Posted: 4/19/2020 8:42:06 AM EDT
[#2]
What you describe is pretty much my plan. The spring and fall here are light-jacket weather, and I have one like you show.

Was thinking about using the jacket as a cover-layer, but wasnt sure what I should do with the shirt.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 10:41:21 AM EDT
[#3]
For me it depends on the shirt- and you don't mention what you mean when you say shirt.  T-shirt?  Button shirt?  Polo?

If the shirt I'm wearing is shorter, I'll tuck it behind the holster and pull the fabric forward so that it looks normal-ish through the opening in the over-shirt or jacket.  If the shirt is too long it'll bunch up and look goofy, so longer shirts get tucked in.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 11:57:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I tuck the shirt if I'm wearing a jacket. Practice with the shirt over it with the jacket over and you'll see why you should tuck the shirt.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 12:10:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I always tuck it and normally carry like that. On another note though, I don’t care who sees it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 1:06:47 PM EDT
[#6]
If I'm OWB and its T shirt weather i don't cover it. I used to take the position "concealed is concealed" but i became enlightened and even wear OWB at work now (used to be sworn LE at work so people are prob used to seeing me with a pistol but not sworn since becoming a bureaucrat lol).  Governor Abbott proclaimed that anyone with a CHL can carry openly at work in state offices.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top