Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2019 1:50:33 PM EDT
I found an add on the ARF.com homepage for a brand of weapon mounted lights that I have not heard of. The prices are cheaper than what I paid for my my Streetlight TRL-2 HL and my TRL-8. Are these lights any good? Does anyone have any experience with them? If so, how long have you been using it? What do you think? What do the internet experts think of these lights?
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 2:26:59 PM EDT
[#1]
These Olights are spreading like wildfire. They make many different models. Head on over to YouTube for more reviews than you care to watch.

I have three of them, two PL-minis and one PL-mini2. They work great for me.  Maybe not top tier, but they seem very rugged and reliable and won’t break the bank.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 3:54:02 PM EDT
[#2]
For any serious use, bypass the Olights altogether and go for a TLR-1 HL or X300U-A/B (1,000 lumen).

When compared with other lights, they are not as impressive as people think.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 3:56:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a PL-mini2, M1X, M2R and some others. All work as advertised. No issues with performance. Buy during Black Friday to get the best pricing.

Edit: I agree with DAVE_M, if you are .MIL, Police Officer or Fire Fighter ect......
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:09:19 PM EDT
[#4]
They're fine for what they are. For pistol lights Olight/Inforce<Streamlight<Surefire.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 10:25:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For any serious use, bypass the Olights altogether and go for a TLR-1 HL or X300U-A/B (1,000 lumen).

When compared with other lights, they are not as impressive as people think.
View Quote
Says who??
Just because they don't have mil/leo contracts does not mean they don't measure up. All of the youtube vids seem to shed very positive light on them (including Sage Dynamics and Mrgunsngear) and they definitely take the beating without issues.

I love my Olights (PL-mini, PL2, PL2 Pro). The only issue I have with them (but not with them) is the problem of finding holsters to fit them.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 10:39:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I own stream lights, surefires, and O lights among some other non-weapon lights. I currently have an Olight on my HD rifle and another in a FLUX PDW rig. work great, have been reliable for me, no stupid prices, and have held up to recoil an training. good enough for me for now.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 3:46:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Says who??
Just because they don't have mil/leo contracts does not mean they don't measure up. All of the youtube vids seem to shed very positive light on them (including Sage Dynamics and Mrgunsngear) and they definitely take the beating without issues.

I love my Olights (PL-mini, PL2, PL2 Pro). The only issue I have with them (but not with them) is the problem of finding holsters to fit them.
View Quote
Oh boy the triggered emotionally invested Olight owner has arrived...

Unlike most people on the internet, I've actually had the opportunity to compare a few popular Olight handheld and weapon lights against popular Surefire and Streamlight weapon lights and hand held lights.

Olight PL-2 Valkyrie
Olight PL-MINI
Olight S1 Mini Baton
Streamlight TLR-7
Streamlight TLR-1 HL
Streamlight HL-X (Handheld)
Surefire X300U (1000 lumen)

I can tell you right now that the beam pattern from the Olight lights are low candela flood lights. If you're into that... cool, but most people don't want that in a WML. The HL-X Handheld outperformed all of the lights, but it's a handheld and wouldn't be fair to the WML's. I personally carry a Surefire X300U, but that being said, the TLR-1 HL outperforms the X300U at distance even with a lower output. Lumen count isn't the only thing you need to be concerned with. Lumen count, Candela Rating, Battery Type, Runtime, Controls, and Holster Compatibility are all things you need to look into. Sadly, the Olight fails in a lot of those categories.

And before you start jumping up and down like a monkey, the Olight PL-2 does have a higher lumen count, but a very low candela rating. The runtime on high is a whopping 1.5 minutes before it shuts off and reverts to a 600 lumen setting.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 11:50:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Unlike most people on the internet, I've actually had the opportunity to compare a few popular Olight handheld and weapon lights against popular Surefire and Streamlight weapon lights and hand held lights.

Olight PL-2 Valkyrie
Olight PL-MINI
Olight S1 Mini Baton
Streamlight TLR-7
Streamlight TLR-1 HL

I can tell you right now that the beam pattern from the Olight lights are low candela flood lights. If you're into that... cool, but most people don't want that in a WML. The HL-X Handheld outperformed all of the lights, but it's a handheld and wouldn't be fair to the WML's. I personally carry a Surefire X300U, but that being said, the TLR-1 HL outperforms the X300U at distance even with a lower output. Lumen count isn't the only thing you need to be concerned with. Lumen count, Candela Rating, Battery Type, Runtime, Controls, and Holster Compatibility are all things you need to look into. Sadly, the Olight fails in a lot of those categories.

And before you start jumping up and down like a monkey, the Olight PL-2 does have a higher lumen count, but a very low candela rating. The runtime on high is a whopping 1.5 minutes before it shuts off and reverts to a 600 lumen setting.
View Quote
Oh boy.. the triggered, emotionally invested in overpriced old tech Surefire lights, owner has arrived!
Sorry, but I’ll take Sage Dynamics word/advice over yours any day. Check out his site, he’s definitely a WML and RDS guy who does the most thorough and detailed reviews I’ve read/seen.
We agree on Olight holster option limitations, and that’s it.
Actually, I also agree with you on the Streamlight HL-X (my favorite rifle light), but that’s irrelevant here (pistol sub forum).
Btw, the (reported) run time at max lumens for the PL-mini is 4-5 mins before step down (not 1.5). For defensive use, that’s more than enough time (at max lumen).

ETA Links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOCKKVgzBhQ&t=4s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeswRUO27LA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6mrKvCx1FM
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 12:11:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought a small pocket $20 light from them directly on eBay and was sent the wrong item, a small keychain light. A lady from their customer service got back and sent me my light plus an extra free and wanted me to keep the keychain one. The lights work fine but they do have excellent customer care.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 9:06:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Oh boy.. the triggered, emotionally invested in overpriced old tech Surefire lights, owner has arrived!
Sorry, but I’ll take Sage Dynamics word/advice over yours any day. Check out his site, he’s definitely a WML and RDS guy who does the most thorough and detailed reviews I’ve read/seen.
Actually, I also agree with you on the Streamlight HL-X (my favorite rifle light), but that’s irrelevant here (pistol sub forum).
Btw, the (reported) run time at max lumens for the PL-mini is 4-5 mins before step down (not 1.5). For defensive use, that’s more than enough time (at max lumen).

ETA Links:

View Quote
I own a ton of lights. Calling it old tech is amusing. What Olight is doing is old tech. None of these lights are running on new groundbreaking technology.

I'm well aware of Cowan, his reviews, and what he stated about the PL-2. It's also amusing that I mentioned the runtime on the PL-2 and you are blabbering about the PL-MINI.

Have a go yourself, test the lights, make comparisons, use what you will, but coming on here with sand in your panties asking "SaYs WhO?!?!" when someone mentions that Olight isn't the best is just making you look silly.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 11:55:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

ETA Links:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Olight PL-2 Valkyrie
Olight PL-MINI
Olight S1 Mini Baton
Streamlight TLR-7
Streamlight TLR-1 HL

ETA Links:

Cowan on the PL-2: "Would I consider this light? For me, it's going to be a pass."

The Olight is just not up to par with Surefire. For the money I think Olight is a decent light but the Surefire is a better product in every category minus price. There is nothing wrong with choosing a cheaper light if that's an important criteria to you but pretending it is a better product is retarded. Personally, I'd save up a couple extra bucks and get the Surefire.

I have bought a lot of Olight's handhelds and WMLs, the only Olight I still have is an M2R hanging on the key rack just as a general use light.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 5:08:17 AM EDT
[#12]
I have the mini on my main carry weapon G19. I’ve had the light for about 7 months and have put about 5,000 rounds of hard use with it mounted on my pistol. So far it’s been a good light and I’m very happy with it. I also have surefire and streamlights as well. Is the O light as well built ? IDK but time will tell. So far I like it and always look them up on Black Friday deals.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 5:32:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Does the O-Light have a metal or plastic body/mount?  I dropped a TLR-4 (mounted to a P226) on a concrete floor... while in a padded pistol bag... and it broke.  That's not going to happen with a Surefire.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 8:05:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Does the O-Light have a metal or plastic body/mount?  I dropped a TLR-4 (mounted to a P226) on a concrete floor... while in a padded pistol bag... and it broke.  That's not going to happen with a Surefire.
View Quote
Metal with a quick detach lever.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 4:20:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

ETA Links:

View Quote
@MaverickAA

Wait... so why does he never use olights EVER? This makes no sense lol.

FYI he uses Surefire X300U 1,000 lumen on all his guns.
Olight has nothing ground breaking. Olight has no track record.

I’ve had TLR-1 HL’s paddles and batter cover plates break on me during training. I still have to carry one on duty. All my other guns rock Surefire X300U. Not sold on olights marketing. That’s all it’s is. Paid and sponsored marketing to gun tubers.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 4:43:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a PL mini 2 on my backup g19. Got it for a good price and it just sits in the safe. I originally purchased it with the intention of putting it on a shotgun. The switches only work in one direction so it doesn’t work on a long gun without some hand contortions.  It doesn’t have the best throw, very floody. I have not had a need for olight customer support but I have heard that it straight up sucks. I will stick with streamlight as my go to for value/performance. Olight pushes hard on social media and that’s why you see them everywhere. I would have no problem owning one of their handheld lights for general use, but serious use on a gun I will pass. Next light I buy will be a modlite, hopefully once the price drops a little.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 11:45:10 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a PL Mini that I had mounted for about 6 months. Only shot it for 1 range session of 45 super through a p220 compact. I sold the gun and moved it around and noticed the front glass is cracked.

I like the concept of their adjustable one to fit the smaller guns, but I'm not too fond of there marketing hype. Rechargeable is nice, but eventually it wont hold a charge or the battery dies and then you have a paper weight.
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 5:07:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have a PL mini 2 on my backup g19. Got it for a good price and it just sits in the safe. I originally purchased it with the intention of putting it on a shotgun. The switches only work in one direction so it doesn’t work on a long gun without some hand contortions.  It doesn’t have the best throw, very floody. I have not had a need for olight customer support but I have heard that it straight up sucks. I will stick with streamlight as my go to for value/performance. Olight pushes hard on social media and that’s why you see them everywhere. I would have no problem owning one of their handheld lights for general use, but serious use on a gun I will pass. Next light I buy will be a modlite, hopefully once the price drops a little.
View Quote
I purchased a couple of lights during a flash sale. I entered in my payment information and my billing address is different than my shipping address. I had been drinking when I ordered them and got it screwed up and it was sent to my old address. They tracked it down for me, had it sent back to them, and then resent it to me a second time on their dime. I’ve got no problem with their customer service from my dealings with them.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 8:29:39 AM EDT
[#19]
They are lower quality Chinese lights which are priced accordingly.  Surefire makes a better product, IMO.

Be aware the glowing reviews from the youtube folks are also being paid THOUSANDS for those commercials.  Take what you see with a grain of salt...
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 9:25:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

ETA Links:

View Quote
Lol. Yeah he loves them. “I’ll pass” is the new “I love them” apparently.

He also uses exactly ZERO on his guns.

Yeah. Take his advice. Just actually LISTEN to it, first.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 2:03:09 PM EDT
[#21]
I wouldn't trust one the way I trust a Surefire light, but I like how they work enough to be using on the range long term to see how they pan out.

I would pay Surefire prices for a PL-2 that had Surefire durability and the strobe feature removed.   Though I admit there is a reason why the X300 is larger/longer than the PL-2.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 2:17:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 6:46:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
for the avg ccw i think they are fine. i got in on the pl mini and valkery deal. both so far have been pretty decent lights for the price. my only real concern with them is the durability of the latch and mount.

if you kicking doors go SL or SF. if sd for the house or normal ccw i think they are fine for that.
View Quote
This, it's really a question of "what do you need, what will you use it for?"

If you are outfitting a rolling around in the dirt, climbing walls, and generally beating it to crap....then yeah, the o-light isn't as good of an option as others.

But if you are just buying a CCW light....it's a viable option.

O-lights are tough.  While it's not a good comparison, I have an old O-light t25 AA battery light that I've carried for YEARS.  I've used it as a hammer, I've dropped it, I've not treated it kindly at all.  Just keeps on trucking.
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 10:24:41 PM EDT
[#24]
While the idea of a rechargeable light sounds good on the surface I don’t like the idea of either paying for the battery to be replaced when it starts to go or just pitching the light.  My TLR1 HL is always bright with a fresh set of batteries every few months.

Between this and the unnecessary QD lever rule the light out for me.

A Streamlight type mount and CR123As and I’d consider it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top