Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2020 12:15:05 PM EDT
Good morning,

About to try my hand at Norrell’s Moly Resin for the first time and am curious to hear people’s experiences and and tips in using it and possibly see some pictures. I’ve grown tired of having to pay people to refinish my parts and have read great things about NMR, so believe it will be adequate for what I’m looking for.

I’ve got my parts all blasted with 90 grit Garnet media and will do a final degreasing before I spray and bake when my NMR arrives on Thursday. .

My initial use was to refinish some 1911 parts and a slide, but after reading more I decided to also buy a bottle of the flat gray for a retro build I’ve been working on.

Also, big thanks to Stickman for his awesome write up. I think I’ve read it 3-4 times at this point.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 1:09:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Just follow the instructions, it works great. Spray light coats if you are trying to imitate the anodized look.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 12:35:21 PM EDT
[#2]
heat your parts before spraying them.  helps the resin dry on contact to prevent runs and get a more even coat
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 1:06:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Well here’s my first attempt. Parts done were slide, frame, MSH, beavertail and ambi safety. I really like the finish and it’s a little more satin than I expected which I really like.

Link Posted: 12/23/2020 9:06:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow.  Norrells is old school.  I remember reading about it in a Soldier of Fortune magazine circa 1981.  John was rewelding (of sorts) demilled AR receivers and then using his moly resin to finish the projects.  It did match dark grey park and anodizing pretty well.  

When I used it for Garand gas cylinders, I used an airbrush to get it on thin without showing drops.  40 years later, those guns still look good.  The closest thing I've found lately is Midway's Ceramacoat, though I tend to favor finishes that don't need to be baked to cure these days.  The methylethylbadstuff in there is nasty while it bakes.  A toaster oven outdoors is really the ticket.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 9:12:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
heat your parts before spraying them.  helps the resin dry on contact to prevent runs and get a more even coat
View Quote

+1 That made a big difference when I used it. I did an 870 years ago and it still looks great.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 12:39:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks good.  And pretty much just what my slide looks like.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 12:40:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

+1 That made a big difference when I used it. I did an 870 years ago and it still looks great.
View Quote

Yes it does.  Did my 1911 slide about 11 years ago and still looks great...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top