Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2021 11:18:37 AM EDT
I want to get some XP (10 coil) springs for my SA15rd G43x/G48 mags. SA is always out of stock on these. My guess is, they don't have these springs made specifically for their mags and are probably an off the shelf part?

I've read some speculation that they are just using G19 mag springs? I've compared them to my G19 springs and that appears to be correct but can anyone confirm or let me ask it this way... have any of you installed G19 springs (regular or XP) into your SA mags and gotten 100% reliability?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 11:30:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Tagging for replies....I am imterested also

Here is the spring out of the SA mags that came in a few days ago

How many coils do you see?

I count 10 or could be 9 depending how you count...

Link Posted: 2/9/2021 1:06:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Interested as well

Link Posted: 2/9/2021 2:27:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure that's the 10 coil (XP spring). I have some more mags on order so I'm hoping that's what mine come with?

Quoted:

See that's what I'm talking about. I did sign up for the notifications but didn't get one? I even checked my spam and nothing except I did find some in stock notifications from Greg Cotes that I missed because they went to spam!

Anyway, thanks for the heads up. Luckily they still showed in stock so I ordered some but I'd still like to know about any alternatives?
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 7:01:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I am really counting nine coils, exlude the top where it attaches to the follower and the bottom, starting with the first down and to the left and then to the right coil, it looks to me to be nine colis....but who knows...I can say this, the coil spring has a lot of force, 15 rounds can be easily loaded into the mag, unlke my 15 round Glock OEM mags.

I am going to take a G19 mag apart today and see the difference in spring length and how the OEM follower fits in the SA mags.

Link Posted: 2/10/2021 9:01:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am really counting nine coils, exlude the top where it attaches to the follower and the bottom, starting with the first down and to the left and then to the right coil, it looks to me to be nine colis....but who knows...I can say this, the coil spring has a lot of force, 15 rounds can be easily loaded into the mag, unlke my 15 round Glock OEM mags.

I am going to take a G19 mag apart today and see the difference in spring length and how the OEM follower fits in the SA mags.

View Quote

I use G19 mag springs in mine.  I was using Glock followers but the front of the follower is shorter than the SA follower, which allows the bottom of the follower to be exposed by the shield magazine body.

Function was fine, but I didn’t like what I saw so I went back to SA followers, but still with Glock springs.  Works great, reliable lockback etc.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 9:06:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah its hard to say for sure what they count as "coils" but I'm thinking its the 10 coil because it matches the pic on their site of their 10 coil spring...

Looks to me that they count the last "coil" that the follower rides on and IIRC, when I checked the springs in my current SA mags (and counted the coil the follower sits on) I counted 9. Same thing with my factory Glock G19 springs.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 12:16:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Tagging for replies....I am imterested also

I count 10 or could be 9 depending how you count...https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/16476/1292B673-4E07-4E48-88EB-D4EE7E1460E9-1817512.jpg

View Quote

For what its worth, I just disassembled the shield mag that in my g48 and it had one less coil than your picture showed. I assume the 10 coil spring was a revision?? (I bought these mags when they first came out)
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 8:32:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

For what its worth, I just disassembled the shield mag that in my g48 and it had one less coil than your picture showed. I assume the 10 coil spring was a revision?? (I bought these mags when they first came out)
View Quote

@MallNinja531

Can you post a picture of the spring?

Thanks,

Bronc
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 10:29:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

@MallNinja531

Can you post a picture of the spring?

Thanks,

Bronc
View Quote

@77Bronc

As requested.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/11/2021 10:47:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I've replaced all of my S15 springs and followers with G19.5 springs and followers.  They weren't 100% before, they are now.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 10:54:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Newer ones ship with 10 coil springs.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 11:07:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've replaced all of my S15 springs and followers with G19.5 springs and followers.  They weren't 100% before, they are now.
View Quote

Did your magazines have the 9 coil or 10 coil springs in them originally?
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 11:34:46 PM EDT
[#13]
@MallNinja531

Thanks for the picture....

Bronc
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 8:18:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Good to know. Who's got the best price on Gen5 followers?

Quoted:
Newer ones ship with 10 coil springs.
I guess I'll find out soon enough. I ordered some more mags and replacement 10-coil springs for my current ones. The ones I already have have not been 100% reliable so I've been on the fence about these mags and haven't been carrying them. I want to love them because they turn the 48 into the perfect carry piece for me so I'm willing to do whatever I have to to make them 100%.

Just wish I could have backordered the Black Electroless Nickel version to match my current mags instead of the Black Oxide version but who knows, maybe I will like the BO version better?
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 11:15:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I guess I'll find out soon enough. I ordered some more mags and replacement 10-coil springs for my current ones. The ones I already have have not been 100% reliable so I've been on the fence about these mags and haven't been carrying them. I want to love them because they turn the 48 into the perfect carry piece for me so I'm willing to do whatever I have to to make them 100%.

Just wish I could have backordered the Black Electroless Nickel version to match my current mags instead of the Black Oxide version but who knows, maybe I will like the BO version better?
View Quote

When I emailed them last spring about issues with my mags, they mailed me the extra power springs for free
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 3:59:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably 9, I'd have replaced them anyway though, I don't trust Checkmate springs.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 4:02:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
I got them from Brownells, they're dirt cheap no matter where you get them.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 4:46:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
When I emailed them last spring about issues with my mags, they mailed me the extra power springs for free
View Quote

I screw around and forgot to e-mail them now I understand they want you to ship the mags back for replacement springs? Didn't verify that but whatever. Springs are cheap and I like having extras. I ordered Gen5 followers and Chrome Silicon springs from Brownells too.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 4:33:26 PM EDT
[#19]
FYI for anybody interested...

Below left = Original SA 9-coil spring (used). Below right = SA 10-coil spring (new)

Left to right,
SA 9-coil spring (used), Glock standard G19 spring (from an unused older factory mag), SA 10-coil spring (new), Brownells Chrome Silicon G19 spring (New)
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 4:45:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Got a sku number for the Brownells spring?
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 5:11:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Got a sku number for the Brownells spring?
View Quote

080-000-307
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 8:05:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I just took four mags apart.  

L-R:

Glock 19 mag
SA may that I received in my first order about a 6 weeks ago and has been loaded with 15 rounds since
SA mag that I received a few weeks ago.  Never loaded or used
Glock 43X mag

The second photo shows how I am counting the coils.  Not counting the. Bottom where it contacts the floor plate nor the coil attached to the follower. The Sharpie pen is on the first coil I am counting.  

The last picture shows the number of coils written on the blue tape

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 10:22:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Left is an early 2020 production. Right is a 2021 production Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 11:57:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Left is an early 2020 production. Right is a 2021 production https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/190207/F4F57F5A-4EF2-41AC-9FA9-06AC0FC60FB6_jpe-1850434.JPG
View Quote

Looks like 10 coil springs are standard now?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top