Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2018 5:27:01 PM EDT
I just completed collecting the 5 main battle rifles of WW2 an SMLE, Mosin Nagant, M1 Garand, Arisaka Type 99 and a G.24(t) ( a Cz made Mauser Kar 98K)

I turn 45 next month and I want to start collecting a hand gun from each of the same countries from WW2. So I figuer I need a M1911 .45 for my 45th birthday. I don't think I need an actual vintage pistol. Does anyone make an M1911A1 still? Just like they were made for WW2?
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 7:01:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure anyone's made a 1911 of the same dimensions as the WWII guns since Colt changed it up with the Series 70 guns...the rear tangs on the S70 guns up until this very day are much larger. I don't know but I'm pretty sure Springfield's frame tangs are also wrong...I think most 1911 makers all use larger/oversize rear frame tangs to make fitting wide/beavertail grip safeties a thing.

I don't really think anyone makes a 1911 these days that you could hang up next to a WWII gun and it would be utterly identical....I'd be happy to be wrong, though!
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 7:02:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not sure anyone's made a 1911 of the same dimensions as the WWII guns since Colt changed it up with the Series 70 guns...the rear tangs on the S70 guns up until this very day are much larger. I don't know but I'm pretty sure Springfield's frame tangs are also wrong...I think most 1911 makers all use larger/oversize rear frame tangs to make fitting wide/beavertail grip safeties a thing.

I don't really think anyone makes a 1911 these days that you could hang up next to a WWII gun and it would be utterly identical....I'd be happy to be wrong, though!
View Quote
How about one that just looks the part?
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 7:06:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I just picked up a new Auto Ordnance 1911a1 and have been very pleased. As is it is about as close as anyone makes and accepts GI parts without fitting.  Mine has been 100% reliable and pretty accurate. All at a very manageable price. It is tighter than my Colt O1918 and once removed, the Series 80 safety the trigger pull has become pretty nice as well.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 7:24:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Rock island makes the gi model. It's not exact either. Probably the hardest thing to fix is the lowered & flared ejection port. Even cimmaron makes a 1911 (not A1) clone but it has a lowered and flared ejection port (ria makes it for them).
ETA: why did auto ordnance gimp up their gun with series 80 safety!?
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 7:40:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'd buy the ria (I did) and just go shoot it and be happy. They're good guns. You could change the main spring housing for about $15 if you demand the arched lanyard loop msh.
There are lots of guns that look real close to a GI 1911a1.
American classic
llama
rock island.
ATI.
Springfield mil spec
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 7:40:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Liability I am sure. Easy to fix though. Good service pistol though and the ejection port is GI small.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 8:00:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Search for
Colt WWII reproduction
Springfield GI not MilSpec
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 9:48:59 AM EDT
[#8]
When I wanted to scratch that itch I bought stock RIA, put some Keyes Fiber grips and an arched mainspring housing on it and called it good.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 11:47:11 AM EDT
[#9]
I was in the same boat a few years ago, and I ended up with a SA GI model. I got lucky and found one locally that was little used. They had already put the proper WWII era grips on it also. I don't know how easy it is to find these anymore since so many people bought them and had them upgraded with better sights and such.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 2:31:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I was in the same boat a few years ago, and I ended up with a SA GI model. I got lucky and found one locally that was little used. They had already put the proper WWII era grips on it also. I don't know how easy it is to find these anymore since so many people bought them and had them upgraded with better sights and such.
View Quote
Haha, I just put white dot mil spec sights and a trl6 on my GI. It's a LW champion though, so it was already pretty far from correct.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 2:39:26 PM EDT
[#11]
C

M

P

Get a real one.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 3:44:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys. You have given me a lot to work with.

Those Colt reproductions look nice but pricey.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 3:54:57 PM EDT
[#13]
As mentioned previously, all of the copies have at least one major deviation from the true 1911A1, usually trigger, ejection port, and/or safety. Thus, I decided to build my own:

The one I'm working on now will essentially be a clone of a 1945 Colt:

Link Posted: 7/12/2018 6:05:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Not to beat a dead horse too much, but as has been mentioned, no one makes a very accurate copy of a WWII 1911A1. If sorta close is good enough for you then any of the currently produced pistols that are parkerized will do the job. Although they are not as common as in years past, the 1911A1 as made by Norinco is a pretty exact copy except they came from the factory blued rather than parkerized and the ejection port is larger than an original. They typically sell for around $500-$650 ish on the used market and you could buy one and have it parkerized to look like a WWII GI pistol. Or, you could suck it up and look for an original WWII 1911A1, but they are getting a little pricey nowadays.

Norinco 199A1.

WWII 1911A1's from;

Colt:

Ithaca:

Remington-Rand:

Link Posted: 7/12/2018 8:50:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Buy a Springfield Mil-spec. Be close enough
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 12:16:29 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm gonna echo the CMP route. Or find a period correct pistol on the used market. They're out there for reasonable prices if you're not looking for a real collector's piece.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 10:09:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Ok, update guys.

Even though my 45th birthday isn't for a few weeks I picked this up in a private sale this weekend. It's a Springfield 1911 A1. It's not a great copy but will scratch this itch for now.

Attachment Attached File

Here it is next to my 1943 Springfield Garand. BTW, I made the stand the Garand is in. I bought the one the 1911 is in.

In the back is a 48 star flag that was draped across a WW2 soldiers casket. He died of his battle injuries in 1946 or 47 according to the guy I bought it from. I can't believe a family would part with this kind of thing.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 10:24:12 AM EDT
[#18]
I got an Auto Ordnance 1911-A1  Its close. The trigger is too thick. Ejection port is more like the WWII 1911s.
I couldn't find many made with the smaller ejection port. RIA doesn't have the correct one.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 5:40:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I got an Auto Ordnance 1911-A1  Its close. The trigger is too thick. Ejection port is more like the WWII 1911s.
I couldn't find many made with the smaller ejection port. RIA doesn't have the correct one.
View Quote
Loving mine. Replaced the OEM trigger with a GI one and put a narrow GI hammer on it. GI parts fit fine. Accurate and has been 100% reliable and looks GI with the dull finish and plastic grips and high ejection port. Heat treated and saves beating up a real GI gun.
Cost was good too.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 10:42:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Colt has done some runs of repro WWII 1911 guns over the years. That's what I would go with. Especially because Colt was the original. Makes a lot of sense to me. Do a search of Colt WWII on Gunbroker and see what comes up.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 10:16:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Colt has done some runs of repro WWII 1911 guns over the years. That's what I would go with. Especially because Colt was the original. Makes a lot of sense to me. Do a search of Colt WWII on Gunbroker and see what comes up.
View Quote
Currently only 1 reproduction Colt. A O1918 WW1 (like I got long ago for way less) listed at $1850.00
At those prices a real one is cheaper.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top