Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2020 11:33:59 PM EDT
I’m looking into a new python to go along with my older one but I’ve also kind of taken a liking to the concept of a 3” king cobra. I don’t see a whole lot on here about the new colt DA guns. For those of you who own them, how have they treated you? I have a bunch of smith’s, an MR73, and of course my 1980 blue python. I’ve seen, heard and read about the issues the new python had, but none of it really concerns me to much. Any useful input would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 12:56:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I love mine.. great revolvers. I got the 3" and 4" King Cobras.. and a 6" Python. They are worth buying... and if you reload, can be very accurate
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 9:40:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I started a thread a while ago asking about the Colt King Cobra and Kimber 3" guns, might be worth a look for you.

I got nothing on the Pythons, though; post-redesign seem to be hens teeth.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 8:18:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I can only offer this... I will be buying a 3" King Cobra as soon as I can find one locally. (apparently I missed out on one last week by an hour )

I've wanted a pre-lock S&W 65 3" (preferably with an underlug) for more years then I can remember but have never been able to find one for a decent price but I think I like the CKC even more and with the way pre-lock S&W prices have gone up, the CKC is actually less expensive these days (Comparing a NIB Colt KC to a LNIB or Excellent condition pre-lock M65).

That and I respect that Colt got back into the revolver game and not in a cheap, "price point" sort of way. Time will tell how well these guns hold up over time but I'm willing to put my money down and find out.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 10:13:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I own & carry the 3" King Cobra. Nice gun.

@airgunner, my LGS has a 3" in stock. I thing he's asking $899?
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 7:57:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the heads up. I had my local dealer order one. Should be here in a week or so hopefully?
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 9:34:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the heads up. I had my local dealer order one. Should be here in a week or so hopefully?
View Quote

Price?
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 9:42:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Do yourself a favor and look at a Kimber K6S before you buy a Colt revolver.  The Kimber is better in every way in my opinion, and I have been a Colt fan a LONG time.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 10:26:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Price?
View Quote

Same $899. Was hoping to find it cheaper but wasn't having any luck.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 1:31:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Same $899. Was hoping to find it cheaper but wasn't having any luck.
View Quote

Yeah, prices won't come down any time soon, IMO. I don't know if the factories are even running these days with the china flu thing.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 5:17:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeah, prices won't come down any time soon, IMO. I don't know if the factories are even running these days with the china flu thing.
View Quote

I agree. I haven't seen it much cheaper since the release and when I have its typically been online so by the time I add in shipping and transfer fees it would be back up to that price anyway.

Sometimes you just have to pay to play
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 5:46:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been a Colt wheelgun guy for decades, and had many Snake guns over the years.
I bought one one of the 1st new series Cobras and its way better than anticipated. I recently bought
one of the new 4.25" Pythons and fit finish, trigger are all well up to the quality levels of the
old series, and the CNC milled parts are very smooth in both double/single action. Very clean
Trigger break in SA mode too. I've read of early release issues, but mine seems very well put together.
I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet , but hope to soon.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 8:05:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I recently bought one of the new 4.25" Pythons and fit finish, trigger are all well up to the quality levels of the
old series, and the CNC milled parts are very smooth in both double/single action. Very clean Trigger break in SA mode too. I've read of early release issues, but mine seems very well put together. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet , but hope to soon.
View Quote

Everything I've read by people who actually know what they are talking about indicates that the new Pythons are, if anything, actually a little better in overall quality compared to the originals. Sure they had some teething issues with the first run (which sadly seems to be the case with a lot of new guns these days (think Sig M17 and P365, Glock 44, etc.) but overall, I think Colt nailed it. I'm not holding my breath on this but I really hope they release some royal blued Pythons.

People love to hate on Colt (and in some cases they kind of deserve it) but I give them a lot of credit for bringing back their snake line up of revolvers and actually making them at least as well, if not arguably better then the originals unlike S&W who's putting out ugly, lower quality versions of their classics.

I just picked up my KG 3" the other day. Haven't shot it yet because I don't have any ammo for it but so far I'm impressed.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 8:00:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Just picked up my new Python, and it's beautiful.

I can't wait to shoot it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 9:31:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Do yourself a favor and look at a Kimber K6S before you buy a Colt revolver.  The Kimber is better in every way in my opinion, and I have been a Colt fan a LONG time.
View Quote

If you had told me 5 years ago that Kimber, of all manufacturers, would have made a revolver as solid as the K6S is said to be, I would have thought you were joking. Very interesting firearm.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 8:20:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/Vkwowqc.jpg
View Quote

Nice!

Curious... why did you go with the 6" version vs the 4.25" ver? I ask because I'm having that debate myself?
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 9:31:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Nice.

Normally a 6" just seems to be a bit too much, but for the Python is just seems right.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:25:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Nice!

Curious... why did you go with the 6" version vs the 4.25" ver? I ask because I'm having that debate myself?
View Quote

My rationalization is that 6" has more velocity to take advantage of the .357 magnum, but the honest answer is I wanted the revolver from Walking Dead.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 2:35:34 PM EDT
[#18]
If i was going to get the python id get the 6". I would need new holsters anyway might as well get the 6.

Part of me knows if i got a 4, or shorter if they make them id carry them in kydex
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 3:58:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Nice.

Normally a 6" just seems to be a bit too much, but for the Python is just seems right.
View Quote

I'm with you. I normally find the 6" guns a bit too long and really don't care about the extra velocity (or even the nod to Rick Grimes) but yet there is something that just seems "right" about a 6" Python (phallic jokes aside lol).

Link Posted: 6/18/2020 11:12:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

@C4H10FO2P

I can't wait to shoot it, too.  You need to bring that with you next time you're back here.  

I'd like to think that I was a bad good influence on you regarding this purchase.  

Link Posted: 6/18/2020 11:17:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

@C4H10FO2P

I can't wait to shoot it, too.  You need to bring that with you next time you're back here.  

I'd like to think that I was a bad good influence on you regarding this purchase.  

View Quote

Deal.
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 12:24:38 PM EDT
[#22]
I have an older Agent refitted with a 3" Detective Special barrel. Just picked up a 4" KingCobra. I have yet to shoot the new one, it's out getting a new custom holster made for it right now. I'll post some photos of the two of them next week.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 10:11:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Not a great pic but here's my new King Cobra...

Waiting on some ammo so I can go shoot it

Would love to put some nice wood grips on it but haven't found anything I like yet (and the factory grips do fit well and will probably be easier on the hands)
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 2:40:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Not a great pic but here's my new King Cobra...

https://i.imgur.com/Gp0Tdp5.jpg

Waiting on some ammo so I can go shoot it

Would love to put some nice wood grips on it but haven't found anything I like yet (and the factory grips do fit well and will probably be easier on the hands)
View Quote
Hogue makes wood grips also.

I have had cocobolo wooden hogue grips on a browning hi power, a Blackhawk, and have them coming for a S&W TRR8.  No complaints on any of them (other than that I sent the Blackhawk grips back because they weren't as thick as I was hoping.  Gorgeous, though.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 3:27:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hogue makes wood grips also.

I have had cocobolo wooden hogue grips on a browning hi power, a Blackhawk, and have them coming for a S&W TRR8.  No complaints on any of them (other than that I sent the Blackhawk grips back because they weren't as thick as I was hoping.  Gorgeous, though.
View Quote

Thanks. I've seen those but 3 things...

1. I would like to see what the checkered versions will end up looking like? Right now they are listed as "Pre-order"

2. I'm not sure but I might prefer it if they wrapped around the backstrap? But mostly...

3. The pic on their own site doesn't instill much confidence about their craftsmanship

Link Posted: 6/28/2020 8:26:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have an older Agent refitted with a 3" Detective Special barrel. Just picked up a 4" KingCobra. I have yet to shoot the new one, it's out getting a new custom holster made for it right now. I'll post some photos of the two of them next week.
View Quote

As promised: 4" King Cobra with factory front night sight, Cape Buffalo holster and 2x2x2 ammo carrier;

My 3" Colt Agent, fitted with a 3" Detective Special barrel, XS Big Dot Front sight, CeraKoated Burnt Bronze and black, and a Bobbed Hammer. I can hit six plates in 5.5 seconds at 15 yards with this one all day long.

Link Posted: 6/29/2020 6:58:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If you had told me 5 years ago that Kimber, of all manufacturers, would have made a revolver as solid as the K6S is said to be, I would have thought you were joking. Very interesting firearm.
View Quote

I love my 2” K6S and looking to add a 4” as well.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 10:33:58 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

Wonderful combo!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top