Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2022 6:41:16 PM EDT
I went to the LGS and picked up some 327 Federal Gold Dots. When I got home I noticed that the brass was not the typical shiny color. It was slightly darker, which I think is from oxidization (metallurgy is not something I know much about). The bullets themselves look like new.

I see no other issues. No green corrosion. Just that the brass is slightly darker.

I don't care what it looks like. I just want to make sure that this isn't a sign that it is compromised.  Obviously there's no way for anyone to know for sure but how concerned should I be about this ammo?

327 is hard to find and not popular so it's conceivable that these boxes sat on the shelf for a year or more before I got them. It is the new style boxes so it's not all that old. The boxes look fine and show no signs of water damage or any damage at all.

Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:47:02 AM EDT
[#1]
You should be fine.  As long as it’s not green.  I’m actually surprised they are loaded in brass cases but then again Hornady was having to load their rounds in brass cases rather than nickel plated cases due to the ammo shortage.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 10:27:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You should be fine.  As long as it’s not green.  I’m actually surprised they are loaded in brass cases but then again Hornady was having to load their rounds in brass cases rather than nickel plated cases due to the ammo shortage.
View Quote

That's a solid point I had not considered. I checked the website and it specifies a nickel case for this ammo. I sent Speer a message to see what they say.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 6:08:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That's a solid point I had not considered. I checked the website and it specifies a nickel case for this ammo. I sent Speer a message to see what they say.
View Quote

I was on Sig's website hunting for some specific ammo and they have a notice up that stuff that is traditionally nickle plated will be plain brass because of supply chain issues.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 10:25:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Speer got back to me quickly. Turns out it's from a 2017 lot where they briefly used brass. Five years explains the tarnish. I'm surprised that even in this ammo crunch it stayed on the shelf this long.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 12:51:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Speer got back to me quickly. Turns out it's from a 2017 lot where they briefly used brass. Five years explains the tarnish. I'm surprised that even in this ammo crunch it stayed on the shelf this long.
View Quote

You should be fine. I have some 30 year old Winchester Silvertips with brass cases that were stored in a plastic ammo box. Still fires.  Actually a little more stout than the current loading.  It has brass cases not as shiny but work 100%
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top