Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2020 12:32:32 PM EDT
I've got an old style Vaquero with a 2 digit serial number prefix, 53, that I believe dates to about 1994.  Is it the old style or the new style that can handle full retard level loads well in excess of the cowboy action loads?  I have read conflicting info online and I wanted to see if you fellows had a good source of info.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 1:05:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Heavy hunting loads can break a Ruger Blackhawk.  I have seent it.

Perhaps you should mention what actual loads you are looking at.

I will add that you will not enjoy loads that approach maximum with a Ruger.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:46:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not a fellow but I'll give it a whirl.  The old models with the 2 digit prefix are the strong versions.  The original Vaquero was built on the same large frame as the Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk.  They are safe to shoot with any of the "Ruger Only" loads.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 9:46:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Look up Brian Pierce. He writes for Handloader magazine and has all sorts of data for old vaquero Ruger only loads. 11.1 of Longshot behind a hard cast rcbs 45-270 SSA is right at 1000fps out of my 4-5/8 vaquero. Great big game load that’s still easy to shoot.

Edit @aaron762
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top