Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2020 7:49:10 AM EDT
I thought on it for a while and went with a Smith Gov , silver finish I picked up Fri night , ordered a Deasntis blk open top leather holster ,picked some 45 Colt ammo ,and Win PDX 410 and Rem 6 shot , I should be good to go . got it for my ATV gun and truck gun . I have Smith L frames and 27`s but just wanted one a little different. I looked it over and lubed it up a little looks ready , will try out today
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 10:01:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn’t trust the .410 loads for defense.   A Friend used a Taurus Judge while pumping oil wells.  She carried .410 shot for use against snakes and 45 Colt for 2 legged or 4 legged predators. They’re a versatile firearm but after testing the .410 is best for pest control or small game at close range.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 7:52:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I just wanted this gun for some reason when riding ATV , and also a truck gun . I worked the gas well jobs when it was big time in PA then the rotten dem`s wanted to tax them to death , I saw big fat rattlesnakes almost every day on new well pads and  the roads in . If they didn't bother me I let them alone some guys killed all they would see .
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 9:07:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I carry a S&W Governor while paddling the Florida backwaters. I keep the first three chambers loaded with #7.5 "snake-shot" backed up with three rounds of Georgia Arms "Deer Stopper" .45 Colt load for anything that shrugs off the birdshot. I also keep two full moon clips of .45acp in my vest pocket for quick reloads if needed.

I used to carry #9 for snakes based on the pellet count. However, I switched to #7.5 after more testing convinced me that my pattern was much tighter with the slightly larger shot. So, less pellets overall but more concentrated on a snake's head sized target.

I prefer the .410 revolver against snakes in areas where errant shots, ricochets and over-penetration pose the greatest liability.

BTW- If at all possible, I leave venomous snakes alone and I am more than willing to move out of their way if possible. The .410 is there in case we can't come to an understanding.

I carry mine in a Galco "Miami" shoulder holster under a fishing vest that still screams "CC" unfortunately. In the boat, it is much easier to carry and much easier to draw than on my waist.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 5:32:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I have been testing my new Gov and it seems right on with the 45 acp and the 45 Colt ammo . I picked up some Fed 6 shot and also Win PDX , also had a few box  45 Gap Gold Dot , they fit good on the moon clips 200 gr loaded them up and they shot like a tac driver no problem , when they are all I won`t pick any more up but had a Glock 37 for a good while and found the ammo in the garage .I let the snakes alone if I can also , when I worked on gas well jobs big one are every where .
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 4:31:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I ran some Fed 4 shot and this packed a wallop with that stuff also 6 shot , also ran 45 stuff shoots right on this Gov will make a great ATV gun .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top