Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2018 11:37:49 PM EDT
I just got a new Shadow 2 and took it to the range for the first time and was getting lots of failure to fires.  I would pull the trigger SA and would get no ignition and then when I pulled again DA the round would fire.  Unfortunately I only had one type of ammo with me that day so that could very well be the issue and I will be trying to get out and send some other types of ammo through it when I can, but I was curious if there is anything else that I should check before I am able to get out to the range again.  Thanks for the help in advance.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 1:15:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Clean it
lube it
get different ammo, preferably a few different kinds
shoot the snot out of it
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 8:28:04 AM EDT
[#2]
were you shootin' Russian ammo?
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 6:03:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds more like hard primers. The Shadow isn't quite a duty pistol. That slicker trigger means softer springs.

Try another few brands of ammo. US made preferably, we typically have soft primers.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 8:20:53 PM EDT
[#4]
It was not Russian ammo, it was ammo from a remanufacturer.  I have shot about a 1000 rounds through other guns so thought it would be ok, but I will try some others and see if my results get better.  I have already cleaned and lubed it before I went out the first time. Thanks for the replys so far.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 8:32:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It was not Russian ammo, it was ammo from a remanufacturer.  I have shot about a 1000 rounds through other guns so thought it would be ok, but I will try some others and see if my results get better.  I have already cleaned and lubed it before I went out the first time. Thanks for the replys so far.
View Quote
I'd start there.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 11:35:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'd start there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd start there.
Yep. If he was using Wolf, Tula, or Unis Ginex primers that's the issue.
Match guns don't like milspec or Warsaw Pact  primers.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 12:29:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
I would start with some over the shelf range ammo but not CCI because CCI uses harder primers if you reload use federal primers they are soft and work well in a S&W 929 that I have a APEX hammer and spring in
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 12:36:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I have Cajun Gun Works extended firing pins in all my CZ’s and I haven’t had any trouble getting a variety of different ammo to function. Cheap insurance, although I think the primers in your ammo might be high.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 2:48:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah, don't shoot other peoples reloads. Even if they brand themselves as a re-manufacturer.
You're just asking for trouble.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 11:24:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I’m willing to bet it’s the ammo as other have said.
Any pics of the rounds that failed to fire?
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 7:21:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Been away from this a bit and haven't been able to shoot much recently.  I put a few rounds(50-75) through it at my brothers and I don't believe we had any failures that day, but don't remember the type of ammo that we were shooting.

I am getting ready to order some 10 rounders and get out to the range out here now that I am back on the island and will report back on if I have any issues.

What brands of loaded ammo have federal primers in them that are good for range ammo with soft primers?  Unfortunately I probably wont be reloading for the next 2 years or so, but rather just collecting brass.

Also all the rounds that failed on the first strike shot on the second strike.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:23:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Also all the rounds that failed on the first strike shot on the second strike.
View Quote
That's indicative of high (improper seating depth) primers.

What happens is that your first hammer fall actually seats the primer to correct depth, causing it to bottom out in the primer pocket.  The second hammer fall sets it off as normal.

As has been noted, reman ammo is a crap shoot.  Stay away from it.  Any major brand of new, factory ammo is going to be fine, don't worry about chasing stuff that uses Fed primers.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:59:56 PM EDT
[#13]
there is a bunch of top notch "reman" ammo out there.

JCCA, AngelFire, and a few others.

I would RUN from Freedom.

I would say the Shadow 2 loves 147ish Subsonic ammo.

I run 150gr Subs from S&B and it loves it. Well, did, until i sold it
But I like my Czechamte better, so, WINNING!
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 8:43:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That's indicative of high (improper seating depth) primers.

What happens is that your first hammer fall actually seats the primer to correct depth, causing it to bottom out in the primer pocket.  The second hammer fall sets it off as normal.

As has been noted, reman ammo is a crap shoot.  Stay away from it.  Any major brand of new, factory ammo is going to be fine, don't worry about chasing stuff that uses Fed primers.
View Quote
Hard primers do the same thing if you have a light hammer spring. First hit dents the cup enough for the second to fire it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 1:49:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quit goofing around and go buy a couple of boxes of decent Federal or Hornady factory ammo then see where you're at.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top