Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2021 9:49:28 PM EDT
A few days ago I brought home a new Ruger Wrangler, gave it a good cleaning, loaded it up and started shooting at my steel targets.  Right away I wasn't happy with the accuracy so I put up a paper target to see where it was hitting and it was all over with keyhole impacts.  I cleaned it again and had the same results with various brands of ammo. I contacted Ruger today and they are having me send it in for inspection.  This is my first time dealing with a defective new firearm in fifty years of shooting!
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:54:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Made to a low price point, something has to give when you do that.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:55:27 PM EDT
[#2]
There’s a reason Ruger has really good customer service.

Sorry to hear OP, but they’ll take care of it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:04:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Is the barrel rifled?

Sometimes they forget that detail.

Link Posted: 9/30/2021 9:59:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is the barrel rifled?

Sometimes they forget that detail.

View Quote
This has my attention...  
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 10:35:30 AM EDT
[#5]
If it's your first time in 50 years of shooting you're doing pretty good.  Every big manufacturer puts out a lemon occasionally.  It happens.  Ruger will sort it out for you.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 11:56:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Wait until your brand new Bisley Super Blackhawk Hunter in 44mag comes with a .452 barrel instead the correct .429 one.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 2:52:09 PM EDT
[#7]
We have one in our club and so far it's been just fine.  Not as nice as our Single Six, but perfectly serviceable.

Ruger will take care of it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 3:00:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought a Springfield XD-S that was keyholing like crazy.  I sent it in.
They sent it back with a target with 3 closely spaced, perfectly round holes, telling me I must be limp-wristing the pistol.

I was not happy with that response.

Link Posted: 10/1/2021 3:43:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Guy had a S&W shield on here a few years back.

They forgot to rifle the barrel.

Not only is that detrimental to accuracy, it's also a Federal NFA violation as the firearm is now considered an Any Other Weapon.

There is no exception in the law for an accidental oversight, so technically S&W, the Distributor, Dealer, and final purchaser all violated the NFA by not transferring and registering the firearm with the NFRTR each time it changed hands!
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 6:49:59 PM EDT
[#10]
My Super Single Six 22/22WMR does that with 22 shorts. What ammo were you using?
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 8:43:23 PM EDT
[#11]
OP, you're surprised your $160 revolver has problems?

Fortunately Ruger has a lot of experience fixing their crap guns.  I carry a Ruger every day, but wish they'd put out a higher quality product.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 9:56:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My Super Single Six 22/22WMR does that with 22 shorts. What ammo were you using?
View Quote

Aguila super extra, Winchester super X. CCI mini mags. All good quality ammo that functions fine in all my other .22 LR guns.  The pistol is now on its way to Ruger for inspection and hopefully a fix.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 10:34:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Ruger decided the revolver was "beyond repair" and sent a new one to my FFL.  It was delivered with a test target with no keyholes.  I'll hopefully be able to shoot it tomorrow or Thursday.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 10:45:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Mine shoots just fine, although I'd like to see a version with a  6" barrel.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 10:48:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I really wanted one till my friends bought them and started complaining about issues.  I wish Ruger would add 100bucks to the price tag and improve the quality and qc.  At this point I'm just gonna hold out for a single six or something nicer.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:10:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If it's your first time in 50 years of shooting you're doing pretty good.  Every big manufacturer puts out a lemon occasionally.  It happens. Ruger will sort it out for you.
View Quote

This is a well documented thing across this forum. This is not a one off. It’s the reason that I won’t even shell out ~$200 for something that will likely end up a dud.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 11:54:24 PM EDT
[#17]
The new one shoots great!  Very happy now!

Link Posted: 11/27/2021 12:40:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The new one shoots great!  Very happy now!
http://i.imgur.com/NMiotNj.jpg
View Quote
Excellent! Glad they took care of you!
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 10:01:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Really want to take a chance on a birdhead short barrel and will do so. The only bad rugers I had involved barrels that had bores violated by rifling cut so rough it was plated by lead. Those would key hole!

In particular was a 10/22 ss takedown that would accumulate lead almost to the point of obstructing the bore. I swapped it out for a 16inch threaded that is a freaking tack driver and never gets anything but the chamber fouled.

Yes I love rugers and have 7 of them.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 6:32:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Really want to take a chance on a birdhead short barrel and will do so. The only bad rugers I had involved barrels that had bores violated by rifling cut so rough it was plated by lead. Those would key hole!

In particular was a 10/22 ss takedown that would accumulate lead almost to the point of obstructing the bore. I swapped it out for a 16inch threaded that is a freaking tack driver and never gets anything but the chamber fouled.

Yes I love rugers and have 7 of them.
View Quote

I've been wanting a birdshead Single-Six ever since they instantly sold out of them.

Found one on Gunbroker recently... for $1500.

So the birdshead Wrangler has my attention.

Because I only have 5 Rugers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top