Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2018 10:18:07 AM EDT
I'm trying to hammer down a new competition pistol for 3-gun, USPSA, IDPA, Steel Challenge, etc. Essentially, a do it all, except carry, pistol. I do qualify for military pricing through CZ-USA, however, they are not selling non-phantom SP-01's through the program this year. My first instinct, was to bump up to a shadow 2, which is at a very healthy discount. However, the cost is still above what I really want to spend, and I'm not sure I'm shooting at a level that justifies the pistol, and its associated costs. Another hangup for me is the safety instead of decocker, I'm coming from an XDM, and have concerns that I might risk some procedurals for failing to engage the safety before a dump. The decocker models eliminate that problem.  Which is why i'm torn between the P-09 (omega trigger allows swapping from decocker to safety) and the SP-01 Tactical (decocker only).

So, given the choice, P-09, or for $100 more, SP-01 Tactical? Or, for basically double the price, say screw it and get the Shadow 2?

I will add, I do already have a 75b in 40, so I am familiar with that platform, which is one of the reasons I'm leaning SP-01 Tactical over the P-09
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 10:43:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I have both a SP-01 tactical and P-09.

SP-01 mags are much much cheaper, the trigger fully worked over will be slightly better than the P-09.  Out of the box after some shooting the P-09 trigger is slightly better than the SP-01 with no modifications.  The SP-01 you can change the grips vs the P-09 with a polymer frame.  The P-09 slide is easier to grip and rack than the SP-01.

It is kind of a hard decision for me to tell you which one I would tell you to get.  I like both my P-09 and SP-01 and right now I like my P-09 more because I have Dawson fiber front and black rear sights on it and the SP-01 still has the stock night sights which I do not like.  Once I get around to changing the sights out on my SP-01 I will for sure like it more the added weight I can run the pistol super fast and keep on target slightly better.  Both have pros and cons but the ultimate is the Shadow 2 if you can afford it get it the pistol out of the box is full on DD tits.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 10:59:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have both a SP-01 tactical and P-09.

SP-01 mags are much much cheaper, the trigger fully worked over will be slightly better than the P-09.  Out of the box after some shooting the P-09 trigger is slightly better than the SP-01 with no modifications.  The SP-01 you can change the grips vs the P-09 with a polymer frame.  The P-09 slide is easier to grip and rack than the SP-01.

It is kind of a hard decision for me to tell you which one I would tell you to get.  I like both my P-09 and SP-01 and right now I like my P-09 more because I have Dawson fiber front and black rear sights on it and the SP-01 still has the stock night sights which I do not like.  Once I get around to changing the sights out on my SP-01 I will for sure like it more the added weight I can run the pistol super fast and keep on target slightly better.  Both have pros and cons but the ultimate is the Shadow 2 if you can afford it get it the pistol out of the box is full on DD tits.
View Quote
One of my hangups on the shadow 2 is the weight, its about 3.5 ounces above IDPA limits for SSP/ESP. I dont currently shot much IDPA... but the option is something I'd like to have. Maybe it would be wise to start with a P-09 and work from there. Anything is likely to be an upgrade to my XDM
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 11:17:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Maybe the SP-01 is for you...
Here is mine I have a full CGW trigger pack done to it, different grips, and soon different sights I do not much care for the stock night sights the back sight notch is narrow and the front sight is wide.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 11:25:04 AM EDT
[#4]
How serious are you.

If you're just a fun gunner, go cheap. P-09. Sub $450, $100 in work done to it and you have a real nice fun gunner.

If you think you might be more than a fun gunner, get the Shadow. You don't want to really get into it and think to yourself "for another $450, I could have had the Shadow".

Or, throw the whole CZ thing out, buy a Tanfoglio P_Match Pro single action for Sub $600 and call it a day. ($20 mags too).

Link Posted: 1/12/2018 12:57:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
How serious are you.

If you're just a fun gunner, go cheap. P-09. Sub $450, $100 in work done to it and you have a real nice fun gunner.

If you think you might be more than a fun gunner, get the Shadow. You don't want to really get into it and think to yourself "for another $450, I could have had the Shadow".

Or, throw the whole CZ thing out, buy a Tanfoglio P_Match Pro single action for Sub $600 and call it a day. ($20 mags too).

https://media.server.theshootingwarehouse.com/large/26347.jpg

View Quote
Currently, just a fun gunner. But, I am finishing in the upper half of all the matches I compete in, and that’s using an XDM in 45acp. I know moving to 9mm will have a positive impact on my times, it’s just a matter of how much. I’m leaning towards the middle of the pack. I have no doubts a SP-01 could be made to shoot just as nice as a Shadow 2, and am willing to spend that money if I find it is something I need. On the other hand, out of the box, I believe it will be a significant upgrade to what I have, and is only slightly more than the P-09, while being $400 less than a gun I can’t even use if I want to go to an IDPA match.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 3:01:10 PM EDT
[#6]
You can definitely make a SP-01 very close if not the same as a Shadow but not a Shadow2.  The real big difference between my SP-01 and a Shadow 1 right now is the bushing and sights which will be changed when I get around to getting the difference sights.  The trigger in mine right now is probably better than a Shadow 1 with the whole CGW kit.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 3:15:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I would first recommend you consider the regular SP-01 over the tactical version for a competition gun.  That gives you the safety for SAO shooting it you choose, or the option to manually decock if you need to shoot DA/SA.

That said, I have both a P-09 with complete Cajun Pro package installed (and the decocker swapped out for the safety), and I have a PCR with basically the Cajun Carry package but minus their hammer.

The upgrades to the P-09 are a big improvement to the SA break and reset.  It's like a 2-stage trigger where there is some very light take-up to a wall, and then with a few pounds it breaks clean.  The DA pull is better than stock, but still leaves much to be desired.  I use this for 3-gun and IDPA ESP

The PCR is my carry gun, and even though this model has the decocker, I can confidently say that the Cajun upgrades for the classic metal framed models will yield much better improvement than the P-07/09 series.  My PCR has such a light, smooth, and short DA pull that it rivals some striker fired guns I've shot, and the SA is scary light.  It has the best trigger and reset I've ever used on a service pistol, bar none.  Besides use for carry, I also sometimes shoot it in IDPA CCP division.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 5:17:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I would first recommend you consider the regular SP-01 over the tactical version for a competition gun.  That gives you the safety for SAO shooting it you choose, or the option to manually decock if you need to shoot DA/SA.

That said, I have both a P-09 with complete Cajun Pro package installed (and the decocker swapped out for the safety), and I have a PCR with basically the Cajun Carry package but minus their hammer.

The upgrades to the P-09 are a big improvement to the SA break and reset.  It's like a 2-stage trigger where there is some very light take-up to a wall, and then with a few pounds it breaks clean.  The DA pull is better than stock, but still leaves much to be desired.  I use this for 3-gun and IDPA ESP

The PCR is my carry gun, and even though this model has the decocker, I can confidently say that the Cajun upgrades for the classic metal framed models will yield much better improvement than the P-07/09 series.  My PCR has such a light, smooth, and short DA pull that it rivals some striker fired guns I've shot, and the SA is scary light.  It has the best trigger and reset I've ever used on a service pistol, bar none.  Besides use for carry, I also sometimes shoot it in IDPA CCP division.
View Quote
My DA pull on my P-09 is actually quite nice even with the heavier of the duty springs.  I can ring a IPSC torso steel target from draw DA trigger pull on a target at 100m with ease.  Cajun upgrades for CZs are amazing.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 5:55:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My DA pull on my P-09 is actually quite nice even with the heavier of the duty springs.  I can ring a IPSC torso steel target from draw DA trigger pull on a target at 100m with ease.  Cajun upgrades for CZs are amazing.
View Quote
I may have worded that poorly.  Yes, the Cajun Pro Package DA pull on the P-09 is nice and an absolute improvement, but I think it's a factor of how poor the stock DA pull feels (to me), plus how much MORE impressive the Cajun parts were in my PCR's DA pull.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 6:23:20 PM EDT
[#10]
One thing about the DA pull in the P09/07 is the trigger bar spring pushes tension on the bar.  If you bend that spring down ever so slightly less than 1/8 inch just enough to take some tension off it takes a large about of that stagey stacking feeling in the DA.  Plus you are using an Omega trigger in the P09/07 vs the 75 trigger components where I think the 75 is better from a trigger feel point of view but the Omega is much simpler.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 7:47:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I just couldnt bring myself to spend the $$$$ on the shadow 2, knowing that it was likely a notch or two out of my league, so.... SP-01 Tactical is on order. I do know there is some merit to going with the safety model, but, I would rather have no safety to worry about for dump buckets, and a de-cocker is an interesting addition to my collection, from a diversity perspective. If I find I'm doing more big shoots in the coming year, I can always add a shadow or upgrade the SP-01. Lets be honest, the SP-01 is probably gonna start seeing upgrades after the first few 1000 rounds. Thanks everybody for the advice and thoughts. I'm glad I bumped up from the P-09, mostly because, it was an option because it was cheap, not really for anything beyond that.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 11:59:28 AM EDT
[#13]
I dunno.....either the Shadow 2 or a cajunized SP-01

I have the S2 and miss my SP-01 ( Cajunized).

for about $1000 you can have a top notch SP-01

for $1100 you can have the S2.

I shoot the S2 in Production class, load it with some 147gr -P 9mm......helluva accurate pistol

Thats all I got
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 12:18:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I used a SP-01 Tactical for 3 Gun and in USPSA limited for a while till going Open with a Tanfoglio Gold Custom.  It would also be great in Steel Challenge.

(I'm also a multi-CZ owner.  Recently picked up a Scorpion to use in both SC and USPSA.  If I don't get chased off from the club when I show up with it on match day!)

Edit to add:
(I'll have to go look at mine, it has a frame safety, no decocker.  I thought that's what defined the Tactical, safety over a decocker.  Oh, and an quick and easy upgrade to the sights: Fiber Optic front.)
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 12:41:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I used a SP-01 Tactical for 3 Gun and in USPSA limited for a while till going Open with a Tanfoglio Gold Custom.  It would also be great in Steel Challenge.

(I'm also a multi-CZ owner.  Recently picked up a Scorpion to use in both SC and USPSA.  If I don't get chased off from the club when I show up with it on match day!)

Edit to add:
(I'll have to go look at mine, it has a frame safety, no decocker.  I thought that's what defined the Tactical, safety over a decocker.  Oh, and an quick and easy upgrade to the sights: Fiber Optic front.)
View Quote
Decocker is what makes the tactical the tactical. Standard SP-01 has safety. For now, after snagging holster, mags, and mag pouches, I'm pumping the brakes on more money into this. I'll shoot the pistol as it comes out of the box for a while. Once i'm ready to start dumping more money into it, FO front sight, and a CGW full kit, i'm leaning towards the "defensive carry package" over the full race gun, a bit higher pull weight, but all the other benefits of the straight race flavor. Defensive Carry Package. With that in mind, i'm going to hold off on ordering bits and pieces from them, as i'll get it all at once with the kit.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 12:57:27 PM EDT
[#16]
If you are changing the sights you might as well change the bushing at the same time when that comes.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 1:04:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you are changing the sights you might as well change the bushing at the same time when that comes.
View Quote
Very good point. I'll add that to the future upgrades list. Bushing, CGW Kit, and FO Front Sight.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 1:09:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Very good point. I'll add that to the future upgrades list. Bushing, CGW Kit, and FO Front Sight.
View Quote
https://cajungunworks.com/product/tr-pin-cgws-exclusive-floating-trigger-pin/
I mentioned this earlier it is not in the package but definitely worth it and much more durable than stock.  Plus looks better you can see it on mine in the pic above it replaces the flared stock roll pin.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 1:46:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
and NOW you are at or above what a Shadow 2 cost.

ETA:

SP-01 = $650
Dawson FO sight set = $80
CGW Kit and bushing - $260 to $340

Shoulda just got the S2
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 1:53:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

ETA:

SP-01 = $650

Shoulda just got the S2
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:

SP-01 = $650

Shoulda just got the S2
Pretty much...   I started with a. sP-01 and added all the shit to it.  I ended up spending more to do that then to just buy the damn shadow.  I sold that gun on here to someone who got it at about a $300 savings when I bought my Accu Shadow.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 4:34:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

https://cajungunworks.com/product/tr-pin-cgws-exclusive-floating-trigger-pin/
I mentioned this earlier it is not in the package but definitely worth it and much more durable than stock.  Plus looks better you can see it on mine in the pic above it replaces the flared stock roll pin.
View Quote
Trigger pin is included in the kit, you can see it in the top center of the images of the kit contents.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 4:41:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

ETA:

SP-01 = $650

Shoulda just got the S2
View Quote
Nah, I'm still happier knowing, once its done, it'll have been something I did myself. And, hopefully is still light enough to play in IDPA.

SP-01 - $590 shipped
Trigger Kit + Bushing = $180+$60 ($240)
Fibre Optic Sight set: $89

$919. Still safely under the cost of a shadow 2.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 8:59:36 PM EDT
[#23]
I went this route, no regrets.

Cz shadow
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 9:06:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Nah, I'm still happier knowing, once its done, it'll have been something I did myself. And, hopefully is still light enough to play in IDPA.

SP-01 - $590 shipped

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:

SP-01 = $650

Shoulda just got the S2

SP-01 - $590 shipped

Only by about $100....  The S2's were on Buds the other day for $1029   Even at $200 more the S2 is the better deal then the built out SP-01

ETA: I started with an SP-01 and broke that puppy in 2 different matches.   I have shot a ton of matches with my Accushadow and haven't had an issue of breakages.

Mag Brake- I guess the back of the mag caught into this on insertion and wrapped it up.  Ruined the mag getting the magazine out.  Bought a new uppity unit and moved on.

Firing Pin retaining pin-  during a match it emptied the whole mag on me when the firing pin got pieces of the pin to stick the firing pin forward.    I had pics of it on here a few years ago.  The FP ate right through the pin.    This is a non-issue on a Shadow.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 9:12:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Only by about $100....  The S2's were on Buds the other day for $1029   Even at $200 more the S2 is the better deal then the built out SP-01
View Quote
But, you still havent solved the excess weight that would prevent me from using it in IDPA. And, I'm happy with the decocker over a safety. But, I admit I likely could have gotten a bit more with the shadow. If I destroy this season and knock out some top finishes, I'll reward myself next winter with a shadow.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 9:55:29 PM EDT
[#26]

Quite possibly the best shooting pistol I've got. That being said, 750 rounds in so far, and I broke down for a CGW defensive carry kit, barrel bushing, and front F/O sight. I'll leave the rear sight alone, just going to a narrower F/O front. While doing the install, I'll likely follow some of the CZ guru advice and do some fine polishing on the trigger bar, slide, and sear cage.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 11:02:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/266316/IMG_8525_JPG-426054.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/266316/C8EA3860-9ED5-400B-AF54-0764C55B1491-426946.jpg

Quite possibly the best shooting pistol I've got. That being said, 750 rounds in so far, and I broke down for a CGW defensive carry kit, barrel bushing, and front F/O sight. I'll leave the rear sight alone, just going to a narrower F/O front. While doing the install, I'll likely follow some of the CZ guru advice and do some fine polishing on the trigger bar, slide, and sear cage.
View Quote
Very nice!
Does that one have night sights?  I hate the sights on my SP01 and plan when I get around to it putting Dawson sights on it.(CGW uses Dawson as well)
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 8:22:01 AM EDT
[#28]
These polls are always funny. You will have about 80% telling you the one they bought is best weather it is or isnt. The best way to make a decision like this is to go shoot both and decide what works best for you. No pistol works the same for everyone and what may be good for me may be really bad for you. There are a lot of variables that play into what's best for you that have zero to do with the pistol.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 8:45:51 PM EDT
[#29]
... this thread went exactly as predicted.

Holy crap CGW turned this thing into a monster. Live fire test day tomorrow
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 10:38:12 PM EDT
[#30]
If you are serious about competing - SP01 Shadow Custom or Shadow 2 (resprung).  If you just want to make holes in paper, then whatever you like.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 12:41:05 AM EDT
[#31]
How'd the surgery on it go?
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 6:45:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
How'd the surgery on it go?
View Quote
All things considered, pretty well. The bushing was a PITA to get out. I had to move from my gentle, brass/plastic hammer, to a real hammer to drive the old one out. I froze the new bushing, so it wasn’t too bad.

Front sight was relatively simple, sand till it would slide into the dovetail about 1/4”, then drove it in with the hammer.

My only real negative thoughts right now are, despite the light pull weights, I kind of wish the single action trigger pull was shorter. Yes, the reset point is only about 1/4” from full lock, but starting from a cocked hammer, there is roughly 1/2” of travel before you hit the same spot you would on reset. I’m thinking a CGW disconnector would fix this, or shorten it some. Thoughts? I can’t do the 85 trigger, because it’s against USPSA production rules. (Visible modification outside of the pistol).
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 5:59:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

All things considered, pretty well. The bushing was a PITA to get out. I had to move from my gentle, brass/plastic hammer, to a real hammer to drive the old one out. I froze the new bushing, so it wasn’t too bad.

Front sight was relatively simple, sand till it would slide into the dovetail about 1/4”, then drove it in with the hammer.

My only real negative thoughts right now are, despite the light pull weights, I kind of wish the single action trigger pull was shorter. Yes, the reset point is only about 1/4” from full lock, but starting from a cocked hammer, there is roughly 1/2” of travel before you hit the same spot you would on reset. I’m thinking a CGW disconnector would fix this, or shorten it some. Thoughts? I can’t do the 85 trigger, because it’s against USPSA production rules. (Visible modification outside of the pistol).
View Quote
You get used to the trigger take up the more you shoot and it becomes and after thought.  Really under live fire you never notice.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 11:26:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 12:23:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Yep, for $880 I would order the sp01 Shadow from CZ custom. Every bit as good as the shadow 2 but almost 4oz lighter. You can shoot in idpa and USPSA. What you save will get mags and holster.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 5:30:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I went this route, no regrets.

Cz shadow
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 3:40:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Shadow 2.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 1:31:09 AM EDT
[#38]
I voted for the p09 because I hate the regular curved trigger. After about 100 rounds it will give me a nice blister.

I wouldn't mind having a p01 omega and sp01 omega (do they make that?)
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 4:56:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Got a chance this past weekend to use the Cajunized SP-01 Tactical in not one, but TWO matches this past weekend. I was middle of the pack my first match, a sanctioned USPSA match, but did manage to shoot C class on the qualifier. I was 8th in the second match, and outlaw pistol match, but, would have taken 1st if I hadn’t thrown some misses and taken penalties. For literally forgetting about two targets on one stage.

Summary? This gun CAN shoot, and I hope to move those times and scores up. These were my first matches 15 months (I was deployed all of 2017 and got to shoot zero matches, so I was a tad rusty). If I’m lucky, I’ll be dropping into C class, or maybe even B class, before summer is out.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 7:30:44 PM EDT
[#40]
After shooting my SP01 today for the first time, I’ll echo the same sentiment. Love be my SP01 but a Shadow is in the future.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 4:47:10 AM EDT
[#41]
I remain thrilled with the SP-01.

I’m consistently shooting C class or high right now, and hope to push into B class by the end of this season.

One plus side of a decocker model, is getting yelled at by every RO for not engaging my safety, and being able to reply that if I had one, I’d be happy to engage it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top