Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2023 2:45:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: engineer61]
Saw the American Rifleman article on the new P15 Kel-Tec, and they mention that the metal slide rail assembly bolts to the polymer grip frame, instead of being in the mold when the plastic is injected to bond/mechanically interlock with the polymer as part of the grip frame.
Is the mold cost and molding process that much easier & faster not having to put the frame rails into the mold to make up for the extra cost for the bolts, tapping the holes in the slide rail part and labor to assemble the two parts? Kel-tec has always been about being the least cost option that still works, and I just don't know enough about the molding process, leaving me to wonder about this method of making a pistol.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 2:50:54 PM EDT
[#1]
My P11 from 2003 has 3 plastic pins that hold the grip to the aluminum frame.  They've been doing it for a long time.  It allows them to offer an all-metal version without making 2 different frames in the P15's case.  Would rather have screws than pins, seems like it'd be more secure.  I have broken one frame pin in the past, shooting +P speer a wee bit too much.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 7:39:04 PM EDT
[#2]
A while back I was thinking of using the P15 as a daily carry option, but I never tried shooting one to get an idea of the reliability of function. A metal P15 is something I'd consider, depending on parts availability.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top