Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2018 8:58:05 AM EDT
I bought a 2001, never fired, Baer SRP from a member here this weekend. It is absolutely sexy.
Extremely tight, like my UTC, to the point it is almost impossible to rack the slide.
I was surprised by how grippy the wood grips are. Same crappy night sights that my UTC has, that will eventually get swapped out.
Trigger is very nice, heavier than my Valor's but nice and crisp. Ambi snicks on and off nicely.
Can't wait to get it to the range to put a few hundred through it.

Will change out the sights soon, add a magwell, and maybe change out the three hole trigger to solid as I don't care for the three hole triggers.

Link Posted: 6/18/2018 9:28:49 AM EDT
[#1]
That is a very nice looking 1911 OP.  Congrats on your new pistol.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 9:33:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Baer’s version of a  Springfield Pro.  A Custom Carry with a better black finish.   I think Baer used some kind of Teflon paint  from DuPont.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 9:41:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Baer's version of a  Springfield Pro.  A Custom Carry with a better black finish.   I think Baer used some kind of Teflon paint  from DuPont.
View Quote
Supposedly it should have Bearcoat and not the Dupont S that Baer uses now.
I will probably never put enough rounds through it to know the difference.

Seems like a nice finish.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 10:10:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Sweet sweet sweet
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 11:06:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sweet sweet sweet
View Quote
What he said!
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 11:46:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Very nice. I suspect you got a nice deal on it. Enjoy and post pics of your range visit!
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 8:59:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice....have you made decision on sights?
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 10:11:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice blaster....

Always wanted to grab up,a TRP but definitely would change sights and I prefer flat trigger
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 8:49:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nice....have you made decision on sights?
View Quote
10-8 Rear and Dawson FO front are my go to.
The Rear won't be a problem, but I have never tried to change a Baer front with the Blind pin.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 1:56:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Went for a short range session at lunch, got to shoot 240 rounds. No malfunctions what so ever. Gun is very accurate. No issues with the 5 mags I brought, Wilson and Checkmate.Two issues did arise, one I knew about.

1. Baer's silver outlined night sights just plain suck. Especially at our indoor range. The rear sight becomes a giant silver blob overtaking the front sight. The fact that I have been recovering from an eye issue didn't help either.
No biggy, white paint will go on the front and a 10-8 will be ordered today. The white will do fine until I decide whether I'm man enough to try and change the blind pinned front with a Dawson.

2. The thumb safety is very stiff to engage, disengaging is fine. Will work itself out with use.

So overall, with a minor round count, no issues to speak of. Took it straight out of whatever CLP drenched bag Baer sends it in, wiped it off and shot it.

The wood grips did surprise me as to how well they stuck to my hand. They are ugly, but they work.

I won't post my target as it would not be impressive and I didn't take a pic of it anyway.

Link Posted: 6/19/2018 4:43:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Those rear sights are horrible but the front works well with a 10-8 rear.

The thumb safety probably needs to be tuned to engage easier.   The detent plunger is never going to smooth out the safety.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 8:20:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Awesome that it works!  Will likely be a functionally perfect 1911 that will last a lifetime. Those grips do look like checkered turds tho.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 10:21:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Mo betta, fitting the 10-8 sight was a biatch.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 9:53:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Lol.   Baer’s dovetails are Novak...-ish.

I like the grips you put on there.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 10:17:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Lol.   Baer's dovetails are Novak...-ish.

I like the grips you put on there.
View Quote
LOL. Yep. Both UTC's weren't terrible, maybe 10 mins with a file, though I went a swipe or two too much on the 45. This motherfucker was like 45 mins and test fit, nope gouged the shit out of the sight, file some more, rinse and repeat.
Thanks, I bought them for the HC TRSC, but they just didn't look right, they are perfect for the SRP though.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 1:18:34 PM EDT
[#16]
My SRP is my favorite handgun. I don't know why I buy anything else as this thing is just married to my hand. 10-8 rear and Dawson FO front on mine too.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 8:14:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My SRP is my favorite handgun. I don't know why I buy anything else as this thing is just married to my hand. 10-8 rear and Dawson FO front on mine too.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/55367/IMG_20180212_180409-585944.JPG
View Quote
Mine needs a Dawson. Did you install yours yourself? Did you drill the blind pin or just hammer the sight off?
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 8:23:49 AM EDT
[#18]
I had a local gunsmith who specializes in 19/2011s do mine, and he drilled the pin out.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 8:51:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I had a local gunsmith who specializes in 19/2011s do mine, and he drilled the pin out.
View Quote
I see, I'll probably just end up sending the slide to Alchemy, whenever his time permits.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top