Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 11/2/2019 5:40:24 PM EDT
I found a store with a NIB gun for this price.

Is it worth it just to get one as I've kind of always wanted one but I have never shot one.
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 6:04:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd have to pick that up for that price.
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 7:03:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm seriously contemplating it because I doubt I'll ever see one that cheap again.
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 7:18:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one already and would buy a second at that price.
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 7:26:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Like an idiot I didn't have them take it out of the case.  I have huge skinny hands with long assed fingers so I don't think it'd be a problem.  A large frame Glock (non-SF) is still just a bit on the small side for me

What would it really gain me over something like the USP Expert or Tactical series?

Are they eventually going to be collectible?
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 8:55:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Like an idiot I didn't have them take it out of the case.  I have huge skinny hands with long assed fingers so I don't think it'd be a problem.  A large frame Glock (non-SF) is still just a bit on the small side for me

What would it really gain me over something like the USP Expert or Tactical series?

View Quote
Aren't they already kind of rare and collectible? I ain't rolling in it, but that price seems good to me too. Dibs if you pass
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 3:39:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Send me the number of the shop and I'll go make sure it's new and everything is good to go for you.  I'll have it shipped to my ffl for inspection.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 11:45:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I don't know about 'collectible' per se, but they don't seem to have ever gone down in value.  New ones seem to come in batches and there generally seems to be large gaps of time between those batches.

Quoted:
The biggest thing is uniqueness I think. Everybody knows about the Mark 23 but most people you meet at the range have never seen one in person, let alone shot one. When I'm at a public range, people want to talk about it/ask to shoot mine all the time.

For what it's worth, I own a Mark 23 and a plain USP full-size 45. They are my two favorite handguns that I own. The Mark 23 is my pistol suppressor host/range toy, and the USPf-45 is my work horse. I have owned a USP Tactical and it was an awesome pistol, but I found myself still wanting the Mark 23, just because.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 7:56:09 AM EDT
[#8]
It is one of the most oversized,clunky pistols out there but man do I want one. It is a bit of a novelty for regular gun guys as there are other guns that can do the same thing but for a suppression gun, it is one of the best. For $1650 I wouldn't have thought twice. If you can still get it, I would. They are selling for $1900+ for a used one and supplies are drying up. I have wanted one for years and should have bought one years ago when I saw one for $1000. Mind you that was a while back and those days are gone forever. If you decide not to get it, let us know where it is as a few of us would be very interested in getting it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 9:30:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Get it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 9:41:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I decided I didn't really need it as I won't be suppressing it and I just couldn't get past $1650 for a polymer framed gun regardless of how neat or collectible it was.

It was gone last weekend when I happened to go back to the store.

I ordered a DWX instead as it fills my wants more than the MK23.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 10:17:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I decided I didn't really need it as I won't be suppressing it and I just couldn't get past $1650 for a polymer framed gun regardless of how neat or collectible it was.

View Quote
Well please make a new thread with the Dwx once you get some rds down range!
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 10:20:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will do!
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 10:28:15 AM EDT
[#13]
the lowest ive seen was $1400-1500, but your price is certainly still on the low side, as ive seen $2,000 - $2,200 as well. also depends on the case (soft case is collectible and often gets sold off on used ones) and what else comes with it, but maybe thats not an issue if its NIB. the roll marks will also determine its value. ie . Mk 23, Mark 23, MARK 23. - cant remember the difference offhand, but there is a difference in issue date, rarity, etc.

edit, from WIkipedia:
-Military versions of the firearm have the writing "MK23 USSOCOM" engraved on the slide
-Heckler & Koch has offered the MK 23 on the civilian market and law enforcement as the MARK 23
-According to the Operators Manual,[18] there are few differences between the civilian Mark 23 and the government MK 23. These differences are the slide engraving "Mark 23" which is only for the first half of the first year of production in 1996 (KG date code), the roll-mark "MARK 23" which is for mid 1996 to now, these instead of "MK23 USSOCOM", Matte vs shiny finish for different civilian years, tan vs black frame (500 tan ones were made), and a barrel conforming to SAAMI headspace specifications for the military vs civilian made, as the military barrels were made to allow ball ammunition to work more reliably.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 11:31:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well this is irrelevant now, but to answer your question anyway, in all honesty what you gain over those is you have a Mark 23.  It's an iconic gun, and if you have the itch for one, it'll never be scratched by anything else no matter how much you tell yourself "XXX is better because YYY", even if objectively it's right.  The USP Tactical felt better in my hands and has a MUCH better trigger (the Mark 23 is still a great, the USP match trigger is just THAT awesome).  Still got the Mark 23 and glad I did.  It's fun as hell to own and shoot.  FANTASTIC suppressor host, shoots .45 like a 9mm out of a duty sized gun.  I trust it to handle .45 super.

It looks like you don't have that itch, which is fine.  I'm not gonna tell you you messed up by passing on a $1650 purchase you didn't REALLY want.  It IS a little hard to justify from practical points.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 11:39:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Hey OP; what was the name of that gun shop again??......

Got the tactical and the compact tactical.   This is the last missing piece.  Gun safe will be complete.

TLDR.   Get the damn thing now!!!
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 3:09:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hey OP; what was the name of that gun shop again??......

Got the tactical and the compact tactical.   This is the last missing piece.  Gun safe will be complete.

TLDR.   Get the damn thing now!!!
View Quote
Don't forget the Expert and Elite.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 3:12:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I don't know about 'collectible' per se, but they don't seem to have ever gone down in value.  New ones seem to come in batches and there generally seems to be large gaps of time between those batches.

The biggest thing is uniqueness I think. Everybody knows about the Mark 23 but most people you meet at the range have never seen one in person, let alone shot one. When I'm at a public range, people want to talk about it/ask to shoot mine all the time.

For what it's worth, I own a Mark 23 and a plain USP full-size 45. They are my two favorite handguns that I own. The Mark 23 is my pistol suppressor host/range toy, and the USPf-45 is my work horse. I have owned a USP Tactical and it was an awesome pistol, but I found myself still wanting the Mark 23, just because.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/42058/MK23_Tirant45_resized_jpg-1147176.JPG
View Quote
At least put the proper can on that thing.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 3:35:44 PM EDT
[#18]
They were $2K MSRP like 20 years ago. They have gone down in value.

I bought mine for $996 OTD while in Germany, but that was 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 4:42:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Mine goes to the range every time I go and it’s always a crowd pleaser. I’d buy another for $1600 in a minute.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 6:18:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Just got an alert Kentucky gun co has these back in stock 1823 shipped.  I haven’t seen a new one for a while so I figured I’d grab one and sell it for around that if I don’t like it
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 6:56:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Buy it.

If bychance it's an older pistol with the camo case, BUY IT AS FAST AS YOU CAN. Those have collector value too. I came across one for $1800 a couple years ago and the money flew out of my account so fast I imploded a window at my bank.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 8:02:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Buy it.

If bychance it's an older pistol with the camo case, BUY IT AS FAST AS YOU CAN. Those have collector value too. I came across one for $1800 a couple years ago and the money flew out of my account so fast I imploded a window at my bank.
View Quote
Bought one, it looks like that may have been the only one as it's OOS now right after I bought it.  Feels like a lot for a pistol, my previous most expensive pistol was a CZ TSO 9mm for around 1,600.  If I don't like it hopefully I can get my money back.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 10:49:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Bought one, it looks like that may have been the only one as it's OOS now right after I bought it.  Feels like a lot for a pistol, my previous most expensive pistol was a CZ TSO 9mm for around 1,600.  If I don't like it hopefully I can get my money back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Buy it.

If you read a little about what a MK23 can do and how overbuilt it is, it won't seem like so much... have to realize it was designed to be a primary weapon system, not a secondary, despite being a handgun. It was also built to withstand abuse that would destroy your favorite 1911, Beretta 92, SIG P226, Glock anything, etc. and keep on ticking, while maintaining accuracy close to custom pistols costing thousands. And it WILL do that, and more. It's one of the most overbuilt weapons systems in history, the result of SOCOM going to Colt and H&K and saying, "Here is an impossible wishlist which every existing handgun design and all known near future designs would fail to meet. Nevermind cost, can you make it happen?" Including outlandish nonsense requests like being able to remove a squib round by blowing it out with another round without exploding the weapon, and maintain at least 4 MOA with subsequent shots. Colt tried to hit as many of the capability requests as they could (as most would), but H&K proceeded to actually deliver, and the result is the MK23.

The only thing "wrong" with it is the grip; it's built for men with strong size L, XL, or larger hands, and that DA trigger pull needs a long index finger. If you fit that bill you can handle it just fine. If not, it might be a handful in more ways than one and you won't enjoy it as much.

For my part, I love mine and I would never part with it. Turned it into a MK23 Mod 0 OHWS clone.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 6:58:13 PM EDT
[#24]
This thread getting resurrected made me dig my MK23 out. Somehow I shoot my USPc .45 slightly better but my MK23 is my second favorite handgun ever.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top