BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2021 4:03:25 PM EDT
Pertinent teasers photos:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Guessing it's a competition version of the 509.  All the details around the ejection part are identical to my 509T: extractor, optics plate, the little front scallop, barrel hood profile.  Lightening cuts forward of the ejection part usually more of a race gun thing.  Long slide maybe?

Nothing leaked on FN Herstal's global site or any of the major distributors yet that I can find.  Reckon we'll find out Monday.

ETA - 509 LS Edge
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 10:06:11 AM EDT
[#1]
You sir called it. A competition model 509

https://fnamerica.com/edgeseries/
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 10:44:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You sir called it. A competition model 509

https://fnamerica.com/edgeseries/
View Quote

Wonder if FN is going to do a whole line of competition-focused Edge guns given that URL.

Introducing a 9mm race gun when folks are paying a buck a round for 9mm right now - ballsy move, Cotton.  If they made the slide available in FDE as an add-on, I might buy one.  Trigger looks like a nice upgrade though.  Frame appears to be a mid-size one with the aluminum mag well grafted onto it to give it the full size length and flush-fit compatibility with 17rd magazines.

Some photos from FN's website:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:32:28 PM EDT
[#3]
My personal opinion is that it is ugly a sin, but good thing I don’t base the purchase of firearms on looks. Trigger sounds good, works with 509 24rd mags, and probably lighter than my 509T.  I wonder if it retains holster compatibility with open bottom(Ragnarok) type holsters.

I’ll most likely grab one, but if they release a threaded barrel version, I’ll definitely grab one...

Hopefully, the trigger will be available for the other 509 models.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:58:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Introducing a 9mm race gun when folks are paying a buck a round for 9mm right now - ballsy move, Cotton.
View Quote

You know it's probably been "in the works" since before the great Covid ammo shortage....

Should fit open bottom holsters a the "nose" appears to be a smaller profile than the rest of the slide and the frame appears to have the same dimension. So compatibility should be the same as the 509/509T/509M and 509C aside from slide length.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 10:11:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Colion Noir has a video out on it. He’s singing it’s praises.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 10:20:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Wonder if FN is going to do a whole line of competition-focused Edge guns given that URL.

Introducing a 9mm race gun when folks are paying a buck a round for 9mm right now - ballsy move, Cotton.  If they made the slide available in FDE as an add-on, I might buy one.  Trigger looks like a nice upgrade though.  Frame appears to be a mid-size one with the aluminum mag well grafted onto it to give it the full size length and flush-fit compatibility with 17rd magazines.

Some photos from FN's website:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/35747/509lsedge1_PNG-1774739.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/35747/509lsedge2_PNG-1774740.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/35747/509lsedge3_PNG-1774741.JPG
View Quote

Unless they improved the actual function of the trigger you are going to want to replace it with an Apex anyway. Based on my experience, ymmv.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:49:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Looks a LOT like the Walther Q5 & the H&K VP9L, IMO. I wonder if FN cleans up the trigger any?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:27:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Handled two of these today and the triggers were horrible. Not really a noticeable difference between it and the 509 Tac sitting next to it.

I'm not sure what makes them $1300-$1500 guns.

The sights were nice and crisp. I enjoyed the blacked out rear with fiber front. But other than that?

I ended up getting an FNX-45 Tactical.

I was fully ready to drop the money on one of these too.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:35:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I like FN products. I even have 1 FN pistol and 2 FN rifles, but for some reason, this new offering is not making me want to reach for my wallet.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:26:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm going to go against what seems to be the general consensus...I like it and will probably eventually get one. I don't know, maybe it's the looks, maybe it's just because it's an FN. That said, it's not perfect. One blaring mistake is the dimples in the grip that normally help when/if you get a stuck magazine. The whole grip module looks like it's exactly what they use for the standard 509 but they covered up the dimples when they added the mag well flare making them useless. For a $1500 pistol FN should have at least given it it's own grip module instead of borrowing from the standard parts bin. Second. The trigger looks cool. I haven't yet found one to check out, but people that have  seem to be disappointed. It's a striker fired gun so I don't expect perfection, but again, for the price it should be better. And lastly is the price. $1500 is pretty steep for a plastic striker fired pistol. Even the Walther Q5 SF is about the same price and it's all steel.

Still, there's something about it that I like and I will probably get one. I just think for FN's ultimate competition gun they could have done better on the details.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:40:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Pertinent teasers photos:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/35747/FNAM0206_Header_Image_L5AG_jpg-1769969.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/35747/1f2391d5-da63-4ea2-afd7-4a8ea63f09eb_jpg-1769971.JPG

Guessing it's a competition version of the 509.  All the details around the ejection part are identical to my 509T: extractor, optics plate, the little front scallop, barrel hood profile.  Lightening cuts forward of the ejection part usually more of a race gun thing.  Long slide maybe?

Nothing leaked on FN Herstal's global site or any of the major distributors yet that I can find.  Reckon we'll find out Monday.

ETA - 509 LS Edge
View Quote
LOL
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 3:40:11 AM EDT
[#12]
I picked up a 509 LS on Tuesday and I’ve got just short of 1k rounds through it so far. If you’re a 509 fan you’re going to like the gun. If you’re not a 509 fan then the refinements on the LS are going to be lost on you and you’ll question the $1500 price tag.

For reference I have two 509T and one standard 509. My primary 509T has almost 35k rounds on it now, so I’ve got a fair bit of time on the platform. It is my primary duty pistol.

Both 509T have the Apex trigger kits installed, they break right around 5lb 4oz to 5lb 7oz. This 509 LS breaks at 5lb 8oz stock, with very few rounds on it. I am guessing it will settle in around 5lb after I get some more rounds on it and then break it apart for a good scrub down.

The new trigger shoe feels fantastic, as does the different texture on the sides of the frame. I wish the left side mag release wasn’t quite as flush as it currently is, I’ll probably swap it out for a standard 509 release once I order my next batch of parts.

The 5” slide tracks very similar to the standard 509s, and that FO front really pops if you’re not running a dot. Recoil is extremely manageable with the yellow spring. I screwed around with the heavier spring from my 509T guns for a quick minute, but it is unnecessary for the 5” gun and I went back to the yellow spring quickly.

The magwell is a thing of beauty. It was a great idea to put this on the midsize frame, as the gun feels no different than my other 509s in length. Mags with the standard flat baseplate will work just fine, along with the 24 round mags. I hope that FN releases the metal base pads from the 509 LS mags so I can retrofit them to a few of my regular 509 mags.

I think FN did a great job on this gun, and if you can get past the price of admission you’ll probably be very satisfied.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 11:46:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for your mini review, it was very informative. I'm a big FN pistol fan, but so far comments about the 509 LS Edge haven't been too positive, almost entirely because of it's price. It's good to hear from someone who has actual experience with the new firearm.  You have just moved me one step farther toward getting one.

By the way, that's an impressive collection you have there.
Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top