Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 8/19/2020 2:24:25 AM EDT
So I am in a quandary about if I should get it or not. They have it at msrp with $1,499 being the price out the door. I probably wouldn't fire it and would keep it for my son and daughter. What do you guys/gals think? What is a persons drive to buy one?
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 5:35:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Should you buy it?..Upto you/your money.

Would I buy it?..No.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 5:48:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Check it over WELL. They had some issues initially but if it all checks out, that is a pretty good price and I doubt you'll find one cheaper by a meaningful amount. You may find a bit cheaper on line but after adding in shipping and such, it'll probably wash or cost a bit more.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 6:19:25 AM EDT
[#3]
pass...
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 6:40:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a thread on this called the Colt Python Waiting Room.  I put my order in in early January and am still waiting.  Pythons are selling for over list price on the secondary market.  If you can afford it, buy it.  I doubt you'll lose money on it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 7:02:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Buy.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 7:15:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Buy I’m going to when I see one for MSRP.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 9:00:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Check it over well first. I picked one up last week, and it's already on its way back to Colt. The rear sight assembly was loose, there was a gap between the grip stock and the back strap, and it had excessive creep in the single action trigger pull. It's a beautiful gun, but the actual quality isn't reflected in the price.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 9:28:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Should you buy it?..Upto you/your money.

Would I buy it?..No.
View Quote

Sums it up pretty well.  I could find a lot more uses for that kind of money, but if it something that you just gotta own...
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 9:43:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I would and I did.  It is a very nice revolver.

When a plain ole Smith 686 is 800 at Buds, really that price is not bad for what you get.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 9:57:23 AM EDT
[#10]
If I had $1,500 burning a hole in my pocket that I could spend on a safe queen, I'd look for a pre-lock Model 29.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 11:24:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So I am in a quandary about if I should get it or not. They have it at msrp with $1,499 being the price out the door. I probably wouldn't fire it and would keep it for my son and daughter. What do you guys/gals think? What is a persons drive to buy one?
View Quote
I dunno, how old are the kids?

How do you know they'll even appreciate a 1500.00 revolver enough to come outta pocket that much?

Seems like you'd be better off buying 1500 of ATT or some other dividend paying stock and let it keep re-investing.
I wish my parents would have done that for me.

If you do buy it, buy a few K rounds to go with it...   Other wise, if you/they can't get or afford ammo, its an expensive hammer.

Link Posted: 8/19/2020 12:18:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

How do you know they'll even appreciate a 1500.00 revolver enough to come outta pocket that much?

Seems like you'd be better off buying 1500 of ATT or some other dividend paying stock and let it keep re-investing.

If you do buy it, buy a few K rounds to go with it...   Other wise, if you/they can't get or afford ammo, its an expensive hammer.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

smullen has good advice.

If the gun is to be a tool, Rugers are cheaper and arguably better.

If the gun is to be an investment, then consider it in the context of a whole portfolio.  A collectible such as a gun provides diversification into a tangible asset that is generally outside the prying eyes of the IRS.  Please don't put all of your money into guns, but don't put it all into AAPL, MSFT, GE, etc.  Spread it around.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 7:34:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Well after thinking it over, I decided to pass on it. It's a nice gun, but probably wouldnt fire it. My son is 6, and my daughter is almost five months old. I already have an AR for each of them when they are older (more than likely they will be outlawed by the time they are 18). Thanks everyone for their input!
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 2:55:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Well after thinking it over, I decided to pass on it. It's a nice gun, but probably wouldnt fire it. My son is 6, and my daughter is almost five months old. I already have an AR for each of them when they are older (more than likely they will be outlawed by the time they are 18). Thanks everyone for their input!
View Quote

Good for you. Save your money on something that you and your family will enjoy shooting. I collect guns to shoot not to have as safe queens or investment. I have a few firearms that will appreciate in the future and I hope my daughter will enjoy them way after I start pushing up daisies. Fortunately I didn't invest much into my collection. Enjoy and be safe.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 9:20:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Good for you. Save your money on something that you and your family will enjoy shooting. I collect guns to shoot not to have as safe queens or investment. I have a few firearms that will appreciate in the future and I hope my daughter will enjoy them way after I start pushing up daisies. Fortunately I didn't invest much into my collection. Enjoy and be safe.
View Quote

Who says he and his family cannot enjoy shooting a Colt Python ?  I say by the Python, shoot it alot and take care of it and If,  If your kids are into firearms someday they will thank you for not buying a Ruger.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 11:47:34 AM EDT
[#16]
4" or 6"?

Would I buy it as a safe queen for my kids? No.

Would I buy it as a safe queen to turn around and sell it later for a profit? Maybe?

Would I buy it as a gun I plan on shooting? If I was in the market for a revolver than hell yes! You are not going to find a better price on one BNIB and Pythons are sweet guns and the new ones (barring the issues with the initial release) are better overall then the old ones that go for $2k plus. Only thing holding me back is I really want a blued model which they don't make (yet?).
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 5:29:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

smullen has good advice.

If the gun is to be an investment, then consider it in the context of a whole portfolio.  A collectible such as a gun provides diversification into a tangible asset that is generally outside the prying eyes of the IRS.  Please don't put all of your money into guns, but don't put it all into AAPL, MSFT, GE, etc.  Spread it around.
View Quote

How is a Ruger DA better?
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 11:45:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Buy it...if it isn't already too late.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 10:06:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Buy I’m going to when I see one for MSRP.
View Quote

I wish I could just find one period!
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 10:13:06 AM EDT
[#20]
If you want to leave your kids something, spend that money on some Apple stock. If you need a shooter go for it at msrp
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 10:18:09 AM EDT
[#21]
I have the original snakes, no thanks
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 6:16:11 AM EDT
[#22]
LGS has a 4.25" model for $2k. I'd probably buy at $1500, but I want the 6"
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 1:41:32 PM EDT
[#23]
... just bought both 6" and 4" about an hour ago - $1,495 -5% each
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 1:58:23 PM EDT
[#24]
I can't believe they put the fricken QR code on a revolver meant to appeal to traditional shooters.

I just won't have it.

Link Posted: 9/19/2020 2:21:32 PM EDT
[#25]
I buy guns to shoot. Not to put away.

Just my .02
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 2:25:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The new ones are better shooters than the old ones. Much more robust lockwork.

Just my .02
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The new ones are better shooters than the old ones. Much more robust lockwork.

Just my .02

Quoted:
I can't believe they put the fricken QR code on a revolver meant to appeal to traditional shooters.

I just won't have it.

https://i.redd.it/52x0ehgka2b41.jpg

I'd rather have that than a Hillary hole.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 11:02:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I just won't have it.

View Quote

And put the VP mark inside the crane.

Why not put the QR code inside the crane instead??
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 10:17:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

And put the VP mark inside the crane.

Why not put the QR code inside the crane instead??
View Quote
That's what I was thinking.  I am pretty sure the location, as poorly placed as it is, has to do with production line scanning, packaging and box barcoding.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 11:11:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I just won't have it.

View Quote
Good. Maybe the rest of us can buy one then.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 12:56:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

smullen has good advice.

In the context of being a tool (for target practice or self defense), DA Rugers are incredibly strong.  And they should outlast anything else on the market.

Colts have always had a reputation for being relatively delicate while Rugers are reputed to be tanks.

Will the new Python turn out to be a tank?  It's possible, but unlikely.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 2:27:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

In the context of being a tool (for target practice or self defense), DA Rugers are incredibly strong.  And they should outlast anything else on the market.

Colts have always had a reputation for being relatively delicate while Rugers are reputed to be tanks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

smullen has good advice.

A Trooper MK III is every bit as strong as a Ruger. They were considered the strongest revolver for that size at the time they were made.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 4:03:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Get a S&W. I've owned my new Python for 6-weeks, and I'm about to send it back in to Colt for the second time. The first time, the rear sight was loose (they didn't fix it), there was a gap between the back strap and the grips (also not fixed), and it had a lot of creep in the single action pull (fixed but still heavy). Took it to the range just now, and I was getting a light primer strike at least once in every full cylinder in double action pull. The second strike sometimes detonated the primer, but the dimple was still shallow. It's going to go back, but, amazingly, Colt customer service isn't taking any calls today, and you can't leave a message for a call back. They suck unbelievably bad, and this thing is way over priced for Taurus level quality!
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 10:27:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Nope ... pass and I owned a older one.  Matte SS 6” killed a deer with it.   Hold off. Crazy times will pass. ..... own an original.  

H
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 9:31:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It's a beautiful gun, but the actual quality isn't reflected in the price.
View Quote

Isn't that when you know you've got a Colt?  
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 3:52:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I have the original snakes, no thanks
View Quote

Me too, but I still bought a new one.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top