Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2018 7:42:44 AM EDT
I just picked up my first M9, i own their shotguns but not their pistols.  I see the plastic guide rod which im completely ok with but i think the trigger is plastic.  Is this normal?  Are there any known issues with the trigger physically failing?  I have a lot of plastic guns, im not opposed, ive just never owned a metal gun with a plastic trigger........just seeing if my copy is normal.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 8:27:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 8:31:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Beretta sells kits to replace all the plastic with metal....

https://www.berettausa.com/en-us/beretta-factory-92fs-steel-parts-trigger-safety-levers-recoil-rod-mag-rel-/e00706/
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 8:57:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Normal.
When I bought my 92, I spent about 100 dollars on upgraded springs and a short reach trigger, which is metal.  Very easy to do and very much worth your money and time.  ITs still a heavy bitch, but a fine gun made better with a few minor tweaks.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 9:04:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Some of the parts on new production guns are plastic, like the guide rod, or plastic coated metal.

I tend to buy used, older production guns.

All metal parts kits are available and pretty 8nexpensive.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 9:09:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Some of the parts on new production guns are plastic, like the guide rod, or plastic coated metal.

I tend to buy used, older production guns.

All metal parts kits are available and pretty 8nexpensive.
View Quote
Not too bad direct from Beretta with the 20% off code.  About 60 bucks.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 10:16:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a lot of plastic guns, im not concerned about plastic just because its plastic.  Is anyone aware of failures because of the plastic parts?  I dont mind spending the 100 bucks to swap parts but i also am.not sure if i need to.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 10:22:06 PM EDT
[#7]
The trigger is plastic coated, but is not wholly plastic.

Hold a strong magnet up to it if you don't believe me.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 10:23:00 PM EDT
[#8]
The metal trigger is definitely worth it.  Feels much better.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 8:35:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The metal trigger is definitely worth it.  Feels much better.
View Quote
Agreed. I bought my first two 92 series pistols this year and was surprised to find the triggers were polymer coated. Installed the metal parts kit from Beretta and I swear it made the trigger pull better.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 3:33:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Not too bad direct from Beretta with the 20% off code.  About 60 bucks.
View Quote
You wouldn't happen to know what the 20% off code is?
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 3:51:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Sure do, IM sent.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 3:53:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a 92 and it has the plastic/metal trigger. I think it comes down to what you personally want on it, as I have never heard of a plastic trigger failing.  I have a few pistols with  plastic triggers and have never had a problem with any of them for thousands of rounds. Some people just like the metal trigger better. I would worry less about the trigger myself and get a "D" spring, as it will make your shooting more enjoyable.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 4:31:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have a 92 and it has the plastic/metal trigger. I think it comes down to what you personally want on it, as I have never heard of a plastic trigger failing.  I have a few pistols with  plastic triggers and have never had a problem with any of them for thousands of rounds. Some people just like the metal trigger better. I would worry less about the trigger myself and get a "D" spring, as it will make your shooting more enjoyable.
View Quote
Side by side the metal trigger definitely feels better and is a worthwhile upgrade at almost no cost.

I swear it takes a pound off the single action and two of the double action.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 8:42:25 PM EDT
[#14]
For what you want to accomplish, buy the D spring and metal trigger upgrade kit for $25.  Lots of videos on Youtube on how to do the install yourself.

https://www.berettausa.com/en-us/beretta-92-96-steel-trigger-spring-trigger-and-d-hammer-spring/e00691/
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 9:19:40 PM EDT
[#15]
And this
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 7:57:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Side by side the metal trigger definitely feels better and is a worthwhile upgrade at almost no cost.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I thought too, and that's in addition to the D spring. Could all be in my head, but I swear it did.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:09:27 AM EDT
[#17]
While I don't see anything wrong with the plastic coated trigger (it is still metal underneath), I tend to do the metal trigger/D spring upgrade on the Beretta's I'm going to use regularly.  Just feels better to me.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:12:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I dont mind spending the 100 bucks to swap parts but i also am.not sure if i need to.
View Quote
Well worth the price to swap out, IMO. A metal trigger allows one to drop in a reduced power trigger return spring, for example. Coupled with a lower poundage mainspring, it gives one an instant trigger job.

The guide rod is no big deal, IMO.

My .o2
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 9:44:27 PM EDT
[#19]
metal lanyard loops would dent and crack, metal 2pc guide rods would come loose, metal trigger and mag release is cold in the winter......i was in when things started going plastic. not a "fan" but they were as good or better for maint reasons.

my M9A1 is going all metal a piece at a time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top