Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2022 3:56:38 PM EDT
I bought a new Glock G45 and wanted to add steel night sights. Settled on Ameriglow GL-5113. Also purchased a set of nylon drift punches from Amazon. While installing new rear sight unknowing to me the nylon punch chipped while striking it with a medium brass hammer. The two marks seen on the right side of sights are not from the punch itself as originally thought, but indication marking of sights 6.1mm size. Installation was fairly simple. A sight pusher may have made installation simpler. Night sights are very bright and pleased with purchase.

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 4:11:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Use the right tool.  I have installed several sets that any punch would have destroyed.  Some are tight.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 4:38:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Sight pushers exist for a reason.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 6:10:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Use the right tool.  I have installed several sets that any punch would have destroyed.  Some are tight.
View Quote

From a nylon punch?
Quoted:
View Quote

Why did I know I'd hear this from get go.....
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 6:28:23 PM EDT
[#4]
That does not seem physically possible if the sights are steel and the punch is nylon. China nylon must be laced with Tungsten lol.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:35:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That does not seem physically possible if the sights are steel and the punch is nylon. China nylon must be laced with Tungsten lol.
View Quote

That’s my thinking too. Have any other metal you use the punch on?
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:41:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:03:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I bought a new Glock G45 and wanted to add steel night sights. Settled on Ameriglow GL-5113. Also purchased a set of nylon drift punches from Amazon. While installing new rear sight unknowing to me the nylon punch chipped while striking it with a medium brass hammer. Noticed two deep scratch marks from the punch's. Granted they are small and not noticeable unless you know what you're looking for. Sights will be fine, but wanted to give members a heads up if they are buying this product. I left a negative review on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RSR3LNH?tag=arfcom00-20

https://i.imgur.com/208wBTVh.jpg
View Quote

Searched the number in your post and found this pic and many others.

Unless I'm missing something, it seems those fingernail cuts are a feature of some Ameriglo sights.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:42:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Glock factory rear sights are similarly marked to indicate height:

One bar is 6.5mm (.256 in), the 'standard' height
A long bar with a short bar beneath it is 6.1mm (.240 in)
A long bar with a short bar above it is 6.9mm (.271 in)
A long bar with two short bars above it is 7.3mm (.287 in)

ETA: According to Ameriglo, the GL-5113 is a 6.1mm height rear sight.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 7:44:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That’s my thinking too. Have any other metal you use the punch on?
View Quote

No, brand new never used. Keep reading.

Quoted:
Searched the number in your post and found this pic and many others.

Unless I'm missing something, it seems those fingernail cuts are a feature of some Ameriglo sights.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/120201/Screenshot_20220516-200236_Brave_jpg-2386729.JPG
View Quote

Bingo! I looked up these night sights (GL-5113) and the pictures I saw have these cuts. My bag for claiming bad nylon drift. My senior citizen eyes are deceiving me. Nothing wrong with sights or nylon punch! Thanks for setting record straight for me. Admitting I was wrong posting this in first place then.

Quoted:

Glock factory rear sights are similarly marked to indicate height:

One bar is 6.5mm (.256 in), the 'standard' height
A long bar with a short bar beneath it is 6.1mm (.240 in)
A long bar with a short bar above it is 6.9mm (.271 in)
A long bar with two short bars above it is 7.3mm (.287 in)

ETA: According to Ameriglo, the GL-5113 is a 6.1mm height rear sight.
View Quote

Thank you! I never knew this or I wouldn't have posted from get go. I didn't see the marks when I took them out of package. After installing is when I saw marks. Assumed I did it with new nylon punches. Again, I was wrong for posting and thank you for the clarification!!
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 7:56:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Is it possible that they are fake? I bought ameriglows from Amazon and installed them with a nylon punch. Zero issues. But I saw reviews that some users were getting cheap fakes. Defect maybe?

Edit: see you figured it out
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 8:16:38 AM EDT
[#11]
I appreciate the clarification on nothing is wrong with these sights, period. The marks are factory stating they are a 6.1mm sight like original G45 rear sight which is also marked 6.1mm. I googled Ameriglow GL-5113 sights and they show these marks. Learn something new every day....

The nylon punch did do it's job, but yes it did chip or mar itself while hitting with a hammer (maybe that's why 5 in a package). Soft? Possibly.... And I contacted Amazon to have them remove the negative feedback I left.

Again, thanks forum members for setting the record straight. I hate nothing more than misinformation......
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 8:18:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Glad you got it all sorted and did right on feedback. Cool of you.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 8:41:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

From a nylon punch?

View Quote

I broke the glass vials in two sets with a wooden punch.  Physics and shit. I was lucky they warrantied them, but I also paid Trijicon to install them the second time.  If the vial is cracked, they go dark overnight.

I bought the tool when I lost access to an armorer.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 9:53:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

From a nylon punch?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From a nylon punch?
Quoted:

You know you goofed, that's why. We have all done it trying to save a few bucks.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 10:37:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You know you goofed, that's why. We have all done it trying to save a few bucks.
View Quote

But he didn't goof...he mistakenly thought he did.

I have a sight tool, and generally it's much easier to install sights using it....but brass and nylon punches are a perfectly acceptable means of installing/drifting sights.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 10:41:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I have a sight tool, and generally it's much easier to install sights using it....but brass and nylon punches are a perfectly acceptable means of installing/drifting sights.
View Quote
Same here. I am a smith and have a really nice pusher but use nylon, brass and aluminum drifts 75% of the time. Some guns it is impossible however. I think I had a Kimber once that broke my pusher removing the rear.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 9:37:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have went to a pusher after too many attempts with punches marred something up.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 9:45:04 AM EDT
[#18]
@wagsfn
If you edit your original post you will save members further confusion.
Good luck
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 10:20:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
@wagsfn
If you edit your original post you will save members further confusion.
Good luck
View Quote

Done.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top