Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/6/2020 12:30:55 PM EDT
My suppressor is scheduled to arrive at my dealer soon. I do have a couple threaded rifles and installed a thread adapter on my S&W 422, but would also like to pick up a dedicated host.

Right now my choices are

Ruger Mark IV

S&W victory

Browning buck mark

I don’t care much for what I call “combat trainers” that simulate service guns with plastic frames and striker type triggers.

So far in my research it appears ( somewhat to my surprise) the Rugers are the most expensive while the S&W is least with browning in between but closer to the Ruger.
Unfortunately I see the Ruger having issues based on some info posted about the web with many people immediately getting VQ parts or replacing extractors and tweaking mags to get them to run.
Sounds like the Smith and Browning are less finicky.out of the box with no drama.

I am a oil it and run it sort of guy, and don’t care to tinker at all.i want the gun to function out of the box.

I do live a short drive from the Ruger factory so if I do get a Ruger at least if it acted up I could get it serviced easily.

So far I am leaning to S&W due to cost and somewhat better reviews on the net.

Let me know what you have and what has worked for you ( pictures would be appreciated as well,)
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 12:48:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I don’t think you can go wrong with any of them. Suppressors add more back pressure so I find it odd people need to tweak extractors when adding volqartsen parts to a Ruger series pistol. Perhaps it is an issue. I haven’t shot one suppressed much. The extractor issue sounds bogus to me so much to the point I have seen pistols with NO extractor and a suppressor attached STILL eject empty casings from the pressure of the shot being fired alone.

Know that the disassembly process on the buck mark is the weak point in the design - in terms of strength of the design. I would recommend the S&W or the Ruger simply because they’re stronger designs and suppressors can make the bolt have more thrust, and it would be nice to have a stronger gun. The buck mark is nice though and don’t totally discount it if you’re set on it. Many people seem happy with them because they haven’t shot a Ruger

Good luck
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 1:10:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I have two Rugers for my YHM Mite and they work great.  The Ruger Lite is my favorite set up.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 1:28:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Out of a dozen or so .22 hosts.
The 422 is my favorite.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 3:46:45 PM EDT
[#4]
The Ruger MKIV is hard to beat. It doesn't need anything out of the box for reliability sake but the Volquartsen accurizing kits make them really sweet shooters.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 4:17:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a SW Victory and Ruger MKIV.  The Victory came with an excellent trigger unlike the Ruger.  Installed an accurizing kit on the Ruger which made a huge difference but I still like the Victory trigger better.  Fit/finish seems better on the SW too.  I have to keep the Ruger oiled otherwise mild surface rust pops up.  

Link Posted: 11/6/2020 10:58:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Mk IV.

They're reliable out of the box, they're just convenient and affordable to upgrade, like a 10/22.

Link Posted: 11/6/2020 11:15:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got a Ruger SR22 that I really like. Haven't put a ton of rounds through it so I don't know about long term durability but so far so good.
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 10:14:18 AM EDT
[#8]
My two favorite pistol hosts for my SiCo Sparrow are a Ruger Mk.II with a Pac-Lite suppressor-ready upper AND a Ruger SR22 that came suppressor ready with a threaded barrel.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 1:33:51 PM EDT
[#9]
If you can find one, Keltec P17.  Apparently there maybe a little more blowback of crap to your face due to the design of the slide.  Havent shot one myself, but mine will arrive this week and they are getting great reviews.  I shot my mp22c over the weekend and was very disappointed, problems left and right.  That being said, I only used one brand of ammo.  I do love the look and ergos of the m&p, so hopefully the bugs will work themselves out.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 8:08:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you can find one, Keltec P17.  Apparently there maybe a little more blowback of crap to your face due to the design of the slide.  Havent shot one myself, but mine will arrive this week and they are getting great reviews.  I shot my mp22c over the weekend and was very disappointed, problems left and right.  That being said, I only used one brand of ammo.  I do love the look and ergos of the m&p, so hopefully the bugs will work themselves out.
View Quote

Just picked up M&P22c today....  Oh great....

Is it just a suppressor issue (with can) or the gun itself?
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 9:21:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I wouldn't be at all concerned with your purchase.

Out of all the "trainer" 22's I have (which is basically all of them except the Glock 44), it is hands down the most reliable, eats anything.  I thought something was wrong with the barrel when accuracy disappeared suddenly, and sent it back to Smith.  2 week turn around no questions asked, they said nothing was wrong with it.  However, the accuracy was back.  I think I let my barrel lead up too much, and clean it regularly now, no issues.  Either way, the customer service was fantastic.  I have 4 M&P's now...

OP, out of your list, I would go with the MK4.  You can just about add any upgrade you'd like to personalize it, and out of the box its a fantastic suppressor host.  Still one of the most accurate plinkers I have after thousands of rounds.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 12:59:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Out of that list, MK IV is a no brainer to me.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Love my MKIV with dead air mask. So much fun to shoot.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 1:19:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a 21a in 22 that is so fun to shoot suppressed.

I might know someone selling one if you want to know more. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 2:30:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

My m&p 22c with my dead air mask has been flawless for years now.

I'm looking at a Mark IV (If I can find one for a decent price) since I want something I can mount a red dot on.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 3:05:53 PM EDT
[#16]
The Buckmark is the truth and the way.

Attachment Attached File

Awesome trigger and dead nuts accurate. Sounds like a staple gun.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 11:16:02 PM EDT
[#17]
All great suggestions thank you
Seems the beretta would be impossible to use sights or hav an alternative sight set installed.
Sounds like a toss up between Ruger smith and browning. Right now as we all know is a bad time to be gun shopping ( though 22’s don’t seem to be as badly affected as defensive caliber guns) so it may be a case of what shows up first.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 11:32:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gun issue, but I’m hoping it’s just ammo related. But I also purchased and installed new mag followers to hold 12rds instead of 10, so that may be part of it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 4:13:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Ended up with a victory. Got off gunbroker for a great price I think especially in these times ( all in with shipping and transfer $75 under MSRP)
About 40 bucks less than the best local price ( which was out of stock anyway)
And about $150 less than a Ruger, which is surprising.
Took to the range today,ran 100% even with standard velocity which I was not expecting until it broke in some.
While I wasn’t shooting for accuracy exactly, it would easily hold inside the standard NRA bullseye target black at 50 feet and the sights were dead on for point of impact.
Can’t really ask for much more in a gun under $350. ( although I still much prefer blued finish and wish they had a blue version)
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 10:18:21 AM EDT
[#20]
In truth, any one of those are good suppressor hosts and it comes down to specific examples and personal preference. The Victory and Buckmark have a slight advantage in the barrel change dept but overall the Ruger has a lot more aftermarket support. I don't care for the grip on the Victory and Buckmarks are hard to find around here. I like the aftermarket support for the Ruger so I settled on the 22/45 MKIV myself.

Holy crap dude, what it that a 1.5" barrel?! lol I've been wanting to pick up a new upper and have it cut down but wasn't thinking that short. I have read that going too short on these can introduce issues. Have you had any? How's the accuracy? Who did the work? Thanks
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 10:27:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Another vote for the Ruger MkIV 22/45

Mine has been flawless out of the box, and the best news is they are a ton easier to take down and re-assemble these days!

Link Posted: 12/29/2020 10:50:19 AM EDT
[#22]
All great choices.  

Agree with above on the choice and why people “upgrade” the Mk4.  It’s easy and cheap and I like to tinker with them.  My Glock 19 is stock.  

Any rate.  Also factor into your choice o how easy it is to break down and clean because with 22 and suppressed, you’ll be doing that all the time.  

To me mk4 gets all those boxes checked.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 1:19:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Also look at the Kel Tec CP33

It’s fantastic.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 7:38:31 PM EDT
[#24]
I found happiness with this:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 1:29:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Holy crap dude, what it that a 1.5" barrel?! lol I've been wanting to pick up a new upper and have it cut down but wasn't thinking that short. I have read that going too short on these can introduce issues. Have you had any? How's the accuracy? Who did the work? Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:

2" done by d.wilson mfg. Shoots great with CCI SV but gets dirty faster than my regular MKIV Lite upper. I shot it when it was like 20 degrees and it hated the Aguilla and Federal bulk pack but it was cold and really dirty. I've only take it as far as 10 yards and accuracy has been fine, better than with my Beretta 21a.

Check out the Ruger Stubby thread and join us.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 1:33:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Two Trigger Options for Our MK-O

I just shipped mine off to MK3 firearms to have the same thing done.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 2:23:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
2" done by d.wilson mfg. Shoots great with CCI SV but gets dirty faster than my regular MKIV Lite upper. I shot it when it was like 20 degrees and it hated the Aguilla and Federal bulk pack but it was cold and really dirty. I've only take it as far as 10 yards and accuracy has been fine, better than with my Beretta 21a.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Cool - Thanks for the info. I hopefully will be joining soon!

Quoted:
I just shipped mine off to MK3 firearms to have the same thing done.

Thanks for the link

Anybody know what can this is?

I like that its fatter then your typical 22 suppressor so it can be shorter without giving up volume
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 10:32:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Cool - Thanks for the info. I hopefully will be joining soon!

Thanks for the link

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/69f7f8_6c59924cd12c44f79050b549cc886b2f~mv2_d_1548_1935_s_2.jpg/v1/fill/w_412,h_520,al_c,q_80,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01/IMG_2786_JPG.webp
I like that its fatter then your typical 22 suppressor so it can be shorter without giving up volume
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:34:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The Ruger MKIV is hard to beat. It doesn't need anything out of the box for reliability sake but the Volquartsen accurizing kits make them really sweet shooters.
View Quote

This.

Mark IV with vol trigger. Super nice and zero issues suppressed.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 5:03:49 PM EDT
[#30]
The victory continues to impress with accuracy and reliability
I even purposely tried to ge it to choke with junk ammo but it still ran
( junk ammo- we run a steel challenge match a few times a month at my club and I pick up the rounds that others drop during malfunctions mostly low quality Winchester Remington and federal- during the course of a match I usually end up with about 50 grubby rounds to fill a box- and it ran them all.)
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:38:57 PM EDT
[#31]
If you like you can message me a picture and I will get it up for you
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 3:09:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The Buckmark is the truth and the way.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/289413/D87CA54C-F86F-49FC-A3A8-18A55D8F20E4_jpe-1681023.JPG

Awesome trigger and dead nuts accurate. Sounds like a staple gun.
View Quote

This.

I have the threaded Camper model & it sits right next to me with the can on it. Don't want to wake the neighbors & all that.  

OP, there's a gently used threaded Camper in the EE in case you'd like to look at it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 4:03:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/69f7f8_6c59924cd12c44f79050b549cc886b2f~mv2_d_1548_1935_s_2.jpg/v1/fill/w_412,h_520,al_c,q_80,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01/IMG_2786_JPG.webp
View Quote

Ugh, just when I told myself I've collected enough stamps....
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 9:40:45 PM EDT
[#34]
I shoot Buck Marks suppressed, mostly because I have Ruger Derangement Syndrome. Quiet but they can get foul fast like all suppressed guns (enough suppressed shooting can choke a USP after all).
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 10:50:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup, great guns, and the VQ kit makes the trigger magical
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:50:20 PM EDT
[#36]
A Browning Buckmark with a Tacsol barrel and a Griffin Checkmate can is some of the most fun you have with your pants on.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:57:09 PM EDT
[#37]

It's a fun little can. I have both the Apex and Apex Micro (pictured). One day I'm going to have to shoot them next to my Oculus, Mask, Warlock II, Nyx Mod 1 and 2 to see if they're noticeably louder.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top