Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2020 2:47:55 AM EDT
Brand spanking new to 1911s, I is. I bought a new SA TRP 10mm, and while manually cycling rounds with the factory mag, some of the rounds get jammed into the barrel. Specifically, Ammo Inc 180gr FMJ, Buffalo Bore 220gr HC, and Federal 180gr FMJ. Hornady 180gr XTP and PPU 170gr FMJ don't get stuck, and will pop out normally when the slide is pulled back. The others get stuck, similarly to when an AR needs to be mortared. I've been able to get all the rounds out of the barrel that do get stuck with some muscle, but it takes quite a bit of effort. Is this normal for 1911s, or do I need to send it back to SA? My G20 cycles and ejects all rounds manually just fine.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 2:52:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Clean the chamber, then try cycling rounds again.

It sounds like your chamber is too tight.

Disassemble the slide and try slipping rounds into the chamber, then invert barrel and see if they fall out on their own.

Link Posted: 12/11/2020 2:53:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you yanking the slide rearward and releasing it at the end, to slam forward on its own power?

Or are you slowly letting the slide close, holding onto it the entire time?

Link Posted: 12/11/2020 4:54:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Try actually shooting it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 6:28:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you yanking the slide rearward and releasing it at the end, to slam forward on its own power?

View Quote

This.

It’s designed to chamber a round with the slide traveling at full speed by way of the recoil spring.

“Riding the slide” or holding on to it while it returns forward is a well known reason to cause a malfunction.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:14:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Lock the slide back, insert loaded mag, hit the slide release and if it picks up a round and slams shut.. Then go shoot it and report back.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 1:21:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:. . . while manually cycling rounds with the factory mag, some of the rounds get jammed into the barrel.
View Quote
The first step with any new firearm is to do a complete disassembly, inspection, cleaning, and lubricating.  Before you go out and turn money into noise I suggest you do these things.  Don't be stingy with the lube on a brand new pistol.

You've already identified a possible problem.  To further diagnose this issue to see if it's a real problem perform the "plunk" test.  It's called the plunk test because of the distinctive sound made when a cartridge is dropped into the chamber and the case makes contact with the ledge at the front of the chamber.

Follow these steps:
  1. Remove the barrel from the pistol
  2. Hold the barrel vertical with the muzzle down
  3. Drop a live round into the chamber
  4. While pushing the base of the cartridge fully toward the rifling simultaneously rotate it.

It should rotate easily and smoothly with the case mouth in solid contact with the chamber ledge.  If it does not, the chamber may need to be finish reamed to open it up to SAMMI spec or the barrel leade needs to be lengthened.

Repeat this test with whatever other brands of ammo you intend to put through it.

If all cartridge brands pass the test, the barrel is not the source of the issue.  If it fails this test, send it back to the manufacturer to be fixed.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 3:24:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The first step with any new firearm is to do a complete disassembly, inspection, cleaning, and lubricating.  Before you go out and turn money into noise I suggest you do these things.  Don't be stingy with the lube on a brand new pistol.

You've already identified a possible problem.  To further diagnose this issue to see if it's a real problem perform the "plunk" test.  It's called the plunk test because of the distinctive sound made when a cartridge is dropped into the chamber and the case makes contact with the ledge at the front of the chamber.

Follow these steps:
  1. Remove the barrel from the pistol
  2. Hold the barrel vertical with the muzzle down
  3. Drop a live round into the chamber
  4. While pushing the base of the cartridge fully toward the rifling simultaneously rotate it.

It should rotate easily and smoothly with the case mouth in solid contact with the chamber ledge.  If it does not, the chamber may need to be finish reamed to open it up to SAMMI spec or the barrel leade needs to be lengthened.

Repeat this test with whatever other brands of ammo you intend to put through it.

If all cartridge brands pass the test, the barrel is not the source of the issue.  If it fails this test, send it back to the manufacturer to be fixed.
View Quote

I pulled the barrel, and tried dropping the loaded rounds in. The PPU, with a conical shaped bullet, chambered and dropped out fine. Same with the Hornady xtp. I tried a 180gr Fed Premium JSP, and it dropped free just as well. None of the others I tried last night will chamber fully today, and they stick out as well. Especially the 220gr Buffalo Bore.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 3:25:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was letting it slam forward on its own.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 3:27:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Go shoot it and report back
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 5:10:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:I pulled the barrel, and tried dropping the loaded rounds in.
View Quote
Simply dropping the rounds in is insufficient.  You must then push on the back of the cartridge while also rotating it.  It must rotate easily.  If it does, it will drop out of the chamber under its own weight anyway.  You're trying to see if you can get the bullet to stick in the rifling.  If it does, it will not drop out the chamber under its own weight.

Firing ammunition that has been forced into the rifling will sharply raise pressures and is not safe.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 9:31:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Simply dropping the rounds in is insufficient.  You must then push on the back of the cartridge while also rotating it.  It must rotate easily.  If it does, it will drop out of the chamber under its own weight anyway.  You're trying to see if you can get the bullet to stick in the rifling.  If it does, it will not drop out the chamber under its own weight.

Firing ammunition that has been forced into the rifling will sharply raise pressures and is not safe.
View Quote

I cleaned the barrel with Hoppe's Elite cleaner and wire brushes. I then did the plunk test, and only the conical PPU and Fed Premium rounds, out of the six factory loads, can rotate when dropped in. I guess a call to Springfield is in order.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 10:04:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I cleaned the barrel with Hoppe's Elite cleaner and wire brushes. I then did the plunk test, and only the conical PPU and Fed Premium rounds, out of the six factory loads, can rotate when dropped in. I guess a call to Springfield is in order.
View Quote

Shoot the gun and see if the rounds cycle under normal operation.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 10:43:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’m going to with PPU rounds. I’m wondering if they’ll polish or break in the barrel enough to were the other rounds will chamber.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 8:24:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I shot 120 rounds today, and it ran poorly with the PPU and Hornady rounds. The PPU would fail to feed properly often, and the Hornady wouldn’t chamber fully 20% of the time. The federal 180 fmj, ran well except for one failure to chamber fully, similar to the Hornady. One of the factory mags also wouldn’t lock back when it was empty repeatedly.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 1:40:30 AM EDT
[#15]
That's a real shame.  I would expect so much better out a TRP.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 1:56:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That's a real shame.  I would expect so much better out a TRP.
View Quote

I think I did fix the mag that wouldn't lock back. It looks to be an Ed Brown, and I noticed that that the spring wasn't attached to the follower properly compared to the fac mag that locks back, and the extra Ed Brown mag I bought. I aligned the spring to the follower, and it now locks back when cycled manually. It hadn't prior to shooting, nor doing.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 11:34:23 AM EDT
[#17]
I suggest you call Springfield tomorrow, describe the problem to them, and ask them to finish ream the chamber and extend the leade under warranty.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:59:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Especially the 220gr Buffalo Bore.
View Quote

That's a big bullet for a 10mm. It will be a bigger OAL than the 165 or 180gr normal 10mm loads. The gun's chamber may not be cut just right for those 220gr bullets?

Should be a somewhat easy fix, just have a professional ream the chamber a bit to accommodate the longer rds.

My .o2
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 6:22:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Got my TRP back the other day, and finally was able to shoot it after doing the plunk test, which seemed to be GTG. I shot 50 rounds of Ammo Inc and a handful of American Eagle. All shot good, and flawless function. I then shot two Buffalo Bore 220gr rounds, and noticed they both had pierced primers in them. I then shot a handful of the American Eagle rounds, and noticed my primers now have a stepped ledge to them, where prior, they were a perfect dimple. Thoughts?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top