Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2018 12:23:30 PM EDT
Never had a stainless firearm.  How strong is stainless.  I have a few standard carbon steel blued Walthers.   What are the thoughts ?
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 1:39:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 1:47:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess it all depends on how you define strong or what you're comparing it to?

It's certainly strong enough to more than contain a .380 or .32 round (by which I mean I've never heard of a PPK kaboom like a Glock kaboom)
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 8:37:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Firearms grade stainless is PLENTY strong enough.
Much depends on how it's heat treated, and gun makers usually heat treat various components according to the use the parts is for and the cartridge it's made to use.

If S&W can make a stainless steel .500 caliber revolver a .380 is no problem.

A stainless Walther PP series pistol will last a lifetime.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 3:30:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Never had a stainless firearm.  How strong is stainless.  I have a few standard carbon steel blued Walthers.   What are the thoughts ?
View Quote
As others have said, it's subjective, but generally it's less "strong" than carbon steel (but, again, depends on grade of steel, hardening, etc.).  Unless you plan on running 100,000 rounds through it, which would be masochistic with a PPK, I doubt you, your kids, and your grandkids will likely ever see the difference.  It's definitely stronger than any aluminum alloy used for lightweight guns - before someone mentions it, I know there are aluminum alloys that come close to the strength of some steel, but they're ungodly expensive and used in specialized applications, e.g., not the frame of a mass-produced firearm.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 6:50:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top