Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2021 12:33:42 PM EDT
I've had a bunch of very nice 1911's over the years, but flipped them because they were worth too much and I always got "shiny kit syndrome" and wanted something else. I still have a couple K of 45ACP laying around, and no gun to shoot it out of. Thinking a solid 1911 would fit the bill because this is still America, and I have some ammo to use up. An inexpensive blaster would be best so I don't feel bad about keeping it around when the next shiny thing pops up.... and no, I'm not selling the ammo.

Looks like the top contenders these days are:

1. Tisas SDS
2. Armscor RIA
3. Springfield Mil-Spec

Based on my criteria, which would you recommend? Would like to stay under $600 street price.

Link Posted: 2/13/2021 12:39:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Springer MilSpec. It's my second one. No issues other than the worn aftermarket hammer I bought went through ammo real fast.

I traded a Spikes CHF Mid AR for it

Parked MilSpec

4 holsters

6 Wilson Mags

200 rounds of Tula Steel
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 12:44:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Rock Island.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 1:04:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Had a Springfield, sold it for a Colt.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 1:33:21 PM EDT
[#4]
The Milspec and defender's are a great deal.

They're made better than the 2 GI's and Loaded that I've had for the last 12-14yrs.

Link Posted: 2/13/2021 4:11:42 PM EDT
[#5]
<------- Look at my avatar.
The only one of your three choices that I have any personal experience with is the SA Mil-Spec.  I bought mine in '06 IIRC and it's been a joy ever since.  The trigger isn't as nice as my Kimber Compact CDP but the Kimber was twice the price of the SA.
I replaced the trigger, the hammer, and the mainspring housing on mine just to have something different than stock, not for improved performance.  
I think I've had maybe a half dozen failure to feeds in the probably 3K (SWAG there) rounds I've put through it.  All were because it was dirty and dry.
I'd buy one again.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 4:51:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Try to find a Remington before they are gone.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 5:48:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't consider springfield "budget". I don't know if you're looking for GI style, or fully loaded. You can buy a fully loaded, full rail RIA for the price of a mil-spec springer.
Sds seems to be developing a solid reputation.
I personally have used RIA, ATI and Metro arms/american classic. All are good to go.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 8:21:27 PM EDT
[#8]
https://wikiarms.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f16d45380b5b335e8586d1e37&id=06e9cd1673&e=7642569846

Coupon code GUNSNGEAR

$388.49

Link Posted: 2/13/2021 9:12:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm surprised there are sub-$600 1911s in this crazy market.

Out of your options I would pick the Springfield but personally would consider just saving a little more and getting a Colt.

NOTE: I'm not a Colt fan boy and don't own any Colt products but think in the "budget" 1911 market they have good resell value.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 11:49:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm surprised there are sub-$600 1911s in this crazy market.

Out of your options I would pick the Springfield but personally would consider just saving a little more and getting a Colt.

NOTE: I'm not a Colt fan boy and don't own any Colt products but think in the "budget" 1911 market they have good resell value.
View Quote

I've had a few Colts over the years. One was a Series 70 re-issue that didn't have a straight line on it. The flats on the left side were 1/8" taller than the right side. Colt had to replace the slide it was so bad, and it took 7 months to get it back. Had a Wiley Clapp Commander that had such sharp edges, that it drew blood on several occasions just handling it. Maybe CZ can give Colt a new lease on life.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 5:02:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I was going to buy a RIA but ran across a colt 1991 for a couple hundred more then a "budget" it's pretty nice and runs great but now I have the urge to upgrade it. I probably won't and would be better off buying something already done up and will just consider the colt my budget gi 1911.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 11:32:25 AM EDT
[#12]
I wanted a 1911 with the more classic look for carrying when we're just strolling in the National Forest here.  I didn't want to carry anything fancy like my Sig Nightmare 1911.

I picked up the Springfield Defender series and put one of Thunder Mtn's 5-piece trigger sets in.  The gun was/is 100% with anything I feed it, and now the trigger is amazing.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 1:33:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Buy the Springfield
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 6:20:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I love my Springfield but I wouldn't want the mil-spec model. I'd opt instead for a gently used TRP or Loaded model instead.

If that's not an option, *I* would go instead for a RIA in a Commander size. I have one in 10mm, damn good gun with nice OEM features.

My .o2
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 9:40:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I've been doing some reading and it seems like the Tisas is a really good option on the budget side.

Forged frame, forged slide, I believe forged barrel. Could make a great base gun like the old Norinco's used to be.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 9:53:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've been doing some reading and it seems like the Tisas is a really good option on the budget side.

Forged frame, forged slide, I believe forged barrel. Could make a great base gun like the old Norinco's used to be.
View Quote

Tisas has cast frame and bar stock slide. Only barrel is cold hammer forged stainless steel.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 10:03:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Tisas has cast frame and bar stock slide. Only barrel is cold hammer forged stainless steel.
View Quote

Their website says:

- Rotary Hammer forged barrel

- Hammer forged frame and slide

https://www.sdsimports.com/category-s/430118614.htm
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 10:27:56 PM EDT
[#18]
I'd stick my neck out and say the Ruger offerings are pretty dam impressive for the coin.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 11:20:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'd stick my neck out and say the Ruger offerings are pretty dam impressive for the coin.
View Quote

I had one years ago. Fine 1911, but no way to find one for under $600 these days.

Leaning towards the Springfield.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 3:00:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I got a GI RIA for under $400 recently and a Springfield Champion LW for $600 lightly used. They both have been great. Springfield is obviously better but nothing wrong with the RIA.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 4:27:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I can't seem to wrap my head around "budget" and "firearms". I certainly have a strong prejudice against anything built in a third world country. Part of my attraction to any firearm is a rather vague standard that revolves around my "pride in ownership". I have two coworkers that own Hi-Points and and something inside of me is repulsed.

That being said, in a moment of weakness I purchased a Taurus 1911 fifteen years ago. I ended up having to replace the safety, it broke on the second range trip. I have treated that pistol like a bastard step child and it still functions every time out. I understand the need to conserve resources, but I don't think it should apply when purchasing items intended for self-defense.

Link Posted: 2/17/2021 5:11:59 PM EDT
[#22]
It's a no brainer. Springfield Defender/Mispec all the way. Forged slide/frame/barrel and life time warranty for original purchaser. But many reported that Springfield has history of honoring warranty even if purchase used.
A little more than other budget makers, but well worth every penny.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 5:15:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Sprinfield Loaded series.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 4:10:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Springfield Ronin Operator
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 10:07:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Ended up with the SDS 1911A1 US Army for $450 OTD. Got to take it apart in the shop, and was impressed with the workmanship. The finish is a gray Cerakote instead of being parkerized, which should be a lot more rust resistant. Feed ramp is polished. Not a sharp edge on it anywhere. I would have loved a Springfield, but would have been over $600 by the time I got it home. This way I have money for some extra mags, a holster, and some decent grips. (The grips that come on it are shiny plastic, like Legos) I just needed a blaster that I wouldn't be afraid of throwing in an ammo can with a couple hundred rounds and heading to the range.

Thanks for all the input!
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 2:04:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Tisas has a Hammer Forged frame, slide, and barrel! The only question is the finish...is “military finish”, parkerized?

Anyone know for sure?
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 2:07:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I had one years ago. Fine 1911, but no way to find one for under $600 these days.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah. Good luck finding an SR1911 in the present market.  I’m glad I picked up mine when I did.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 7:45:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I've had a bunch of very nice 1911's over the years, but flipped them because they were worth too much and I always got "shiny kit syndrome" and wanted something else. I still have a couple K of 45ACP laying around, and no gun to shoot it out of. Thinking a solid 1911 would fit the bill because this is still America, and I have some ammo to use up. An inexpensive blaster would be best so I don't feel bad about keeping it around when the next shiny thing pops up.... and no, I'm not selling the ammo.

Looks like the top contenders these days are:

1. Tisas SDS
2. Armscor RIA
3. Springfield Mil-Spec

Based on my criteria, which would you recommend? Would like to stay under $600 street price.

View Quote

Honestly, I don't think that you'll even find a Springfield for less than 600 unless it's a beater.

I recently purchased a used [lnib] Range officer champion elite in 9mm, and it was $780.00 before the shipping.
New will surely be over that cost.
Of the 1911's I've owned, I've had:
2 Colts.
2 Springfields in 45acp.
And now 2 of the Range Officer series, both 9mm, both their Champion, or Commander sized firearms.

The RO's are built tight, run well with the right mags. [my personal choice are Checkmate and the Ed Brown branded mags, as well as Wilson/Vickers Extreme duty.]
The first one I bought in 2017 was the original parkerized version, and added an ambi safety to it as I'm left handed.  The second, this past January,was the Elite.
The parked gun had feed issues, which turned out to be 100% the fault of the factory Springer mags.
I trust them so much that the Elite is my EDC.

Good luck, and let us know how The new gun runs...
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 5:21:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Rock Island
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 10:17:04 PM EDT
[#30]
I've got a Zig/Tisas that I have been carrying for a while, Made a few changes, Wilson Spring Kit, Wilson Safety, Wilson Extractor and a Flat Mainspring Housing.

Shoots well and feeds everything I shove down the Pipe.

About 200rds Down Range without a Hiccup

Link Posted: 4/13/2021 4:06:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Tisas has a Hammer Forged frame, slide, and barrel! The only question is the finish...is “military finish”, parkerized?

Anyone know for sure?
View Quote

Yup, read the post right above yours. Cerakote on everything. Pretty decent job of it too.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 5:51:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Update???

You shoot it yet???

Link Posted: 4/16/2021 6:05:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Update???

You shoot it yet???

View Quote

Yup. About 50rds of ball and a couple dozen random JHP loads. Ran like a sewing machine.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 6:08:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Springfield Mil-Spec with a few upgrades. Shoots like a dream, better trigger than my Colts
Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top