Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/10/2018 8:50:25 PM EDT
Not a lot of discussion here, or at least I did not find it on a search, but really looking at the 227 and would like some feedback on what y'all think.

Handled one the other day at a local shop, felt just like my 226, I am not crazy about the E2 grips, not sure is panel grips are available.

Thanks,

Link Posted: 12/10/2018 10:45:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I have two. One is a carry and the other is a carry SAS model. The SAS is a safe queen for now and I have never shot it. Here is my experience with my other carry. The first time I shot it, I hated it. The trigger hurt my finger after the first box and I had issues with it grouping. It was all over the target at 7 and 15 yards. At 50 yards, could not hit the target. Was very disappointed. I like to shoot a mag at a 50 yard target just for the fun of it. It is something I started doing this past year to entertain myself and was surprised by how well a couple of my hand guns did.

I hate the E2 grips so I changed them to some Hogue G10, which I really like. The trigger on mine was a skinny, short reach trigger. I had the trigger changed to a standard one. Second time to the range, big improvement. It shot almost as good as my other SIGs. I really like it now. This gun was bought to be a suppressor host.

I never liked how the P220 felt in my hand. I never bought a .45 SIG because I could not get past how much I disliked the 220 grip. I know a lot of people like the 220, but it just does not feel right in my hand. The 227 solved this. The 227 feels just like a 226 to me.

Couple of other things of note. The model really never took off. SIG cut the 227 models for 2018. I think they only make one model now and I bet the production will be ended in 2019. There are still a lot of new guns floating around out there. I think I got my for $600 NIB off of gunbroker back in the summer. Hogue G10 grips are the only other grips on the market for the 227 as far as I am aware. They are not cheap. The 227 does not use the same grips as the 226. There are no grip screw holes in the 227's frame. They use a bushing type screw thing to put the Hogue grips on. Not a big deal in my opinion, just don't think you can put 226 grips on a 227.

The extended mags also seem to have issues. I have zero issues with the standard 10 round mags. My extended had some issues with feeding. All four of them. It seems the mag spring is not strong enough for the weight and number of .45 rounds in the mag. Seems this was a common issue with the extended mags.

I really like mine now had I have no regrets on buying it.

EDIT-- I just saw the other 227 thread. Appears SIG is discontinuing the entire 227 line. If you want one, might be a good time to pick one up. I have also seen rumors that a couple of LE departments that used 227s are switching guns in the coming year. No proof to back this up other than a couple depts. I had read were using the 227 have been listed on internet rumor boards as switching to the 320. Maybe we may see some trade in 227s hit the market later in 2019. Again-no proof to back that up.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 3:42:10 AM EDT
[#2]
West,

Thanks very much for the candid feedback, this is what I was looking for.  Local shop has a new 227 for $989.  Will be close to $1100 out the door.  I had a stainless 220 about 13 years ago, one of my friends has it now, he never shoots it.  I never felt comfortable with it like my 226 pistols.

I had heard the same comments about discontinuing the 227 or reducing the model choices, and if LEOs are switching, yes some cheaper trade ins will be hitting the markets, possibly at some good prices.

I recently sold my 229 in .40, was my last .40 pistol, now only have 9 and .45 in the collection.  My .45s are all 1911 pistols, that is why I was thinking about the 227 to expand the .45 collection.

Again...thanks, your comments,  will put me on hold to do some thinking.

Link Posted: 12/11/2018 10:02:42 AM EDT
[#3]
If it was me, and just my opinion, I would not buy a P227 for that price unless it was something you really just have to have.

They are good guns. And finding parts should not be an an issue as the slide uses a 220 slide and I think all the springs and such use common P-series springs and such. At least as far as I know, I'm not an expert.

I went looking on gunbroker last night and the prices seem to have come up from where they were during the summer. I did not see any NIB guns that was close to the prices I was seeing during the summer.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:20:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
West,

Thanks very much for the candid feedback, this is what I was looking for.  Local shop has a new 227 for $989.  Will be close to $1100 out the door.  I had a stainless 220 about 13 years ago, one of my friends has it now, he never shoots it.  I never felt comfortable with it like my 226 pistols.

I had heard the same comments about discontinuing the 227 or reducing the model choices, and if LEOs are switching, yes some cheaper trade ins will be hitting the markets, possibly at some good prices.

I recently sold my 229 in .40, was my last .40 pistol, now only have 9 and .45 in the collection.  My .45s are all 1911 pistols, that is why I was thinking about the 227 to expand the .45 collection.

Again...thanks, your comments,  will put me on hold to do some thinking.

View Quote
That's a terrible price I saw new ones as low as 620 on Gunbroker this year.  As long as you could live with FDE.

A quick scan right now shows those are finally gone but about 700 new could still be done on black.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 4:22:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a 227 TACOPS with a threaded barrel that I use with an Osprey 45 on the end as my nightstand gun.  I never had any problems with the 3 extended mags I tried with mine, but I plan ot take it to the range again soon to test them a bit more thoroughly.  I bought mine before I knew there was a problem, and had problems finding more mags at first, but then found some on sale and stocked up.  I've shot FMJ, HST, Ranger T, and Ranger T +P, all in 230 grain.  I wanted a higher capacity .45 for my home defense gun, and the 227 was my choice over the HK45 Tactical, as I have a good collection of Sig 226s, and was more familiar with shooting those.  I'm very happy with my 227, and if some trade ins become available, I'll probably snag one if they are a good price.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top