Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 5:31:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
yeah yeah yeah

OP said “fighting revolver”

i post a ton of revolver stuff on this board,....but when grearing up for a fight, i’ll bring a rifle and semi auto handgun

there is nothing in the self defense world that my 686 does better than my M&P

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2275/19049817-91C4-4A60-8B3B-03F726FBF035_jpeg-1168812.JPG
View Quote
exactly

why make a conscious decision to limit yourself in a lethal encounter

Once you are in one there are generally only 2 ways it ends you win or you lose.

Why intentionally limit your capability with your weapon choice

You dont know how many assailants you will face, what cover you may or may not have and what weapons you may be faced with

To intentionally limit your firepower, reloading time and options makes no sense

I dont get it
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 5:35:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I handled a Kimber a couple of months ago.  It was very very nice.

I routinely carry a J Frame with Federal 38 HST.  That Kimber was nice.  That’s all I have to add.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 5:44:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
if you take the same skill level and compare revolver to semi-auto, there is no comparison in fighting capability

Sure with a good skill level you can run a revolver against somebody with mediocre skill and a semi-auto, but if you take that same skill  level and use a semi-auto I think you are much more effective with the semi-auto
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

probably this...( pic stolen from 03RN)

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/Resized_20190603_171019_jpg-1166405.JPG
but really this....

https://i.imgur.com/RrVf56Y.jpg
Old revolvers are....old.
new Rugers and S&W's have to be closely inspected for quality problems.

go shoot a local USPSA or IDPA match and look at how poorly they do on the overall scoresheets

I love revolvers, and enjoy shooting them, but I usually CCW M&P's
I don't completely disagree with you, revolvers are rarely if ever going to win high overall at the USPSA match and only slightly less rare at the IDPA match.  That said if you shoot enough USPSA and IDPA matches you realize how much of it is the Indian and not the arrow.  At club level matches unless I just completely crash and burn on more than one stage I consistently stay in the top 25% or better being the only competitor with his foot in the revolver bucket and I am just a B-class shooter.  I have won Production division at the club level more than once with my Revolver (Revolver setups are typical Production legal assuming you holster meet Production requirements).

The revolver is obsolete compared to the semi-auto but the semi-auto's technical advantages are not so great the skill level or lack there of can't overcome it.
if you take the same skill level and compare revolver to semi-auto, there is no comparison in fighting capability

Sure with a good skill level you can run a revolver against somebody with mediocre skill and a semi-auto, but if you take that same skill  level and use a semi-auto I think you are much more effective with the semi-auto
I agree and never meant to imply otherwise with my post.  Even Jerry Miculek can reload his 2011 faster than he can his 625.  My point was simply that you see a lot of really mediocre shooters out there thinking their high capacity tactical Tupperware means they don't have to practice and I frequently beat these bottom-feeder shooter at the local matches with my noble round gun.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 6:02:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I carried a Smith and Wesson Model 10 for two years when I lived in Washington DC.

OWB holster. Nobody ever noticed I was carrying. Well, one guy who I stuck the gun in his face during his failed attempt to rob me I'm pretty sure he noticed.

Comfortable to carry. Accurate.

Newer ammo is better than the ammo I was carrying back then. But, I'm pretty sure any .38 Special delivered inside the 8-ring is going to be adequate.

Here it is compared to a Beretta 92

.38 Special is still the real deal if you are running a wheelgun

FBI load 38 Special +P 158gr Semi Wad Cutter Hollow Point
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 6:46:45 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote
Well, as long as you are not going up against someone like say Jerry Miculek.
Then there is that old saying by way of Clint Smith "Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it!"
A trained shooter is dangerous with what is at hand, rather than theory of the keyboard commando.  
Plus another Clint related idea, at a gun fight there probably will be some spare guns on the ground.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 8:01:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
yeah yeah yeah

i post a ton of revolver stuff on this board,....but when grearing up for a fight, i’ll bring a rifle and semi auto handgun

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2275/19049817-91C4-4A60-8B3B-03F726FBF035_jpeg-1168812.JPG
View Quote
Of course but realistically a fight we may encounter as a private citizen is not exactly a direct action mission and you would be well taken care of with a medium revolver.

The few times i used my M9 in iraq it could of been a model 10 with no differece in outcome.

People overplay the capacity angle because its an easy angle to sell
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 8:12:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
exactly

Once you are in one there are generally only 2 ways it ends you win or you lose.

You dont know how many assailants you will face, what cover you may or may not have and what weapons you may be faced with

To intentionally limit your firepower, reloading time and options makes no sense

I dont get it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
yeah yeah yeah

exactly

I dont get it
Im really not arguing. Zombie apocalypse ill grab a semi but you mentioned cover. If you are anticipating cover than why not pick a round more capable of dealing with it? Just saying.

I carry autos a lot but realistically dont feel handicapped with a revolver.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 8:30:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Im really not arguing. Zombie apocalypse ill grab a semi but you mentioned cover. If you are anticipating cover than why not pick a round more capable of dealing with it? Just saying.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
yeah yeah yeah

exactly

I dont get it

If I carry a revolver, they are in pairs. I can shoot a small revolver about as well as anything and with less fatigue with full power loads than from my .40S&W handgun. At any rate, they fit a minor niche for me and I enjoy shooting and carrying them around.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 9:12:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Of course but realistically a fight we may encounter as a private citizen is not exactly a direct action mission and you would be well taken care of with a medium revolver.

The few times i used my M9 in iraq it could of been a model 10 with no differece in outcome.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
yeah yeah yeah

Definitely true.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 9:12:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Best fighting revolver?  Ruger's GP100 line, especially like my two Super GP100's in .357 magnum.  Likewise, S&W's R8 and TRR8.  All three carry eight rounds in full moon clips.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 11:19:09 AM EDT
[#11]
I think you boiled it down well, right here:

Colt King Kobra 3" (SKU: KCOBRA-SB3BB)
Kimber K6S DA/SA 3" (Product #: 3400016)

When I made this decision the DASA wasn't yet available from Kimber.  I went Colt KC and have genuinely enjoyed it.  I am now in the market for a Kimber DASA but finding the 3" is tough (there are exactly 2 DASAs in 3" on GunBroker right now).
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 12:17:58 PM EDT
[#12]
The best reason to carry a revolver is contact shots. It will keep on working when you are fighting someone on top of you, and not jam.

One of my two daily carry guns is a S&W M337 with a bobbed hammer, if I'm not carrying an RMR equipped G19, then this 3" Colt Agent with a XS Sights BigDot is my other gun. It weighs 16oz. Prior to retiring as a corporate pilot, this was the gun I kept in my flight bag because it was legal everywhere in the USA.

Link Posted: 2/1/2020 1:20:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm looking for an off-duty/CCW revolver. That means it should be smaller than a Glock 17. I don't necessarily care if it weighs as much, but easier to conceal meaning shorter in height.
I'd like it to be .38 special +P or .357 magnum.
View Quote
@OSU_Buckeyes
@03RN

Except for the lock, I think this is your best choice...

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 2:35:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Thank you for the replies everyone. I took everything into consideration....and bought a 1911. 8+1 rounds of .45 ACP and easy 8 round reloads beat 6-8 rounds and 6-8 round reloads that require tons of practice. It's easy to carry due to being so skinny, has tons of holster availability, and is on the same level of "coolness" as revolvers. If I had chosen a revolver, I would have gone with the S&W 66 combat magnum with VZ grips just like @03RN
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 4:33:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thank you for the replies everyone. I took everything into consideration....and bought a 1911. 8+1 rounds of .45 ACP and easy 8 round reloads beat 6-8 rounds and 6-8 round reloads that require tons of practice. It's easy to carry due to being so skinny, has tons of holster availability, and is on the same level of "coolness" as revolvers. If I had chosen a revolver, I would have gone with the S&W 66 combat magnum with VZ grips just like @03RN
View Quote
good choice

Link Posted: 2/8/2020 7:42:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Smith And Wesson R8.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 11:57:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The best reason to carry a revolver is contact shots. It will keep on working when you are fighting someone on top of you, and not jam.

One of my two daily carry guns is a S&W M337 with a bobbed hammer, if I'm not carrying an RMR equipped G19, then this 3" Colt Agent with a XS Sights BigDot is my other gun. It weighs 16oz. Prior to retiring as a corporate pilot, this was the gun I kept in my flight bag because it was legal everywhere in the USA.

https://i.imgur.com/69tZlS8.jpg
View Quote
That thing's purty!
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 7:29:07 AM EDT
[#18]
I have not carried (very much at all) a revolver in 35 years or so.

But, when I carried one on duty and off duty I didn't worry about weight.

The right holster, the right belt, and just carry it around and after a bit you'll be wondering (every now and then) if it's still in the holster.

My first choice would be a S&W 686.  Stainless steel makes it more tolerant of weather/sweat/handling.  Smooth.  Reliable.  Accurate.  Mine is a 4" and I'd try carrying it before spending money on a newer one with a shorter barrel.

Not sure why Ruger stopped making the Speed Sixes, Service Sixes, etc.  They are slightly smaller than the GP100s and still just as strong/reliable/accurate as a revolver needs to be.

If I was carrying a revolver concealed I'd want it to be a .357 magnum.

Do they make IWB holsters for revolvers?  That would help with concealability and weight issues.

If you want the revolver for carry be sure to look at the available holsters, available speed loaders, available speed loader pouches, etc.  It's not just the gun, it's everything you need to carry and run the gun.

You know, a very common thing with pistols is people want to change the sights.  You might want to look at available sights for revolvers.  FO, night sights, whatever you already like on your carry pistol you'll probably want something similar for a revolver.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 2:11:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If I was carrying a revolver concealed I'd want it to be a .357 magnum.

Do they make IWB holsters for revolvers?  That would help with concealability and weight issues.
View Quote
Yup
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 3:56:26 PM EDT
[#20]
In the year 2020, someone is looking for a "Fighting Revolver".
Well, sacrifice a Goat, and go get you one.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 12:32:13 PM EDT
[#21]
I recently acquired this 2 inch COLT detective special. It appears to be unfired outside the factory. I'll be carrying it soon. I hunt and fish in prairie rattlesnake country. The last two I shot were with 22 magnum shotshells. It wasn't quite powerful enough to kill them with one shot. This should work. In case I need to stop a two footed snake up close I shouldn't be under gunned with 38 plus p's.

Link Posted: 2/12/2020 6:28:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I recently acquired this 2 inch COLT detective special. It appears to be unfired outside the factory. I'll be carrying it soon. I hunt and fish in prairie rattlesnake country. The last two I shot were with 22 magnum shotshells. It wasn't quite powerful enough to kill them with one shot. This should work. In case I need to stop a two footed snake up close I shouldn't be under gunned with 38 plus p's.

https://i.imgur.com/bdydoLd.jpg
View Quote
I used to carry a 2.5" 686 when I did work in the swampy/wet areas and I'd load the first round up as a CCI shotshell.  I do the same thing with a 642 when I'm kayaking or fishing.  I've shot a few water moccasins with it and it did the job at short ranges; I try not to kill 'em unless they insist on entering my comfort zone.  I've never used one on a rattlesnake but I imagine it'd do the same.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 10:50:48 PM EDT
[#23]
SP101 327 federal magnum, 3” barrel, 6 rounds, easy to conceal.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 10:47:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
exactly

I dont get it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
yeah yeah yeah

OP said "fighting revolver"

i post a ton of revolver stuff on this board,....but when grearing up for a fight, i'll bring a rifle and semi auto handgun

exactly

I dont get it
Just my opinion and I'm not special

Ive carried and shot semi's and revolvers for many years now and here's my arrhythmic

I have had failures in both styles, but FAR and away the worst likelihood of failures is in small semi-autos.  The most reliable guns I own/owned have been service size semi's.

I spend a lot of my time in bear/lion country.  Meaningful percentage.

I spend the rest of my time in...less permissive environments (coffee shops, restaurants, museums, etc.).

In order of ease of carry and hiding for my carry style/preferences  (not printing: see above)  - 1.) J frame analogs 2.) tiny semis 3.) K frame analogs (mid size revolvers) 4.) 1911 5.) Wonder 9s

Unsurprisingly- I shoots larger guns better

So, when I consider that list and my likely threats, ability to hide, ability to hit, and it's ability to meaningfully kill a target- a round butt K frame analog is the best balance for me.

Can I run through a match better with a semi?  Yes, I will beat myself in a match with an M9 over any wheel gun.  But if I consider my most likely threats, 6 rounds of 357 manages very well.

In that light- I'd say a Smith and Wesson model 66 combat magnum or 19 Carry Comp would be my first choices.  I'm currently shopping for a 19 ... again

Attachment Attached File

*I think of light colored grips as insurance - khaki pant or undershirt colored is camouflage
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 6:59:42 PM EDT
[#25]
There's a reason 3" Smith and Wesson Model 66 and Model 13s are expensive. They are about the best in the power vs portability puzzle.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 8:03:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
There's a reason 3" Smith and Wesson Model 66 and Model 13s are expensive. They are about the best in the power vs portability puzzle.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/255759/68AEB34F-CCA7-47B7-AD70-C728D302A51A_jpe-1298161.JPG
View Quote
I like those grips
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 10:29:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I also think a combat revolver should be fixed sight, but I may be biased a bit.

Link Posted: 3/3/2020 11:07:01 PM EDT
[#28]
I think a fighting revolver (or gun for that matter) is whatever you have on you at the time of need. If i had to fight with any of my revolvers I wouldn't feel under gun. Realistically, in 6 rounds I'd solve the problem, or have fought my way to better weapons.

But my favorite ccw revolver is the 2" K-frame, followed by the 3" K-frame. My current ccw revolver is the 2" Model 12.

Link Posted: 3/3/2020 11:07:57 PM EDT
[#29]
@DakotaFAL, what grips on the M13?  Sweet blaster.

Link Posted: 3/4/2020 10:45:15 AM EDT
[#30]
@03RN

I see you are a R Grizzle holster fan too. I have 2... 1 for my P938 and a Sharkskin for my Pico.

What model revolver is the one you have in the bottom picture?
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 10:49:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
@03RN

I see you are a R Grizzle holster fan too. I have 2... 1 for my P938 and a Sharkskin for my Pico.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
@03RN

@LUVMYGUNS

A 4" M19
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 10:16:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Get an old security six.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:29:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Smith Wesson pre lock 586 or 686 in 4"
If too heavy then the pre lock 13, 19, 65 or 66 k frames with 4" barrel. I prefer the blued models as the sight picture is better.

The 3" pre lock  versions are unrealistically too cost prohibitive and do not carry all that much better.

Kimber revolvers are wanna be POS IMO. New Colt revolvers=same.

The old Ruger speed and security six revolvers are great but not at the mentioned Smiths level for the price. Crud would be a generous description. GP 100's are tanks and not for carry.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:52:26 AM EDT
[#34]
OP, I can confirm Ruger's SP101 has QC issues:

Attachment Attached File

They're going to take care of it, of course, but not inspiring out of the box.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 1:07:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/84655/IMG_20200309_154235_jpg-1308794.JPG

View Quote
Shouldn't that just rotate back?
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 1:17:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/84655/IMG_20200309_154235_jpg-1308794.JPG

That's what I was thinking.  Isn't that just the keyed end of the hammer pin?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM5lNV7EEug[/youtube]
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 1:38:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Yep.  It rotates back, then out again, while firing the 5 shots before the trigger locks to the rear.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 9:06:26 AM EDT
[#38]
The grips should support it. Is there a gap there? I wonder if you'll just need new grips
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 12:45:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:  The grips should support it. Is there a gap there? I wonder if you'll just need new grips
View Quote
It's rotating under the brand new factory grips during dry firing.  The real issue is the trigger locks to the rear every 5th pull.  Ruger is going to fix it, just waiting til I go to work at my LGS to ship.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 4:27:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It's rotating under the brand new factory grips during dry firing.  The real issue is the trigger locks to the rear every 5th pull.  Ruger is going to fix it, just waiting til I go to work at my LGS to ship.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  The grips should support it. Is there a gap there? I wonder if you'll just need new grips
Huh. That sucks
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 1:37:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Yep.  It rotates back, then out again, while firing the 5 shots before the trigger locks to the rear.
View Quote
I know what you mean and IMHO it is an incomprehensibly shitty design. They only thing holding those hammer pins in is like 1/4" or pliable rubber grip. I don't know what the hell there were thinking with that design. GPs do it too.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 5:40:44 PM EDT
[#42]
My 1948 S&W K-22 Masterpiece is probably my best "fighting revolver" because when I get it out, people fight over who gets to shoot it.
But then that's not what you meant.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 12:03:20 PM EDT
[#44]
S&W 65LS
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 7:33:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 9:23:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Those are a really nice configuration.

https://i.imgur.com/zjtfo.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
S&W 65LS

Those are a really nice configuration.

https://i.imgur.com/zjtfo.jpg

Definitely my favorite configuration and I regret not buying at least one of them when I had chances too.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 1:43:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Who makes those holsters?
View All Quotes

Jmcustom for the kydex aiwb and rgrizzle for the leather
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:46:17 AM EDT
[#48]
This threads been haunting me

got my hands on a 66-8 finally and have been carrying it for about 2 weeks.

I think Smith nailed it with this model.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:57:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By BigMat:
This threads been haunting me

got my hands on a 66-8 finally and have been carrying it for about 2 weeks.

These are terrific.  I think Smith nailed it with this model.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/179834/01DDE148-D987-4C89-B3B9-B5413ADAC227_jpe-1423191.JPG
View Quote

Nice

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:04:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Nice

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This threads been haunting me

got my hands on a 66-8 finally and have been carrying it for about 2 weeks.

These are terrific.  I think Smith nailed it with this model.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/179834/01DDE148-D987-4C89-B3B9-B5413ADAC227_jpe-1423191.JPG

Nice

thanks

Its basically your doing that I own this

Smith and Wesson should be paying you
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top