Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2021 3:39:07 PM EDT
I have a RIA 1911, I have replaced the barrel and now it is hitting about 3" low and 2" right at 12 yards. I can adjust the windage by tapping the sight over but to raise the point of impact I need a new front sight. The sight is dovetailed in. The top of the sight is approx .250" from the bottom of the dovetail slot. Is this where I measure to get the current sight height? If I have done my math right I will need a .300".
Make that a .200" sight.
Or am I measuring this all wrong?

ETA; are these dovetail standardized? If not how and what do I measure?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:24:10 PM EDT
[#1]
a suggestion... get a 12" bastard file and glue a piece (about 6") of of hard smooth material like formica to the handle end... for a 1911 in .45, about .010" inch in sight height was about 1" at 25yd.... the smooth surface is placed on the top of the rear sight as a guide, and gives you a parallel cut to the front sight and slightly lowers the front... go slow and measure often

measure from the bottom of the slide to the top of the front sight as it is much easier to get consistent readings rather than trying to use a depth reading

you can probably pick up a scrap piece of "mica" and worn out file from a local cabinet shop
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 6:16:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 6:56:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 6:57:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top