Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 3/24/2021 10:27:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: getchasum]
Hello All,

I had a local Gentleman liquidating his collection and I was able to pick up a few nice pieces. I’ve been able to put a value on everything but a 1975 Colt Combat Commander. The gun is Super Mint, I Was not able to obtain the original box. The Gentleman told me something about the gun being a limited production run and stated it was from the Colt Custom Shop. Weather that is true or not I have no idea. I’ve searched GB current and past auctions but I have been unable to nail it down.
Any help putting an accurate value on it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 10:40:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: QCMGR] [#1]
Originally Posted By getchasum:
Hello All,

I had a local Gentleman liquidating his collection and I was able to pick up a few nice pieces. I’ve been able to put a value on everything but a 1975 Colt Combat Commander. The gun is Super Mint, I Was not able to obtain the original box. The Gentleman told me something about the gun being a limited production run and stated it was from the Colt Custom Shop. Weather that is true or not I have no idea. I’ve searched GB current and past auctions but I have been unable to nail it down.
Any help putting an accurate value on it would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/344288/3A457364-74E5-43E7-AFBA-D7CA593138F2_jpe-1878885.JPG
View Quote

It has been molested...
$550.00
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 10:48:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: getchasum] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By QCMGR:

It has been molested...
$550.00
View Quote

I’m not sure what you are referencing. If it’s the grips which is the only thing that the original owner change... I do have the original grips for the gun as well.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 10:53:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: getchasum] [#3]
Edited - Removed
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 10:55:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: QCMGR] [#4]
View Quote

If someone offered that much take it before they figure out what it is.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 10:59:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Alloy frame? If so, it's just a Commander, a Combat Commander has a steel frame. But...........Colt also put the wrong names on their steel or alloy frames more then a few times. I doubt Colt did the mods, those are more period 1911 Smith mods. If it shoots well then no issue save for the value. Few COlts go up in value once they are modded unless they are done by a known famous Smith.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 10:59:16 PM EDT
[#6]

I’m not sure what you are referencing. If it’s the grips which is the only thing that the original owner change... I do have the original grips for the gun as well.

And I guess I better take the $1300 I was offered for it.
View Quote

Its a custom, but without the paperwork from colt, we have to assume it was buba...

Also, I've never seen colt custom shop do the mods I see on the frame. I can be wrong, but it "looks" off.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 11:01:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Please tell me more. I don’t know 1911’s
I do know that it’s a very nice gun to be a 1975. The original owner worked in a gun store for 30 plus years so I was able to pick up several nice Colt snake guns,  early S&W 66’s and a couple others.
The Gentleman I purchased these from, this one seemed to be his priced possession. As noted he stated a limited run out of Colts Custom Shop.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 11:04:45 PM EDT
[#8]
If someone offered 1,300 take it and run.  

She been bubba'd.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 11:09:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Please tell me more. I don’t know 1911’s
I do know that it’s a very nice gun to be a 1975. The original owner worked in a gun store for 30 plus years so I was able to pick up several nice Colt snake guns,  early S&W 66’s and a couple others.
The Gentleman I purchased these from, this one seemed to be his priced possession. As noted he stated a limited run out of Colts Custom Shop.
View Quote

See if you can conjure up Jason Burton for an opinion.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 12:44:44 AM EDT
[#10]
The Colt Custom shop would do things upon customer request, but I doubt they ever let a pistol leave the shop with that grip stipiling, an extended slide release, and what looks to be a Gold Cup trigger.  

The sight looks like an elision with the usual walking roll pin, so that could be original.  

If you do strip it and find a secondary sear spring and depressor that would be very interesting.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 7:18:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Evil_Ed] [#11]
That is not in any way anything that came out of Colt's Custom Shop...that gun went to one of a handful of high end smiths IMO. Not a whole lot could pull off a squared trigger guard without making it look horrible. You can't call Colt and have that done today, never mind back in the 70s or early 80s. The tri-tipped stippling is another giveaway that it went to a custom smith; not something Colt would do. The lettering being nearly buffed off the slide is another indication that it didn't go through Colt; their refinishing shop is world-class and well known for not buffing off their own markings...but, a lot of other refinishers are not quite as practiced. Being that the slide is high gloss, it's not surprising that someone got a little happy with the buffing wheel.

I think the seller is mistaken as to that gun's provenance; either that, or the person who sold it to him, also sold him on a fairy tale about it.

Take the gun apart, see if there's a smiths name on the underside of the slide or on the frame between the magwell and the hammer? Or perhaps under the grips?

Also try posting this in the gunsmithing section of 1911forum, maybe someone there can identify who worked the gun over?
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 9:59:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the input. This is the 1st 1911 I’ve had in my possession, so I don’t feel comfortable taking it apart. (I prefer collecting revolvers) At this point I think I will let someone else own it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 10:09:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FlyingButtPliers] [#13]
S&W sights?

ETA: That used to be a popular "upgrade". Especially on Browning Hi Powers.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 10:37:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By EnblocM2Ping:
S&W sights?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/382442/Screenshot_20210325-091142_DuckDuckGo_jp-1879191.JPG
View Quote

...no, not even close...the sights on that S&W 1911, which btw did not exist in the 70s or early 80s when that work was probably done, are more-or-less standard adjustable 1911 sights. The sights on the OPs gun are an earlier iteration, but still more-or-less standard 1911 sights.

You're thinking of S&W revolver sights, which are a totally different animal, and if you google Pachmayr, Behlert, Swenson, etc builds...you'll see them.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 11:24:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By EnblocM2Ping:
S&W sights?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/382442/Screenshot_20210325-091142_DuckDuckGo_jp-1879191.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/25/2021 12:23:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Evil_Ed:

...no, not even close...the sights on that S&W 1911, which btw did not exist in the 70s or early 80s when that work was probably done, are more-or-less standard adjustable 1911 sights. The sights on the OPs gun are an earlier iteration, but still more-or-less standard 1911 sights.

You're thinking of S&W revolver sights, which are a totally different animal, and if you google Pachmayr, Behlert, Swenson, etc builds...you'll see them.
View Quote

Yeah, I guess I shouldn't have posted that picture. It didn't really portray what I was trying to say. Oh well, I'll go be a boomer elsewhere.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 1:39:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Maybe it is just the photo angle, but the slide looks like it was polished and the roll marks are not as visible.

If this is the case, it is a bubba job.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 1:52:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the education....
I appreciate all that responded, even though some of it cut pretty hard.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 1:54:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Actually I just pulled it out again to look at the slide. It’s the camera angle, the roll marks are deep and nice.

I’ve decided to pull pictures and let the thread die a slow death.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 7:06:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Actually I just pulled it out again to look at the slide. It’s the camera angle, the roll marks are deep and nice.

I’ve decided to pull pictures and let the thread die a slow death.
View Quote

Well, I mean, if it's a Pachmayr or Behlert or Swenson, it might be a $4000+ gun. You really kind of need to inspect it, take it apart/remove the grips, and see if you can find who did the work. That gun looks like it had the equivalent of $3000+ in today's money worth of work done to it. That gun was not cheap. Finding out who did the work would go a long way to making sure it's properly valued.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 8:58:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: getchasum] [#21]

Well, I mean, if it's a Pachmayr or Behlert or Swenson, it might be a $4000+ gun. You really kind of need to inspect it, take it apart/remove the grips, and see if you can find who did the work. That gun looks like it had the equivalent of $3000+ in today's money worth of work done to it. That gun was not cheap. Finding out who did the work would go a long way to making sure it's properly valued.
View Quote

I did pull the grips on my lunch break today. Heck I was getting beat down on value so much, I was afraid to accept more negative feedback and feared I would not recoup my investment (which was more than double the price that got tossed out) The original owner is a very sick man, honestly he will not be around much longer. I don’t know 1911’s and I damn sure didn’t want to have a confrontation with him over something that pain him to let loose of in the first place. I’ll agree....after feedback from others its a custom worked gun verses a Colt Custom Shop gun. However everything is top notch and I sure wouldn’t call it molested or bubba’d by any standard. I guess I was maybe a little thinned skin and ready to tuck & run....
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 11:28:54 PM EDT
[#22]

I did pull the grips on my lunch break today. Heck I was getting beat down on value so much, I was afraid to accept more negative feedback and feared I would not recoup my investment (which was more than double the price that got tossed out) The original owner is a very sick man, honestly he will not be around much longer. I don’t know 1911’s and I damn sure didn’t want to have a confrontation with him over something that pain him to let loose of in the first place. I’ll agree....after feedback from others its a custom worked gun verses a Colt Custom Shop gun. However everything is top notch and I sure wouldn’t call it molested or bubba’d by any standard. I guess I was maybe a little thinned skin and ready to tuck & run....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

You just need to understand that you're dealing with two different sets of collectors or buyers. Colt collectors want ONLY pristine, completely original guns while someone who likes to first and foremost shoot the bullseye out of a target and appreciates custom work will like yours. I like it myself even though I have more then a few Colts in the stable.

I think most people were just commenting that the custom work done on it wasn't they type Colt tended to do.

Every now and again, Jason Burton [sp?] will post up some custom work he has done, most often on a Colt from what I can see and honestly, I have to be careful not to get drool on the computer keyboard.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 6:32:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By fxntime:

You just need to understand that you're dealing with two different sets of collectors or buyers. Colt collectors want ONLY pristine, completely original guns while someone who likes to first and foremost shoot the bullseye out of a target and appreciates custom work will like yours. I like it myself even though I have more then a few Colts in the stable.

I think most people were just commenting that the custom work done on it wasn't they type Colt tended to do.

Every now and again, Jason Burton [sp?] will post up some custom work he has done, most often on a Colt from what I can see and honestly, I have to be careful not to get drool on the computer keyboard.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fxntime:

You're forgetting a bunch of other collectors; people who look for/collect examples of specific gunsmith's work (like collecting Swensons, etc); people who want to "collect the set" (get an example of every notable smith's work), etc etc etc.

There's a ton of reasons to collect guns; Colt on the slide and frame makes it more collectable to any collector. The main thing in this case is figuring out who did the work. A gun with that much work should have a maker's mark on it somewhere. Usually on the pick up rail on the bottom of the slide, or under the grips on the frame, or inside the frame somewhere (maybe inside the dust cover), etc.

OP, if you're sure Colt Custom did the work, you can call Colt and request a letter from them, or ask them if their CS did the work...they should know. Otherwise, you really need to take the gun apart, or at least remove the slide from the frame, if you want any hope of figuring out who did it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 9:43:10 AM EDT
[#24]

OP, if you're sure Colt Custom did the work, you can call Colt and request a letter from them, or ask them if their CS did the work...they should know. Otherwise, you really need to take the gun apart, or at least remove the slide from the frame, if you want any hope of figuring out who did it.
View Quote

No Sir, I’ve conceded that the work has been done by 70s era Smith. Now at this point I just have to figure out who that was. 1911’s are not in my wheelhouse so I’ve been reluctant to attempt taking it down.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 2:36:26 PM EDT
[#25]

No Sir, I’ve conceded that the work has been done by 70s era Smith. Now at this point I just have to figure out who that was. 1911’s are not in my wheelhouse so I’ve been reluctant to attempt taking it down.
View Quote

No big deal; nearly all smiths have a particular signature style...if you post detailed photos on 1911forum or Louder Than Words, I'm sure someone who is more well versed in the customs than I am would be able to identify the gunsmith, if it's not engraved on the inside of the gun anywhere..
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 8:18:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By dusty3030:
If someone offered 1,300 take it and run.  

She been bubba'd.
View Quote

This.

Colt didn't do that gun any more than I did.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 12:26:46 PM EDT
[#27]
To help narrow it down it does look well executed in a style ( considering the sights involved ) consistent with the very late 70’s to mid 80’s

Certainly not how colt would do it.

A simple field strip and grip removal may reveal the maker who did it. Often engraved under the grip or on the underside of the slide by the firing pin channel.

As said finding evidence of a specific smith associated with the pistol makes a massive difference

For instance if positively identified as a gun built by Swenson it could be a $4000 gun. Without proof an $800 gun. The provenance is everything here
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 6:16:36 AM EDT
[#28]
It shows signs of old school mods.
It is a older Colt.
I would put it somewhere in the $1200 price area.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top