Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2020 1:50:21 PM EDT
I’m trading into a like new Blackhawk New Model, .45 colt and .45acp cylinder model. Blued, 4 3/4” barrel.
I was looking for an 1873 SAA clone but found this.

Opinions? Here’s a pic from the owner:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/10/2020 2:08:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Had one. Was a fine gun. Mine had the longer barrel in case I wanted to use it to hunt with. Handles 45acp like a dream.
I used it to shoot up a bunch of 45 Super I had lying around and made a great package. Alas one of those where someone was willing to pay enough money I couldn’t pass. You will enjoy.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 2:43:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks- I got it in hand, I’ll get some pictures up later. 2012 production, looks new. It was inherited from an uncle who had two if these, and two of the .357 models.

I’ll have to see what grips are out there for it, and definitely need a western style holster.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 2:43:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Friend has one.  In 45 Colt its a tack driver.  In 45 acp its a decent shotgun.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 3:51:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm going to try to get to the range tomorrow and put some rounds through it, and decide if I'm keeping it. I was originally looking for one of the Colt SAA clones in .45 colt but this came along...The extra 45acp cylinder is a plus, but I have 1911's for that caliber.

What's the benefit of the Blackhawk over one of the clones?
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 4:20:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm going to try to get to the range tomorrow and put some rounds through it, and decide if I'm keeping it. I was originally looking for one of the Colt SAA clones in .45 colt but this came along...The extra 45acp cylinder is a plus, but I have 1911's for that caliber.

View Quote

Adjustable sights.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 7:55:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Adjustable sights.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/10/2020 8:24:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Strength.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 8:42:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Strength.
View Quote

Nice- can you elaborate? Ive been trying to learn what I can, but searches get overwhelming with New this, Old that, Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk...
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 11:00:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Had one. Flat Top model. Front sight came off the barrel not once, but twice. Dumped it after that. That was my first, but certainly not last, experience with Ruger's shitty QC. Shot good when it actually had a front sight though.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 11:28:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I've had two of them.  I kept the stainless 5.5" Bisley model and I absolutely love it.

The differences are that the Blackhawk has adjustable sights and is much stronger.  That means it's also physically larger and heavier but not ridiculously so.  

The Blackhawks are fun to shoot and make fantastic choices for carrying in bear country.  As long as it's not a "flat top" model with a 3 digit prefix on the serial number it's as strong as a tank.  

You can shoot much hotter .45 Colt ammo, all the way up to .44 magnum performance levels, in a full size Blackhawk.  Loads that would likely destroy an 1873 SAA clone or variation are perfectly safe in the Blackhawk.  The .45 acp cylinder allows you to also shoot .45 Super.   Google John Linebaugh .45 Colt Blackhawk and you'll find some fantastic information.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 7:24:37 AM EDT
[#11]
1911 mag makes a great speed loader for 45acp cylinder. Especially if you have gross motor skill & dexterity problems.  Much easier to push a round into a chamber from a mag than with your fingers.

I'd love another convertible.  Had 2 or 3 different ones(45s) but had to sell them over the years.
If I do get another I'd probably go with 9mm/357mag.  Just cause I'm set for reloading 357 & 38 and have a pile of 9mm.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 7:41:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Had one. Flat Top model. Front sight came off the barrel not once, but twice. Dumped it after that. That was my first, but certainly not last, experience with Ruger's shitty QC. Shot good when it actually had a front sight though.
View Quote

I have had issues with Ruger CS on a ranch rifle and a patrol carbine .
Many folks claim "don't worry , Ruger CS will take care of you" My answer is they should , they have lots of practice. We are in the modern times where the customer and CS has replaced the inspector who should be culling out the bastard guns that should never been let out the door.

As to the OP, fine gun . Less traditional than a true SAA or clone with better wire springs and stronger steel . That gun is quite suitable to handle stout 45colt loads every bit as powerful as 44 mag.
Standard 45 colt cowboy loads up through full power 45colt loads covers a lot of useable ground. With full loads a very capable hunting pistol.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 6:00:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the info! It is a 2-digit prefix serial, btw.

I got frustrated with work and went shooting- took the Blackhawk w/ the 45 Colt cyl. I'm stuck in suburbia, so the indoor range had to do.

I put about 40 rounds through it, with a mix of light reloads and some hotter, older Winchesters. The trigger is almost unbelievable! I have had 1873's that have been worked on or swapped with Wolffe springs, and this thing beats them all!

My only complaint with it would be the grip(s). Too small for me- I have very large hands, and compared to an 1873 clone, it felt imbalanced because of the smaller -to me- grip. These appear to be plastic panels and somewhat thin. I know there's a million choices of grips out there...can you recommend a 'fatter' set of stocks for this? -on the lower end of the budget scale...

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/12/2020 11:15:30 PM EDT
[#14]
You can find some fatter grips from Altamont from $40 on up.  Sometimes you can find used grips for sale for a decent price.  

I had the same plastic grips on my first Blackhawk and didn't really like them either.  Swapped them out for a set fatter grips which were better.  Changes the entire feel of the gun.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 9:35:24 PM EDT
[#15]
You'll grow to love it!

Link Posted: 12/14/2020 3:57:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Is that a Bisley grip I see, or just the angle of the photo?
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 7:02:27 AM EDT
[#17]
The sky is the limit on blackhawk customization. If you have really big hands, you can get oversized grip frames.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 2:39:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The sky is the limit on blackhawk customization. If you have really big hands, you can get oversized grip frames.
View Quote

That’s what I’m learning- I see this thing has an anodized aluminum grip frame, so I’m thinking about what I can do with that- strip and polish it? Find a brass replacement?
I’m looking at all the grip options out there, too. I bought some funky thicker grips off eBay in a zebra pattern for now.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:03:57 AM EDT
[#19]
I stripped the black anodizing off my grip frame and hit it with some 600 grit and steel wool to give it a brushed look. Grips are factory Ruger that I bought from Ruger on sale. The wood is a bit thicker than those skinny little plastic ones that came on it. I was hoping for a bit lighter grey, but they look alright with the gun. Same model as yours, .45 Colt / ACP convertible. I did swap out the hammer for the lower Bisley style. Midway has stainless grip frames in stock for about $120 or so. I have been thinking of swapping it out to add a bit more weight to help with the heavy loads.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 12:32:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I stripped the black anodizing off my grip frame and hit it with some 600 grit and steel wool to give it a brushed look. Grips are factory Ruger that I bought from Ruger on sale. The wood is a bit thicker than those skinny little plastic ones that came on it. I was hoping for a bit lighter grey, but they look alright with the gun. Same model as yours, .45 Colt / ACP convertible. I did swap out the hammer for the lower Bisley style. Midway has stainless grip frames in stock for about $120 or so. I have been thinking of swapping it out to add a bit more weight to help with the heavy loads.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/18550/5070DBE4-0061-451D-8C28-EF4565B95A0A_jpe-1736657.JPG
View Quote

Nice! That looks great...I like the Bisley hammer a lot.

edit: definitely going to go with the Bisley hammer. I also love the look of a brass grip frame, but those are crazy expensive. I'm tempted to try something like this Brass finish on my polished aluminum frame. Add some medium brown wood grips like a walnut or cherry, and have the look I'm after.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 12:31:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's a Bisley.  I like the way the Bisley grip feels when shooting hotter ammo.  And lighter ammo too if I'm being completely honest.  I like the standard plow handle well enough but the Bisley just feels much better to me.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 12:34:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/18550/5070DBE4-0061-451D-8C28-EF4565B95A0A_jpe-1736657.JPG
View Quote

I really like the grip frame stripped like that!  Makes me wish I had another blued model to do it to.  With the black grips it looks great.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 12:35:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have one.  The Blackhawk is very strong, so you can pump up those 45 Colt loads if you reload.

Link Posted: 12/21/2020 4:02:24 PM EDT
[#24]
I’m growing fond of this; initially I was not finding it visually appealing, but it’s growing on me. The versatility has won me over, I think.
My quest now is to find some fatter walnut grips...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 12:14:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Bought a new 2005 4 5/8", blued w/wooden grips for $450.  It is a joy to shoot, especially the 45acp loads.  For target shooting, I use Barry's and Rainier plated 230-gr. bullets.
The 45acp accuracy is as good if not better than my SIG-220, and the empty cases end up in a neat pile on the shooting table.

My 45 Colt load is a 250gr. Hornady XTP (.452) over 13-gr. of Blue Dot using Starline brass.  Unique and H-110 powders are perhaps better choices if you can find it.
The recoil is stout but manageable, being at the low end of the +P CUP range.  

There is just something special about shooting a single action revolver.  If you reload 45acp AND 45 Colt, the versatility and load combinations are endless, and can be economical compared to other cartridges.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 2:41:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Attachment Attached File

Picked this up from a local forum. She was stolen and recovered from the original owner. When he got it back it was to beat up foe him so I bought it.  It isn't a factory convertible.  I picked up a .45 ACP cylinder from the E&E and need to have my 'smith fit it.

I had a convertible before but foolishly sold it.  I regretted it ever since.

Get the cylinder fit and send the grip frame off to Chig's Grips is next.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 7:17:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That’s what I’m learning- I see this thing has an anodized aluminum grip frame, so I’m thinking about what I can do with that- strip and polish it? Find a brass replacement?
I’m looking at all the grip options out there, too. I bought some funky thicker grips off eBay in a zebra pattern for now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you can swap in a Super Blackhawk Hunter grip frame which is supposedly the longest Ruger grip frame.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 7:55:17 AM EDT
[#28]
I think this guys grips are the best. I have a set of black walnuts from him on my 4-5/8 .357/9 convertible.  I sent him my grip frame.

http://chigsgrips.com/
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 4:37:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Purchased this new about 10 years ago for $450.  It is a joy to shoot, especially w/the ACP cylinder.
Reloading ACP rounds using Barry's plated bullets is relatively inexpensive w/mild recoil.
Accuracy is very good.

The 45 Colt load shown here is stout but not painful with the factory grips.  

The range of cartridge choices with the convertible option is quite amazing.
At the low power low recoil end is the ACP 230gr. bullet at about 750fps using Clays powder.
At the high end (+P) is the 45Colt 250gr. bullet at 1430 fps using H-110 powder (this load equals or exceeds 44-mag ballistics - NOT TO BE USED on standard 45Colt revolvers).

45 Colt/ACP Blackhawk
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 5:55:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Ronnie Wells does the whole grip frame, just about any shape you're wanting.

Attachment Attached File

This is my 4-5/8 .357 blackhawk with two different brass grip frames from Ronnie, with grips. He moved the trigger location forward for me, setting the angle to more of a straight-back pull instead of the upwards stock style. The walnut is the dealer model, more vertical and back a little, and the other is kind of like an extended stock frame, both are so much better than the way it was before. Oh, and a 9mm cylinder.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 10:30:10 AM EDT
[#31]
I have a .45 Colt/.45acp convertible and a .44 Magnum, both with 4 and 5/8 inch barrels. At first glance they look identical but there are a couple of differences. The .45 has an aluminum grip frame and a hammer with a tall spur. I’d like to replace them both to make the gun exactly like the .44.
The .45’s barrel isn’t “clocked” correctly and needs a trip back to Ruger. I’ll ask if they’ll do the other work. I know they used to but I read recently that they will no longer change the configuration from the way it was originally built.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 10:42:10 AM EDT
[#32]
I have the same BH. Love shooting the 45 ACP side. I haven’t shot the 45 Colt yet.  I tried carrying it hinting last year but the holster I had made for it was trash and fell apart I’m the middle of a hike.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 11:20:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/301912/Jims_gun-25_jpeg-2030131.JPG

This is my 4-5/8 .357 blackhawk with two different brass grip frames from Ronnie, with grips. He moved the trigger location forward for me, setting the angle to more of a straight-back pull instead of the upwards stock style. The walnut is the dealer model, more vertical and back a little, and the other is kind of like an extended stock frame, both are so much better than the way it was before. Oh, and a 9mm cylinder.
View Quote

That is stunning!!!
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 11:41:51 AM EDT
[#34]
My favorite barrel length!

A friend had one and it was priceless being able to shoot free .45ACP rounds at the range on base.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 11:43:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I have one.  The Blackhawk is very strong, so you can pump up those 45 Colt loads if you reload.
View Quote
Yes, to .44 mag levels.  Same frame.  A friend takes his .45 Bisley/blackhawk on Safari.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 11:44:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/301912/Jims_gun-25_jpeg-2030131.JPG

View Quote
That is a beauty!
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 11:44:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
You can also polish the ejector rod housing. I am pretty sure it is anodized aluminum, but a magnet will tell you that in a second.  I did the same with a Super Single Six.

Link Posted: 7/29/2021 12:02:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
This will help more, cheaper too:

Link Posted: 7/31/2021 7:52:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Don't forget when you can't find .45 Colt or .45 ACP.  The Colt cylinder can also shoot the shorter .45 S&W Scholfield.

My Ruger NM Blackhawk in .41 Mag came with those black plastic grips.  Swapped them out for the wood pair on my early 80s Single Six.

CD
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 7:58:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info! It is a 2-digit prefix serial, btw.

I got frustrated with work and went shooting- took the Blackhawk w/ the 45 Colt cyl. I'm stuck in suburbia, so the indoor range had to do.

I put about 40 rounds through it, with a mix of light reloads and some hotter, older Winchesters. The trigger is almost unbelievable! I have had 1873's that have been worked on or swapped with Wolffe springs, and this thing beats them all!

My only complaint with it would be the grip(s). Too small for me- I have very large hands, and compared to an 1873 clone, it felt imbalanced because of the smaller -to me- grip. These appear to be plastic panels and somewhat thin. I know there's a million choices of grips out there...can you recommend a 'fatter' set of stocks for this? -on the lower end of the budget scale...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/73252/75C7D2B1-7FAF-4BD2-AD9E-B96627FC0A6E_jpe-1726375.JPG

View Quote

That thing looks tiny.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 4:33:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That thing looks tiny.
View Quote

My hands are ginormous.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 8:51:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yes, to .44 mag levels.  Same frame.  A friend takes his .45 Bisley/blackhawk on Safari.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can approach .44 mag loads in terms of energy but pressure levels are a different story. In that regard it's best to keep the max pressure level of hot .45 Colt loads to 80% of .44 magnum pressures.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 7:16:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Don't forget when you can't find .45 Colt or .45 ACP.  The Colt cylinder can also shoot the shorter .45 S&W Scholfield.

My Ruger NM Blackhawk in .41 Mag came with those black plastic grips.  Swapped them out for the wood pair on my early 80s Single Six.

CD
View Quote

...also .455 Webley if I remember correctly...

I'm going to strip the anodizing off the frame, polish it and spray it in KG Gunkote pale gold- it should end up looking like a brass frame. Ive put a set of Hogue cocobolos on it, and I've also got a Ruger Bisley Vaquero hammer I am going to fit to it. I also found a vintage 1940's holster and gun belt for it that was dirt cheap off eBay.
I'll get a pic up here in a bit.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 3:20:39 PM EDT
[#44]
The holster- a ‘40’s rig..

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 10:18:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Now that you have the gun, one thing to check, on both cylinders, is the chamber throat diameter. My guns are 20 yrs. old. Hopefully Ruger has corrected the issue, but at that time, Ruger had problems making consistent chamber throats. Mine were all undersized, but not only that, they had colorful shapes, like tapered, or trapezoidal, or S shaped or whatever. Fortunately they were enough undersized that when I reamed them, it cleaned up the mistakes. After they were reamed, they are all very accurate.
I also had the .45 ACP cylinders trimmed to allow the use of .45 AR brass, which I prefer for mousefart range loads. I use the .45 AR in my S&W 625 and don’t have to mess around with moon clips.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 3:58:52 PM EDT
[#46]
The convertible models are nice offering from Ruger, I've had my share of the 45 Colt/ACP models but for a long time Ruger has run their .45 cylinder throats notably undersized and most have a barrel constriction too where the barrel screws into the frame.   They're still shootable but usually accuracy isn't top notch, those issues can be corrected but you'll have to send off your cylinder throats reamed to .4525"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top