Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2018 11:50:55 PM EDT
Recently I've been going through a revelation of sorts, shying away from Glocks for the first time in many years. I've gotten bitten my the Beretta bug, having gotten three 92 variations within the past 3-4 months. I figured I'd calm down, but lately I've had a hankering to go back to carrying a 1911. It's seems.only fitting, considering a 1911 was among the first firearms I carried after turning 21 and getting my CCs. Figured it was only fitting 10 years later to start carrying one again.

However, being cash poor and not willing to trade anything I currently have for one, I did the next best thing....went to my parents house where I still keep a few guns of mine that my dad enjoys shooting and so I can't go off on a whim and trade them off for something I've got to have that moment.

In the safe I retrieved my Kimber Ultra CDP II that I purchased right around Christmas 2013. Funny backstory is that this is the one gun my wife honestly gets mad about when she sees it. Not because of anything horrific, but because that was our first true Christmas together since we got back together (high school sweethearts, off/on throughout college) not counting the previous Christmas cause I was in Afghanistan.

While home on leave, she starts dropping hits it's time to go ring shopping. I say I was going to the gun show with my dad and uncles instead. I had sold a few guns earlier in my Christmas leave so I had some walking around money but didn't find anything at the show that peaked my interest.

My dad and I decided to go to a local gun store that had just opened up not long before. Inside I found this Kimber underneath the glass just begging me to bring it home. It was on consignment at the time, and I really wanted it but they couldn't really budge on price.  My then gf (now wife) happened to call me at same moment I'm deciding what I'm going to do and during the course of our conversation proceeds to tell me I AM NOT TO BUY ANOTHER GUN UNTIL SHE GETS HER RING.

Not the type to shy from a challenge, I quickly get off the phone, walk out to my car.....and get the rest of my money and proceed to go inside and buy the gun for $650. She didn't talk to me for rest if day and eventually forgave me and got her ring on 12/13/14.

I quit carrying it a few years ago, mainly cause I went to a Glock 43 or Shield 9mm. Bought a new kydex IWB holster for it today to start occasionally carrying it again.

While I have it, I want to do some upgrades, primarily the sights and grips. I would love a set of Trijicon HDs but I don't think they will fit but I'm not an expert. I'm looking at VZ grips, just haven't decided which ones.

Any other upgrades or recommendations are highly sought anf appreciated

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 3:33:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Mine has never fired a round that it couldn't jam on.

Kinda disgusted with it.

Maybe someday I'll send it back to the factory and see if they can do anything to fix it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 5:05:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Mine was turned into a 22 host

it was a blast furnace when I shot it.

hasnt seen much 45 since I got the 22 upper
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:05:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Mine has always ran good. I carry it daily. Check it out before putting extra money into it to make sure it's reliable.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 11:02:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Guess I've been blessed, I've never had a single jam in it and I've fired roughly 500+ rounds through it of various manufacturers including self defense ammunition.

I'm planning on firing a couple hundred through it again before I start carrying it just to ensure function and to reassociate myself with it.

I'm definitely going to go ahead and replace the grips here soon with some VZ grips. The sights I might hold off on for time being.

I've read that the MSH is plastic in these, would it be to much of a pain to replace it with one from Ed Brown?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top