Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2021 6:46:08 PM EDT
Sadly my grandpa passed away last July. He grew up on a farm in rural Michigan he joined the Marines at the start of the Korean war. After the war he was stationed in sandeago and decided to stay in California.
He was great he thought me to shoot, fish and hunt. He was very involved in his church after he retired. He became a comander in the royal rangers ( a Christian version of the boy scouts) I remember I couldn't wait to be old enough to join his troop. He tought us land navigation and some field craft. It was a great time.
I ended up inheriting his 1911. He bought it through mail order some time in the mid 50's. Said he sent $30 and about 4 months later it arrived. I remember him letting me shoot it when I was around 10 or so that was the only time I really remember him shooting it. He wasn't a big pistol guy he loved his precision rifles and working up loads for them. The 1911 sat in his night stand with a few mags for as long as I can remember and probably lived there sence he bought it.

Its nothing special just a arsenal  rebuild remington rand slide on a colt frame but to me it's something special. Anyway just wanted to share some pictures of my grandpas 1911

This is a picture of the last time we went shooting. He is shooting his Winchester model 70 shortly after this he had some health problems and couldn't shoot his high powered rifles anymore.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 6:49:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 6:54:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I carried 1911s just like that one during the '70s and '80s.

Just looking at it brings back memories as I'm sure it does for you.

Take good care of that old war horse.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 7:02:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I have 2 of my grandpas 38s. I never saw them when he was alive but heard rumor. It took 10 years after his passing for me to get them. One is unfired but I will shoot it.

The other I had a hard time not losing it when I got to set the first one off. It’s worn from his hands and years of carry.

Link Posted: 2/9/2021 7:21:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The other I had a hard time not losing it when I got to set the first one off. It’s worn from his hands and years of carry.

View Quote

I know what you mean. I also have his model 70 with about 80 rounds of this pet load for it. I haven't been able to bring myself to shoot it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 7:46:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Great memories!
I have it's mirror image, Colt Slide on a Remington Rand frame.
Yours probably came to your Grandfather from the DCM (predecessor of the CMP) since it took Four months to get. For a small fee the will look it up and if it came from them send a letter confirming his purchase and shipping info.
Yours was built in 1943
Serial numbers and year of manufacture

Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:18:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Sadly my grandpa passed away last July. He grew up on a farm in rural Michigan he joined the Marines at the start of the Korean war. After the war he was stationed in sandeago and decided to stay in California.
He was great he thought me to shoot, fish and hunt. He was very involved in his church after he retired. He became a comander in the royal rangers ( a Christian version of the boy scouts) I remember I couldn't wait to be old enough to join his troop. He tought us land navigation and some field craft. It was a great time.
I ended up inheriting his 1911. He bought it through mail order some time in the mid 50's. Said he sent $30 and about 4 months later it arrived. I remember him letting me shoot it when I was around 10 or so that was the only time I really remember him shooting it. He wasn't a big pistol guy he loved his precision rifles and working up loads for them. The 1911 sat in his night stand with a few mags for as long as I can remember and probably lived there sence he bought it.

Its nothing special just a arsenal  rebuild remington rand slide on a colt frame but to me it's something special. Anyway just wanted to share some pictures of my grandpas 1911

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/188534/20210208_200351-1817971.jpg

Thanks for sharing that story. You have a very special 1911 there.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/188534/20210208_200434-1817972.jpg

This is a picture of the last time we went shooting. He is shooting his Winchester model 70 shortly after this he had some health problems and couldn't shoot his high powered rifles anymore.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/188534/013-597691-1817981.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:59:55 PM EDT
[#7]
That's awesome!

My grandpa was a WW2 vet in the 1st Armored Division and fought across North Africa and up through Italy. He brought back 2 Lugers and a 98k. He kept one of the Lugers in his nightstand for the next 50yrs (and almost shot Dad one night when dad came sneaking back into the house at 2am back in the 70's). Sadly, we were anchored in Illinois, so grandpa never carried anything. He was also very "Fudd" like and had a large disdain for any guns outside of pump shotguns and bolt guns.

Alas, I don't talk to my parents anymore, so I will never see any of grandpa's guns and probably none of my dad's either.

Cherish that treasure.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 11:52:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for sharing your memories and pictures.

Heirloom firearms are a tradition that my family never adopted.  When my dad died 10 years ago (10th anniversary is in about 3 weeks) he had written in his Will that I was to inherit his only firearm (Remington Model 7 CDL in 243).  My sister told me my uncle (dad’s brother) had it.  I contacted my uncle and arranged to pick it up.  During the call my uncle told me how nice the rifle was.

I drove 4 hours to retrieve the rifle and upon arrival my uncle had “lost it” in spite of having a huge Browning safe sitting in his living room.  His story ended up changing to “misplaced it but I’ll call you when it turns up” before I left. Spent the next 4 hours driving home empty handed and upset.

That was 10 years ago and I still don’t have the rifle.  In fact I haven’t spoken to my uncle since that visit.

Cherish that 1911 and be sure someone you trust puts it in the hands of the person you bequeath it unto.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 9:52:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for sharing..
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 10:46:55 AM EDT
[#10]
OP was pretty cool today.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 6:26:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 10:58:37 PM EDT
[#12]
My dad was in the Navy, WW2. Got back. Had a 1911 in his seabag. When they docked, he saw the SP's checking bags when they got off. He said he just wanted to be done with the whole thing. Went to the head and took it apart and put it in the trash bins.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:40:52 AM EDT
[#13]
That is awesome! I know you will cherish it forever!
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:01:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Always Keep it and pass it down the line with stories of your grandpa.  Op was cool as hell today.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:00:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Very cool OP.  Keep that in your family forever.

Some day (hopefully a long time from now) I’ll inherit my father’s 686 6” and my mother’s 65 4”.  I have a boatload of revolvers but these will always be special as I’d expect my favorite Gold Cup will be some day to my son.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 1:29:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Great story and clean it and go shoot it with factory ammunition. Change spring set out and keep original set. Maybe even get another barrel and put original up. Your grandfather would want you to shoot it. That's what he would do and want you to do as well.  I have my granddaddy 1911 that I bought for him 30 plus years ago. He shot it and carried it some. He also carried a Harrington Richardson 9 shot 22. Carried a 357 also. He was a good shot. We miss him  every day. He was a hard worker and would do anything for his family. He had a hard life but his family was everything to him. I bought a different slide and keep it clean.  Actually need to get more springs for it. Keep it in working condition.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 1:37:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for sharing.  Just got dusty in here.  

I've got my dad's first rifle, pistol, and my mom's pistol.  Took a couple of their grandkids out last week and shot dad's rifle.

Still have an M1 Carbine which is reported to have belonged to my grandfather too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top