Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2021 7:10:11 PM EDT
I purchased it new in 1975, shot it regularly for several years. By the mid-80’s I was heavily involved in .41 magnum S&W’s, and still am today. Sometime in the mid-80’s my younger brother talked me out of the 28, with the understanding that he’d never sell it. We live a few hours apart, I see him several times per year (Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc), the 28 would come up in discussion but we never went shooting together.

Last week I was visiting him and thru discussion found out he had never shot the 28 in 35+ years!!  He has other handguns, rifles, shotguns, but I think he just wanted it b/c it was from me. I had given him a couple of guns that belonged to our dad (who has passed), he said he wanted me to have the 28 back.

It is still in perfect condition!  Pinned barrel, recessed cylinder. I went to the range Friday and put a few cylinders full thru it. It has an awesome trigger! I had slicked up the trigger with just a little polishing before I gave it to him.

It’s good to have another N-frame in the safe!
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 7:38:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Mod 28 was the first revolver I ever bought. Still have that one, too.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 7:59:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Outstanding!

I have a 4" Highway Patrolman.  Pinned, recessed, a great handgun.

I do love my N Frames.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 8:35:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Same first sentence.  Sadly, I was a dum-dum, so can't say the same to the second part.  Regret it every day.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 8:44:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here, although mine was an AMC (IIRC) product with some... er... blemishes in the final product.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 12:15:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I always thought the model 28 was a lesser gun, and not worth owning when you already have a model 27.

My mind never changed until I had one in my hands. Last year mid covid guns.com listed a -2 for 600 dollars. At the time there were a number of others in the 900 to 1000 dollar range. Thinking it was a fluke and they would never honor the sale, I bought it anyway.

It turns out that not only was the gun mint in box, but it had the optional target grips. She has everything I prize in a classic gun, and none of the fluff I don't need. She is also every bit the equal of the model 27 functionality wise, and the bluing isn't too shabby either.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 8:59:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Last year mid covid guns.com listed a -2 for 600 dollars.
View Quote
That's a great deal on a beautiful gun, especially from that place. I'd never heard of that site so I went to check it out and their prices are insane!. They have used guns in "very good" condition (not even excellent) listed for more money then you can easily buy a brand new ones for! I'm not talking about out of production collector guns either. Used P365's and G19.3's for $800... Really?
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 11:03:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That's a great deal on a beautiful gun, especially from that place. I'd never heard of that site so I went to check it out and their prices are insane!. They have used guns in "very good" condition (not even excellent) listed for more money then you can easily buy a brand new ones for! I'm not talking about out of production collector guns either. Used P365's and G19.3's for $800... Really?
View Quote

Thanks.

To be fair to them... The prices didn't go full retard really, until well into Covid.

I bought an 8" L frame from them last year as well, for 600, and a pre lock Lew Horton 627 for 800. Now all L frames are a grand, and when a 627 shows up it's 14-1500.

I did order a model 17 from them a couple weeks back. The gun was a solid 98-99%, but the grips were scuffed. It was 499 plus tax. They had other model 17s for anywhere from 8 to 1200 bucks. I really don't understand their pricing scheme.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/9/2021 2:05:54 AM EDT
[#8]
JD:

You take beautiful photos! Are you a professional photographer?
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 10:15:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks.

To be fair to them... The prices didn't go full retard really, until well into Covid.

I bought an 8" L frame from them last year as well, for 600, and a pre lock Lew Horton 627 for 800. Now all L frames are a grand, and when a 627 shows up it's 14-1500.

I did order a model 17 from them a couple weeks back. The gun was a solid 98-99%, but the grips were scuffed. It was 499 plus tax. They had other model 17s for anywhere from 8 to 1200 bucks. I really don't understand their pricing scheme.
View Quote

Well they do seem to have the best selection of classic S&W's outside of auction sites. I really appreciate the older blued S&W's but unfortunately their prices have risen well beyond what they are worth to me so all I can do is appreciate beautiful pics of them like the ones you've posted. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 9:39:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I picked this one up a couple weeks ago.  Hope to shoot it soon
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 10:35:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
JD:

You take beautiful photos! Are you a professional photographer?
View Quote

I understand the hows of photography, but can take passable photos at best. I have snagged the photos from all the guns I have purchased off guns.com. Not as posting material, but rather so I can examine them closely when I have the gun in hand. I want to be sure I get the actual gun I have paid for. They have not cheated me yet in 6 or 7 guns.

It is however, easier to upload one of the snagged pics versus digging out my Nikon.

Attachment Attached File

Most of my stuff would look like this.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 10:06:49 AM EDT
[#12]
That’s great OP!

The 6” Model 28 was my first duty sidearm when I became a LEO back in the 70’s. I later switched to a 4” version as it was easier to carry. When the move to semi autos happened in the mid-80’s I gave the 4” to my dad (He still has it) and foolishly sold off the 6”.

Three years ago I stumbled on a nice 28-2 6” at the local gunshop for $449.50...I couldn’t get my wallet out fast enough and brought that baby home with me.…

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top