My Ruger Mk II Stubby (Page 5 of 9)
Page / 9
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 1:23:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 4:45:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 6:20:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Thinking I'm going to order a switchback for this.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 6:29:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HUCK70] [#4]
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 10:30:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 10:02:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I have been looking for a 22/45 for about a month and it appears there are none in my area!

Has anyone done this with a buckmaster?  I already have one of those sitting in the safe and barrels are fairly easy to source.  I know the right answer is always buy another gun as opposed to modifying one you have but I want to get the ball rolling on this project.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 10:07:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NoImpactNoIdea:  I have been looking for a 22/45 for about a month and it appears there are none in my area!

Has anyone done this with a buckmaster?  I already have one of those sitting in the safe and barrels are fairly easy to source.  I know the right answer is always buy another gun as opposed to modifying one you have but I want to get the ball rolling on this project.
View Quote

This is a boomerism.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 10:19:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NoImpactNoIdea] [#8]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

This is a boomerism.
View Quote

I’m far from a boomer and I meant more to add another gun to the collection since more is better but thanks for your non-technical answer in a tech forum.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 10:28:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By NoImpactNoIdea:

I’m far from a boomer and I meant more to add another gun to the collection since more is better but thanks for your non-technical answer in a tech forum.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  This is a boomerism.

You posted a boomerism in a tech forum, so...

Boomers grew up w/ guns that either came as is from a factory, or at most, were slightly modified military guns.

Savage pointed the way as early as the 1950's, but it took Thompson Contender to really get the ball rolling as a factory gun w/ easily interchangeable calibers.

You're posting on the largest website dedicated to the most flexible firearm on the planet, so the idea that you shouldn't modify an existing gun doesn't really fly here.  Have Dremel, I iz a gunsmith.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 11:06:21 PM EDT
[#10]

You posted a boomerism in a tech forum, so...

Boomers grew up w/ guns that either came as is from a factory, or at most, were slightly modified military guns.

Savage pointed the way as early as the 1950's, but it took Thompson Contender to really get the ball rolling as a factory gun w/ easily interchangeable calibers.

You're posting on the largest website dedicated to the most flexible firearm on the planet, so the idea that you shouldn't modify an existing gun doesn't really fly here.  Have Dremel, I iz a gunsmith.
View Quote

So do you have anything to add to the technical question asked or just talking still.  Sorry my post was a play on the Arfcom-ism of “get both” but apparently that went over your head.  Keep posting if you want but I’ll be waiting for someone with actual information about the topic and question asked.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 11:11:03 PM EDT
[#11]
There's no reason it shouldn't work with a Buckmark and worst case you buy a new barrel. Most sense to me would be to modify the new barrel unless you don't like the stock configuration.
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 9:01:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I have been looking for a 22/45 for about a month and it appears there are none in my area!

View Quote

I'd buy a takeoff barrel and send it to Morgan at class iii with some pics of what you're looking for. Should be a really easy job. Camper barrels are practically given away, lol.
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 4:36:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By BillythePoet:

I'd buy a takeoff barrel and send it to Morgan at class iii with some pics of what you're looking for. Should be a really easy job. Camper barrels are practically given away, lol.
View Quote

Morgan is my guy and has done great work for me in the past.  

The only issue that I see is where the 22/45 preferred length seems to be 1.75 inches the mounting point on the buckmark sticks out a little longer.  I’ll have to pull out a tape but even if it has to be longer it shouldn’t be much.
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 7:19:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NWRed] [#14]

Morgan is my guy and has done great work for me in the past.  

The only issue that I see is where the 22/45 preferred length seems to be 1.75 inches the mounting point on the buckmark sticks out a little longer.  I’ll have to pull out a tape but even if it has to be longer it shouldn’t be much.
View Quote

You can see where it'd step down to the threads/be chopped in this pic.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 1:01:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: seattlite] [#15]

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/17/2021 1:25:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Outrider:

Volquartsen sells them on eBay regularly. I think they buy pistols from Ruger and sell pretty much everything but the frame. You can get bolts for $30 and barreled/uppers for like $30-$60.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Outrider:
Originally Posted By MDStroup:

Where did you get a complete bolt for $30?

Volquartsen sells them on eBay regularly. I think they buy pistols from Ruger and sell pretty much everything but the frame. You can get bolts for $30 and barreled/uppers for like $30-$60.

I’d take a link on barreled uppers
@outrider
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 1:39:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:

I’d take a link on barreled uppers
@outrider
View Quote

@bradpierson26
https://volquartsen.com/clearance
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 1:01:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Finally got a barrel, mount, RMR, and sent the barrel off to Morgan at Class 3 Machine.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 1:31:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Nice
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 9:53:30 AM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

That turned out very nice.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 12:22:20 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

Looks good!
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 9:44:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Plumber576] [#22]
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 9:54:42 PM EDT
[#23]
That's awesome
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 10:41:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 11:35:10 AM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

Does it cycle well?  My first time out with my cut down camper whisper barrel, the gun didn't cycle all that well with a bunch of different types of ammo, SSC SV, Gemtech, Xperts and AA Subs.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 11:58:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By seattlite:

Does it cycle well?  My first time out with my cut down camper whisper barrel, the gun didn't cycle all that well with a bunch of different types of ammo, SSC SV, Gemtech, Xperts and AA Subs.
View Quote

I took it out and only put probably 100 rounds through it and only had one malfunction which I think was ammunition related.  It is louder than I thought it would be but I was also using bulk pack ammo, although I would have thought the barrel was short enough to keep it subsonic.  I have some gemtech ammo I’ll try next time I’m out there.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 12:01:24 PM EDT
[#27]

I took it out and only put probably 100 rounds through it and only had one malfunction which I think was ammunition related.  It is louder than I thought it would be but I was also using bulk pack ammo, although I would have thought the barrel was short enough to keep it subsonic.  I have some gemtech ammo I’ll try next time I’m out there.
View Quote

It's subsonic with that barrel length, just hard to make it quiet with a conventional can. I was also a little disappointed at how loud my stubby MKIV was.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 4:41:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Finally got a frame, well a whole gun. Now to go shoot it!
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 1:28:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: yamahawarrior89] [#29]

What length barrel did you go with?

I'd like the shortest length barrel but still be able to mount the front sight, just how you have it. Is it 3.2" or 3.3"? Seems 3.5" is just a tad long from what I've seen.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 10:56:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HUCK70] [#30]
It is 1.650” from the step down to the muzzle (the picture looks off, but it is not) It is 1.250 from the step down to the end of the threads. Face of the bolt to the end of the muzzle is 3.070”. I wanted to be able to use the front sight.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 11:10:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By NoImpactNoIdea:I took it out and only put probably 100 rounds through it and only had one malfunction which I think was ammunition related.  It is louder than I thought it would be but I was also using bulk pack ammo, although I would have thought the barrel was short enough to keep it subsonic.  I have some gemtech ammo I’ll try next time I’m out there.
View Quote
I have a number of extreme short barrel .22LRs.  A Ruger LCP II .22LR, a Phoenix HP22A, and my Ruger Stubby.  On all three, using subsonic "suppressor" ammo, like the AE Rimfire Suppressor or CCI Suppressor is noticeably quieter than either my go-to Fed Bulk Pak or CCI Standard. I have no idea why this is, as all ammo should be subsonic from those tiny barrels, but it's clearly there.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 11:16:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By ScottS:
I have a number of extreme short barrel .22LRs.  A Ruger LCP II .22LR, a Phoenix HP22A, and my Ruger Stubby.  On all three, using subsonic "suppressor" ammo, like the AE Rimfire Suppressor or CCI Suppressor is noticeably quieter than either my go-to Fed Bulk Pak or CCI Standard. I have no idea why this is, as all ammo should be subsonic from those tiny barrels, but it's clearly there.  
View Quote

Have you ever run them over a chrono. I bet the bulk is going faster by a bit even though it’s subsonic.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 12:18:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:Have you ever run them over a chrono. I bet the bulk is going faster by a bit even though it’s subsonic.
View Quote
I would imagine it is, but faster shouldn't matter with regard to noise until it hits supersonic, no?
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 12:34:46 PM EDT
[#34]
I would imagine it is, but faster shouldn't matter with regard to noise until it hits supersonic, no?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:Have you ever run them over a chrono. I bet the bulk is going faster by a bit even though it’s subsonic.

I've run into a similar conundrum with comparing noise from my bolt action 45acp and 44mag rifles. The .45 is remarkably quieter than the .44 loaded with subs. I've had people tell me the powder makes a big difference.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 12:50:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By ScottS:  I would imagine it is, but faster shouldn't matter with regard to noise until it hits supersonic, no?
View Quote

Volume of gas.  Gas is supersonic, nearly hypersonic, so the more gas, the more fast gas escapes the suppressor.

Why a subsonic 500 grn .450 SOCOM doesn't suppress very well.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 2:00:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Pressure and volume of powder make sense to me. Powder type definitely makes a difference as many 300 blackout guys find out. I remember reading something about Vihtavuori having a powder that is super quiet in 9mm subs.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 1:57:27 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

I have shot CCI\Gemtech 42gr Subsonic, CCI Standard 40gr and Federal "Automatch" 40gr bulk pack (all LRN) out of the same suppressors/same hosts at the same time and I would rank them in that order from quietest to loudest.

So saying one is "noticeably" quieter then the other is technically true because yes, I can hear a difference but from a practical POV, they are all very close in sound and the difference is minimal IMO. So much so that I won't spend extra $ to get the actual "subsonic" ammo anymore when the standard velocity stuff sounds 98% as good at a fraction of the cost.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 11:01:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Great thread! My stubby:

Link Posted: 10/18/2021 11:39:49 PM EDT
[#39]
What holster is that?
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 8:26:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NWRed] [#40]
What holster is that?
View Quote

@backbencher

blackdog , the magazine company, made mine.
current production version :
https://www.blackdogmachinellc.net/holster-for-the-ruger-mark-series.aspx

the tac-sol branded version is $31 on Amazon
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 11:09:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: yamahawarrior89] [#41]
Wrong thread
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 7:15:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks to Dave @ dwilsonmfg.com for turning this out to me super fast. When he posted a pic of the one he did for himself a few posts back I knew I wanted it. So I waited until he started taking in Ruger work again and here it is. I'm just waiting for the Volquartsen MK IV accurizing kit to be delivered and a RMR mount from D Lobos.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 8:14:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By emwen:
Thanks to Dave @ dwilsonmfg.com for turning this out to me super fast. When he posted a pic of the one he did for himself a few posts back I knew I wanted it. So I waited until he started taking in Ruger work again and here it is. I'm just waiting for the Volquartsen MK IV accurizing kit to be delivered and a RMR mount from D Lobos.
https://i.imgur.com/8r4HkTy.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/feZT6CG.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/Q2iMgs5.jpg
View Quote

So cool.  So very well done.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 11:10:39 PM EDT
[#44]
That's the ticket. I like the little extra length you get over the ones cut and threaded with standard threads.
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 12:20:18 AM EDT
[#45]
https://i.imgur.com/8r4HkTy.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/feZT6CG.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/Q2iMgs5.jpg
View Quote

Shiiiiiat that’s nice. Details?
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 9:50:08 AM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

That is super slick.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 12:09:11 AM EDT
[#47]
https://i.imgur.com/8r4HkTy.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/feZT6CG.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/Q2iMgs5.jp
View Quote
Really wanted to take on this project. Contacted [email protected] and he's no longer doing Ruger work.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 1:18:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Thanks for all the positive feedback. That really sucks that Dave isn’t doing any more of these. Maybe I was his last Ruger.  I’m loving this setup. Out of all the diff ammo I’ve fired the absolute quietest would have to be the CCI quiet-22. Just wish they would cycle but it’s all good.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 1:28:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Boosdady:
Really wanted to take on this project. Contacted [email protected] and he's no longer doing Ruger work.
View Quote

Good
That mother trucker needs to be working on my beltfed

For real, based on what other guys charge, I can’t imagine how it’s a good deal for him
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 1:40:16 AM EDT
[#50]
I think he’s posted the details of his work and I can’t even remember if he was the first. If I remember correctly he basically machined the Ruger barrel to directly thread into the can so any competent machinist can do it.
Page / 9
My Ruger Mk II Stubby (Page 5 of 9)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top