Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

My Ruger Mk II Stubby (Page 1 of 9)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 4/29/2020 10:15:17 PM EDT
So, I've been hot to build up a very specific MkII pistol, and the pieces finally came together.

First, I spotted this gem on Armslist for the ridiculous price of just $175:

Gun's in great shape, came with two mags, did the deed same day in the Home Depot parking lot in under 5 minutes.  How do I not take that deal?  I don't like skinny barrels, or those big, rubber "finger grips."  Well, neither was going to be a problem.  After searching around for a bit, I landed on a pair of Pachmayr Renegade Laminate wood grips.  Nice and slender.  Now for that barrel.  I sent it Dave Wilson for a little nip here and a little tuck there, and today I got this back:

Oh, that looks nice.  With a full-size thread protector, it almost looks factory.

Well, OK.  Maybe not.  I haven't decided on the front sight yet.  I'm thinking either changing the rear sight to an adjustable, and having the front drilled/tapped for the matching front, or just having a dovetail cut and adding a lower front sight to match the fixed rear.  I'm also leaning heavily to removing the rear sight altogether and adding a Burris Fastfire 3.  Decisions...

But, I know some are already asking "WTF did you do that?"  Well, 'cuz I always wanted this:

That's my Form 1 can on the front.  Looks pretty cool.  Here's my AAC Element II:

The Sig SRD22X can looks kind of funky here:

But the Oculus in the short mode looks pretty cool:

Haven't been able to shoot it unsuppressed yet.  Not sure the neighbors would appreciate that, but suppressed, it runs like a champ with AE Suppressor and Federal Bulk Pak.

Fun project, and I'll be interested in seeing how it runs without the can.  It's certainly a hoot in "quiet mode."
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 11:02:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe a cut down Mercury dime soldered to front for short radius sight.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 11:17:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool project, I'd skip the irons and go with a dovetail RDS mount
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 5:08:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Very cool! Any ideas where I can get a lower frame cheap?
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 6:10:03 AM EDT
[#4]
That’s cool...I have a Ruger standard (MK1?) I want to get chopped, it’s the 6” barrel, I don’t want to take it down as far as you did though...maybe down to 4”.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:20:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Damn. Looks like it doesn't have a barrel at all.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 11:56:25 AM EDT
[#6]

AAC Element II.  Fed Bulk Pak 36gr

Don't tell my wife.  She's in the family room, and what she doesn't know/can't hear, can't hurt me.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 9:35:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ScottS:
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEPSae6nr_8

AAC Element II.  Fed Bulk Pak 36gr

Don't tell my wife.  She's in the family room, and what she doesn't know/can't hear, can't hurt me.
View Quote

Nice. I’d do a red dot sight. Sight radius is gonna suck if you put a front sight on. I’d be interested in seeing what kind of groups you could get with it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 9:58:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I like it. What length does the barrel measure? My factory 4" MKII looks about 3" longer than yours. I happen to have the same AAC too. It's a great suppressor. Checkout Farrowtech for a low profile dot mount.  I don't own one, but it looks pretty nice.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 10:31:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Bashby:

Nice. I’d do a red dot sight. Sight radius is gonna suck if you put a front sight on. I’d be interested in seeing what kind of groups you could get with it.
View Quote
I'll probably go with a red dot.  To be honest, I'd just put the front sight on it so it looks...right.  Seems asymmetrical somehow without a front sight.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 10:34:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By golfcarz:
I like it. What length does the barrel measure? My factory 4" MKII looks about 3" longer than yours. I happen to have the same AAC too. It's a great suppressor. Checkout Farrowtech for a low profile dot mount.  I don't own one, but it looks pretty nice.
View Quote

I think it's right at 2".  I'll drop a rod down the barrel tomorrow and measure it "the BATFE way."  And that's the mount I'm looking at. It's one of the few mounts that doesn't require a second screw, which my receiver isn't drilled for.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 11:13:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OTTOSEAR] [#11]
Very 1980's.

I have a 3.5 inch Buckmark, Tornado did years ago.
It has a clocked 3 lug for a Checkmate...

Similar look with the can.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 10:55:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I love that!

Is there enough barrel to stabilize the bullet?

I agree about the RDS, they're fun on .22s

If you really wanted a front sight, I wonder how hard it would be to have a threaded barrel cut down to say ½" sort of like a spacer between the gun and the can- front sight would already be there.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 11:01:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Awesome! Looks integral but you can still clean the can and move them around.

I wanna see it with a bowers mini can
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 11:16:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Mainsail:
I love that!

Is there enough barrel to stabilize the bullet?

I agree about the RDS, they're fun on .22s 

If you really wanted a front sight, I wonder how hard it would be to have a threaded barrel cut down to say ½" sort of like a spacer between the gun and the can- front sight would already be there.
View Quote

The gun is at the 'smith to get drilled/tapped for a front sight.  Probably more for looks than anything else.  The freakin' gunsmith is turning a simple drill/tap into a major hassle, but that's another story.  When I get it back, hopefully today, I'll try it out on paper to see. I'll also drop a rod down the barrel to see just exactly how much barrel I have.  So far, with the can on, I'm smacking the tree you see in the video.  I picked up one of the RDS mounts that replaces the rear sight without need for a second screw. (God forbid I have to have this guy d/t a second hole.)  When it comes in, I'll probably mount a FF3 and see how tight of a group I can shoot.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:39:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Scott,
You could also try the Aimtech Semi-Auto Pistol Scope Mount Ruger MK I/II. It replaces a grip panel.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 4:04:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NWRed] [#16]
Are you using Dave Wilson for the front sight threading also? I see on the website link you posted they offered it for $15 extra.

ETA: his website says the Ruger MK4 they have pictured has a 2.1" barrel. That'd make EVERYTHING subsonic
Ballistics by the inch velocities
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 5:57:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ScottS] [#17]
Originally Posted By NWRed:
Are you using Dave Wilson for the front sight threading also? I see on the website link you posted they offered it for $15 extra. 

ETA: his website says the Ruger MK4 they have pictured has a 2.1" barrel. That'd make EVERYTHING subsonic 
Ballistics by the inch velocities 
View Quote
I absolutely should have used Dave to drill/tap for my front sight.  At the time, it wasn't offered as an option on the website. I should have asked. One-stop shopping is always best.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 6:24:26 PM EDT
[#18]
OK, did a "BATFE official" barrel measurement.  I closed the bolt and dropped a cleaning rod down to the bolt face and marked the rod at the muzzle.

Barrel:  2.061"

I compared it to my Ruger LCP II 22 (2.81") and my Hi-Standard Sentinel revolver (2.36")

Got my receiver back, drilled and tapped for the front sight.

Yeah, yeah.  It's too tall for the rear sight.  One thing at a time.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 8:11:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Looks good. You may or may not care about the partial name and address showing in your pic.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 9:21:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Bashby:
Looks good. You may or may not care about the partial name and address showing in your pic.
View Quote

It's my latest batch of blank fingerprint cards from ATF.  I think Marlon's good with it.  My info's pretty much obscured (and obscure!)
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 1:45:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ScottS] [#21]
OK, finally got a chance (albeit brief) to put it on paper for some kind of group.

Just under 10 yards, American Eagle Suppressor .45gr Solids.  This stuff:

Attachment Attached File

So, as you can see from the pic above, the front sight (which I'm liking more and more) is too freakin' high for the rear, so I'm aiming at a "point" way above on the target.  Offhand.  Enough excuses.

String one, 10 rounds.

Attachment Attached File

Not bad for what I was working with, sight-wise.  Second string, 10 rounds Fed Bulk Pak 36 gr CPHP.  This stuff:

Attachment Attached File

Not surprisingly, it stays subsonic. I had much less of a "spot" to aim at on this one, and I ended up stringing the group as I searched for a hold-over.  The two far bottom rounds are leftovers from something else.

Attachment Attached File

So far, pretty damn happy.  Now I need to get a real rear sight, or a red dot, and see what I can do for real accuracy.  But it looks like I'm not throwing them willy-nilly all over the target.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 3:22:03 PM EDT
[#22]
pretty cool!

i would have left barrel at 4, for "muh velocitays!" and went "reflex style" but your coin your rules!...

have you came up wiht a way to index/install/retain a front sight on end of (f1) can?

thanks for sharing though!!!

Link Posted: 5/3/2020 3:49:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ScottS] [#23]
Originally Posted By saltydecimator:
pretty cool! 

i would have left barrel at 4, for "muh velocitays!" and went "reflex style" but your coin your rules!... 

have you came up wiht a way to index/install/retain a front sight on end of (f1) can?

thanks for sharing though!!!

View Quote

It was a skinny barrel, so a skinny barrel cut and threaded at 4" would be gay as a football bat.  Plus, I was going for the suppressor-only look.  Love the result.

I'm staying with sights on the receiver.  I'll swap the rear sight out for a factory adjustable, and the more I see the plain front on there, the more I like it.  I'm still thinking about a red-dot in a mount that slides into the dovetail.  

This one:

Ruger MKII/III/IV Low Profile Red Dot Mount

I might play with that for a while before I finally decide on which way to go.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 10:34:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: saltydecimator] [#24]
oh im not trying to change your plan, i am pondering doin an integral buckmark build, but im failing in how to come up with front sight to take advantage of that suhweet sweet sight radius...

and yes, 4" tapered be lame but if it was hidden by the silencer..... reflex style ya?  i wonder if the 4" taper even have enough meat for 1/2 threads though...

have you seen these take offs from volquartesn or whoever?  be a bad ass option to hack and grind on as well

https://gun.deals/product/factory-ruger-mk-iv-upper-25

i dont agree with the mk4 hype, field stripping is not that hard on the priors....
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 11:57:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Field stripping on the Mk 1 - 3 isn't hard @ all.  It's reassembly that's the difficulty.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 12:38:20 AM EDT
[#26]
past few times ive had my 2 apaart i got it back tiogether first try... bolt in reciver, tip forward, pull trigger, stick in hammer strut assy or whatever its called, pivot into place... wham bam!

needlessly complex? maybe!!!!
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 12:48:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By saltydecimator:  past few times ive had my 2 apaart i got it back tiogether first try... bolt in reciver, tip forward, pull trigger, stick in hammer strut assy or whatever its called, pivot into place... wham bam!

needlessly complex? maybe!!!!
View Quote

It's not that bad if you know what you're doing, and there's plenty of YouTube videos these days.

Had a buddy whose apartment caught fire.  I picked up all his guns, Da came over, and we set about stripping them and reoiling them lest they rust.

Da popped the carbine apart in about .87 seconds, b/c he used to drill in JROTC w/ rifles.

I drew the Ruger Mk 2, and I had no idea.  I punched out every pin I could see, and still couldn't get that thing apart until I finally looked @ the backstrap...  
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 12:33:43 PM EDT
[#28]
da?

oh man thats rough!!!  hahaha i not trying to brag, or insult i guess i should be happy folks (who were annoyed with the mk 3 and belows takedown) are being allowed in, and its making the old ones cheaper (circa 6-16 months ago)...

i just wish the aftermarket would key in on the grip frame being unserialized and get us some giant mags (cp33 anyone?) shoehorned in there!!
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 8:49:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Xtreme99LS1] [#29]
With the blessing of the OP, here is my ruger mk1 that I chopped up... I got a hell of a deal on it, $150 and I already have a mark2 that I had threaded (just had enough barrel cut for the threads) , so the mark 1 was my experiment on chopping it up and not feeling bad...
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Burris fastfire 3, and aac element 2....
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 9:00:12 PM EDT
[#30]
i like it
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 9:34:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Xtreme99LS1:
With the blessing of the OP, here is my ruger mk1 that I chopped up... I got a hell of a deal on it, $150 and I already have a mark2 that I had threaded (just had enough barrel cut for the threads) , so the mark 1 was my experiment on chopping it up and not feeling bad...
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/339469/20200126_131715_jpg-1401447.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/339469/20200411_160342_jpg-1401449.JPG
Burris fastfire 3, and aac element 2.... 
View Quote

Very nice!  It almost looks like you could thread the old barrel on as a thread protector.

What are you using as a mount for the FF?
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 9:42:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By discworld717:
Very cool! Any ideas where I can get a lower frame cheap?
View Quote

Check out Wirthwein guns. They usually have a few.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 9:43:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Mainsail:
I love that!

Is there enough barrel to stabilize the bullet?

I agree about the RDS, they're fun on .22s

If you really wanted a front sight, I wonder how hard it would be to have a threaded barrel cut down to say " sort of like a spacer between the gun and the can- front sight would already be there.
View Quote

It depends. They usually work great, but there is the rare bird that will key hole from time to time and you have to play around with types/brands of ammo to find something that it likes.

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 10:59:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks unclemoak!

Link Posted: 5/5/2020 5:04:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By ScottS:

Very nice!  It almost looks like you could thread the old barrel on as a thread protector.

What are you using as a mount for the FF?
View Quote

Yea I'm wondering that myself, not sure if its possible,  but I was thinking the same thing... I'm using the burris mount for the fastfire 3, just knock out the rear site, you will need your optic and the mount in order for it to mount in place of the rear site...
https://www.burrisoptics.com/mounting-systems/mounts-and-bases/fastfire-mounts
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 10:31:59 AM EDT
[#36]
What velocity are you guys getting from these short barrels?
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 10:51:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Xtreme99LS1:
With the blessing of the OP, here is my ruger mk1 that I chopped up... I got a hell of a deal on it, $150 and I already have a mark2 that I had threaded (just had enough barrel cut for the threads) , so the mark 1 was my experiment on chopping it up and not feeling bad...
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/339469/20200126_131715_jpg-1401447.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/339469/20200411_160342_jpg-1401449.JPG
Burris fastfire 3, and aac element 2.... 
View Quote

Dear God I hope that wasn't a Red Eagle.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 11:08:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By spearogun:
What velocity are you guys getting from these short barrels?
View Quote

It greatly depends on what ammo is used.

Standard bulk pack yields about

Aguila Super Colibri's yields about

As for moving the front sight, the standard front sight can be cut down in height, shortened front to back, and moved back to the scope mount hole on the receiver.

This one still needs a little trimming to the front to be flush with the front of the receiver.

Link Posted: 5/5/2020 11:32:05 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm liking this thread more and more.  Thanks, OP.  

This is really great info, especially the chrono.

I had to drill/tap for the front sight, because my MkII was old enough that there were no screw holes on the top.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 12:45:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By ScottS:
I'm liking this thread more and more.  Thanks, OP.  

This is really great info, especially the chrono.

I had to drill/tap for the front sight, because my MkII was old enough that there were no screw holes on the top.
View Quote

That's one route to go. Otherwise, a 6-48 shotgun bead works too.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 4:08:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By unclemoak:

That's one route to go. Otherwise, a 6-48 shotgun bead works too.
View Quote

I'm confused.  Are you saying drill/tap a 6-48 hole and use a bead as a front sight?  Don't think I'd like the looks of that.

I went with the standard 6-40 hole, so I can use any Ruger compatible front sight.  We'll see what matches up when I get the new rear.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 5:50:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By ScottS:

I'm confused.  Are you saying drill/tap a 6-48 hole and use a bead as a front sight?  Don't think I'd like the looks of that.

I went with the standard 6-40 hole, so I can use any Ruger compatible front sight.  We'll see what matches up when I get the new rear.
View Quote

You could do either. I have fixed rear sight on our shop gun, so I opted for a shotgun bead instead of the Ruger sight. The Ruger screws are 6-48 from what I've seen. Haven't seen on yet in 6-40, but I suppose it's possible.

Link Posted: 5/5/2020 5:59:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By unclemoak:

You could do either. I have fixed rear sight on our shop gun, so I opted for a shotgun bead instead of the Ruger sight. The Ruger screws are 6-48 from what I've seen. Haven't seen on yet in 6-40, but I suppose it's possible.

https://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e398/unclemoak/Photo%20May%2005%204%2045%2000%20PM.jpg

https://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e398/unclemoak/Photo%20May%2005%204%2045%2017%20PM.jpg
View Quote

I'm not sure on the Mk IV, but according to Ruger the Mk II/III front sights are 6-40.  And the after market sights I have are the same.

By the way, I think the fact you have enough of these to have a "shop gun" is pretty cool.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 7:27:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Next step in the on-going project: factory adjustable rear sight.

Attachment Attached File

And a fiber-optic front sight, just to be fancy.

Attachment Attached File

Gotta tell you, this part was a stone bitch.  I had to hacksaw out the factory fixed rear, then spend a good 20 minutes solid of Kriol/steel wool to clean up the dovetail.  Rusty looking stuff in there.  Then the factory sight as no fun to pound in.  Went in with light tapping to the 1/2 way point, then got obstinate.  Because the reciever is round, I couldn't use either of my sight pushers, and it wants to "roll" in the vice when you're banging on the sight.  I was paranoid about squeezing the receiver too tightly in the vise, afraid I was going to "egg" the receiver.  That would have been a quick end to this project.  But, with perseverance, a brass punch, and a BFH, I was able to get it in.

Can't wait to get it out to shoot it and see how POI/POA come out, hopefully tomorrow!
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 7:25:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Any update on how well it functioned? I have been thinking of this exact setup for and old mk ii I have, it would be great to hear if it keyholes or works without a suppressor.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 7:40:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Rrr72:
Any update on how well it functioned? I have been thinking of this exact setup for and old mk ii I have, it would be great to hear if it keyholes or works without a suppressor.
View Quote

Yeah, I finally got it out to the range to shoot unsuppressed.  It ran 100% on Federal Bulk Pak through about 10 magazines.  The Federal AE Rimfire Suppressor 22 LR was less reliable, but I only had two mags of that, so it's too small of a sample to judge the AE yet.  

Both ran 100% suppressed.

There was no evidence of keyholing.  At ~12 yards, off-hand, I had a giant group I could cover with the palm of my hand.  Not a bullseye group, but bad for me at the end of the session, off-hand, with the available sights.  Elevation was perfect, but the group was centered 3-4" left.  I figured I was going to have to drift the rear sight some more, but when I looked closely, the windage adjustment on the sight was all the way left.  I re-centered the windage and I'm eager to get back out.

TL;DR: no keyholing.  Good grouping.  Very happy user.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 4:22:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Sounds good, I think I have my new project to get started on.
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 11:00:30 PM EDT
[#48]
I wonder if anyone has shortened a target bull barrel and made it just long enough to where they can mount the normal front sight on the barrel.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 11:31:47 PM EDT
[#49]
I finally found a MKII 22/45 with a tapered barrel to do this to. I will use this thread to state for the 6,856th time that it is silly there aren't aftermarket lowers available. I have a pile of 22/45's now and need to get them all outfitted. One competiton red dot style and then the rest chopped and threaded.

Originally Posted By spearogun:
I wonder if anyone has shortened a target bull barrel and made it just long enough to where they can mount the normal front sight on the barrel.
View Quote

Several people have done so. I can't remember the shortest factory configuration but it was damn near what you are describing.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 7:45:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ScottS] [#50]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
I finally found a MKII 22/45 with a tapered barrel to do this to. I will use this thread to state for the 6,856th time that it is silly there aren't aftermarket lowers available. I have a pile of 22/45's now and need to get them all outfitted. One competiton red dot style and then the rest chopped and threaded. 
View Quote
Well, there are.  Volquartsen makes some. They're just 2-3x the price of an actual, complete new gun.

Wirthwein Guns is an excellent dealer that has lowers from time to time, and if you regulary watch the seller "Gunbuster" or "Gunbuster NE" on Gunbroker, they occassionally have Mk II or Mk III "parts kits" (basically a gun with the receiver destroyed) that include the lower, etc.  

I had wanted to do this for a while, but was putting it off until I found a reasonably priced "donor" gun; as I said in the OP, I bought a very-good Mk II for the obscene price of $175 on Armslist, and the race was on...

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
My Ruger Mk II Stubby (Page 1 of 9)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top