Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/21/2020 3:57:43 AM EDT
I've seen this poor model 28 languishing at my local pawnshop for about a month now, and the more I looked at it the more I knew it needed to come home with me. It's a 28-2 and it's seen better days, I paid $350 OTD. It's my first N frame, and man y'all weren't joking when you said this thing is a tank! Let's dive into the pictures and see how much has gone wrong.

Here she is! The original stocks look like they have been worked over a beaver, they aren't salvageable and I'm not worried about it I'll put something else on and not worry about it. The metal looks OK, lots of surface freckling that I suspect might be able to be taken care of with some gentle steel wool polishing. The case hardening on the trigger and hammer look pretty good and the trigger is sweet as can be. The thumb latch and nut are missing, I picked a replacement up for $10 so it shouldn't be an issue besides a minor annoyance for now.

Here's the other side. I'm really into the gold fill in the rollmarks, it's very 70's and adds to the retro vibe of the gun and I'll be saving it if possible. I'm debating refinish, but it will depend on how much rust I find going through and how well it cleans up. I'm thinking there will be strong chance it will stay with the original blue.

This thing doesn't seem to have been shot a lot, at least recently. Lots of dirt and lint build up all over looking like this has been stored somewhere a lot and not shot a ton as I found no power residue at all. There's no endshake and lockup is super tight. The original rear sight blade is rusty and pitted so I ordered a white outline replacement which is what I like.

The front and rear serrations are holding a lot of rust, which isn't all that rare in my experience. Also, this gun must have been stored on a magnet or something because the entire thing is ferociously magnetic. Springs, screws, all of it. Found out when it sucked up a screw sitting on the workbench when I first set it down. I think this is a first for me but shouldn't negatively impact anything.

Ahhh here's the good stuff. The rust doesn't look to be that heavy, being as the heaviest seems to be under the stocks I might hit it with some fine sandpaper and slap some cold blue over top. There's not a lot of collector value here so I don't really care about the cold blue coming out to play.

I got a better picture of this side of the frame, the rust isn't inspiring but it isn't too bad either. I should be able to clean this up enough to keep it in good shape and not have to refinish.

That's all for now, tomorrow I'm going to do a detail strip and clean to see what I can find and see who has been messing around in there already as the side plate screws are a little buggered.

Link Posted: 4/21/2020 6:48:14 AM EDT
[#1]
There's not much middle ground. You either bust off the rust and get an inexpensive set of grips from eBay (original 1970s magnas, Thai repros, Altamont magnas, etc), or completely strip off the gold fill and bluing, sand and polish, make it a refinish project, and get a nicer set of grips to match.

Personally I would go route #1 unless you're dying to learn how to refinish a revolver. Don't pay someone to refinish such a common pistol.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 7:15:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Great score.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 7:26:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's not much middle ground. You either bust off the rust and get an inexpensive set of grips from eBay (original 1970s magnas, Thai repros, Altamont magnas, etc), or completely strip off the gold fill and bluing, sand and polish, make it a refinish project, and get a nicer set of grips to match.

Personally I would go route #1 unless you're dying to learn how to refinish a revolver. Don't pay someone to refinish such a common pistol.
View Quote
This.

You have a rough around the edges vintage Smith you can customize and not feel bad about, OP.  That's incredibly lucky.  Clean it and dress it up, and enjoy a lifetime of shooting what other people just keep in their safe.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 7:41:40 AM EDT
[#4]
set the sandpaper aside,just don't consider it.

With projects like this always start with the most mild attack.

I would soak it in oil and start ribbing with a stiff cloth like denim . you might be surprised at how well it cleans up , There will still be some pits left behind and rust will bloom if given a chance so keep some oil on it and carefully wipe it down if somebody gets their mits on it.

Some of the heavier rust under the grips might clean better with a bit of fine steel or bronze wool with oil but I wouldn't go that route anywhere that will show.

This gun is somewhat nasty in a sad way but you got a decent deal on it . A refinished gun is hardly ever right , the only time I would consider a major re blue or re finish is when the gun in question has huge sentimental value.

Link Posted: 4/21/2020 8:01:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I would soak it in oil and start ribbing with a stiff cloth like denim . you might be surprised at how well it cleans up , There will still be some pits left behind and rust will bloom if given a chance so keep some oil on it and carefully wipe it down if somebody gets their mits on it.

Some of the heavier rust under the grips might clean better with a bit of fine steel or bronze wool with oil but I wouldn't go that route anywhere that will show.

This gun is somewhat nasty in a sad way but you got a decent deal on it . A refinished gun is hardly ever right , the only time I would consider a major re blue or re finish is when the gun in question has huge sentimental value.

View Quote

NH’s advice totally.

Rub the rust off and oil it.  It looks fine. The grips are fine as is.  You seem to have no idea how chewed grips get if used by a cop.  These are barely used.  This is just poor storage freckling.  Looks like a fisherman’s bear protection.  History of the gun.  Clean, oil, and re-photo it.

Cheese cloth and oil will de-rust it.   Oiling will surprise you as to sudden good looks.

Skip the cold blue.  Splotchy mess is all it ever makes.  It don’t need re-finished.  Most of the dry of oil finish sits there waiting for your oil.

As is, its a nice used gun, the way you got it at a steal and needs no explanation.

With your re-finishing or cold blue or other experiments, it would be a crap looking Bubba job that you messed up obvious to anyone.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 8:07:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Nickel that Gat!  Some ivory grips!
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 9:04:20 AM EDT
[#7]
My vote is like the others. Oil it up, use rough cloth to rub off the rust. Leave it alone after that. It will look great.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 9:28:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Clean it, maintain it, and shoot the hell out of it.  A revolver like that with honest wear is a thing of beauty.

Link Posted: 4/21/2020 11:45:39 AM EDT
[#9]
You guys are acting like this thing is a Civil War relic battlefield dig up piece!

That gun is in great shape for the price.

I swear it seems like most S&W enthusiasts act like if the gun isn't 100% in the factory box with the receipt its a complete POS!

News flash! Some people actually carried and shot their handguns in the olden days!

They may have even neglected them a bit over the years resulting in some rust and pitting.

I would be ecstatic to pick up that revolver for $350 in today's market.

Sure it's not a museum piece, but it represents one of the finest handguns ever to come off the S&W assembly line.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 12:14:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I agree with Big Hunt on this. If I found that model 28 locally for 350 I'd probably sprain something jerking my wallet out so fast. Just me but I'd give her a good cleaning and then enjoy many happy range trips, I'd bet it shoots great.

Or, I'll give you your money back plus 50 bucks right now.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 12:40:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 12:58:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Here's today's update, things are looking very good!

I don't have before pictures of the internals, but there was a lot of dust and debris built up inside with what looked like some old grease. Pretty easy to wipe down and clean up thankfully. More good news, the side plate is still very tight but drops free after some palm spanking and patience. Also, it doesn't look like anybody has tried to "improve" the trigger by polishing through the case hardening and it's still completely intact on the hammer and trigger. I have found more than a few K frames that have needed hammer replacements from this happening unfortunately.

The rust on the frame looked nasty, but was a pussy cat to remove. Those following will be relieved to know that the sandpaper stayed put away. The side plate had a very gentle brushing of steel wool that knocked down the big spots of rust.

Same for this side. There's still freckling and I'll have to keep an eye on it to make sure nothing more blooms, it will never be collector grade (obviously) but it's cleaning up a lot better than I hoped for!

Here's the left side after a long wipe down session with some oil and a rag, a large improvement and already better than I was hoping for.

And the other side, which also cleaned up very nicely. I didn't take pictures of the trigger guard area but the rust cleaned up pretty good with one spot that his become minority pitted. The gold fill is tough stuff and didn't seem to come off at all, as stated earlier I like it and it is staying.

This is as far as I am going to with this project. The camo Pachmayrs are ugly as sin and I love them to pieces, the pawn shop had them and I knew they had to go on this gun. They aren't nearly as pretty as S&W wood stocks, but are very comfortable and practical since they will keep the frame from coming in contact with skin oil and rusting any further, I'll just pull the grips once and a while to make sure everything is looking good.

I thought this gun was going to need a lot more TLC, but it was a surprising gem with just a little dust. A new rear sight blade and thumbpiece will be the only further changes. I'll keep an eye out for a new set of stocks, but they would be just to have around a take pictures with as I plan on shooting with the rubber grips primarily.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 1:15:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

A model 28 has been on my "own forever" list for a long time, and I finally got a good deal on one. I would consider refinishing but I wanted to get a full assessment of the condition before proceeding down any one path, I just wanted to share that it was an option I was considering.

Quoted:
Great score.

Thanks! Not my first score from this shop, last one was a 2003 USP 9mm for $340.

Quoted:

You have a rough around the edges vintage Smith you can customize and not feel bad about, OP.  That's incredibly lucky.  Clean it and dress it up, and enjoy a lifetime of shooting what other people just keep in their safe.

Thanks! I don't think I will really "customize" it, but a shooter grade gun really puts my at ease and it's nice to have a "beater".

Quoted:

The rust was much looser than I anticipated, and I always start with gentle and work my way up. I didn't need anything heavier than steel wool and I think it cleaned up nicely, thanks for your input!

Quoted:

NH’s advice totally.

Rub the rust off and oil it.  It looks fine. The grips are fine as is.  You seem to have no idea how chewed grips get if used by a cop.  These are barely used.  This is just poor storage freckling.  Looks like a fisherman’s bear protection.  History of the gun.  Clean, oil, and re-photo it.

Cheese cloth and oil will de-rust it.   Oiling will surprise you as to sudden good looks.

Skip the cold blue.  Splotchy mess is all it ever makes.  It don’t need re-finished.  Most of the dry of oil finish sits there waiting for your oil.

As is, its a nice used gun, the way you got it at a steal and needs no explanation.

With your re-finishing or cold blue or other experiments, it would be a crap looking Bubba job that you messed up obvious to anyone.

I'll disagree about the grips, I am familiar with what worn grips looks like and these have seen a hard life with cracks starting to form and wood starting to splinter and leave slivers in my hands. I don't think my pictures did it real justice as there is a lot of wood missing. I'll keep them around for sure, but will buy a replacement set of stocks eventually.

You were absolutely right about the oiling, it really made a big improvement!

Quoted:
Nickel that Gat!  Some ivory grips!

Now we're talking! I'll get the dremel out and do some custom smithing as well, bound to increase the value!

Quoted:
You guys are acting like this thing is a Civil War relic battlefield dig up piece!

That gun is in great shape for the price.

I swear it seems like most S&W enthusiasts act like if the gun isn't 100% in the factory box with the receipt its a complete POS!

News flash! Some people actually carried and shot their handguns in the olden days!

They may have even neglected them a bit over the years resulting in some rust and pitting.

I would be ecstatic to pick up that revolver for $350 in today's market.

Sure it's not a museum piece, but it represents one of the finest handguns ever to come off the S&W assembly line.

Thanks! I like a gun with honest wear and I don't give a hoot about everything being exactly as it came out of the factory. I was looking for a shooter grade gun and I got one.

Quoted:
I agree with Big Hunt on this. If I found that model 28 locally for 350 I'd probably sprain something jerking my wallet out so fast. Just me but I'd give her a good cleaning and then enjoy many happy range trips, I'd bet it shoots great.

Or, I'll give you your money back plus 50 bucks right now.

$50! Golly mister, that's enough to keep my in corn dogs for months! Thanks for your generous offer, but I think this one will be sticking around for a while.

Quoted:
You can also try a pink rubber eraser to get some of the light rust off.  I find it works well on my not so stainless knives.

I haven't heard this trick, I'll have to try it sometime.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 2:43:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice buy.

I’d buy ten if I could find them in that shape for that price.  I paid $400 for one in the same shape last year and considered it a steal
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 5:47:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Yup, great buy. Ive got a elpasso saddlery threepersons holster for a gun just like that when i find it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 6:54:26 PM EDT
[#16]
You got a very good deal on that 28.
Cleaned up really nice.

Love mine.

My .02, it needs a set of original stocks on it.

Link Posted: 4/21/2020 7:17:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Clean it, maintain it, and shoot the hell out of it.  A revolver like that with honest wear is a thing of beauty.

View Quote

Agreed clean as best you can without going to extremes then shoot it until
You wear it out. Most
Likely it will be your grandchild
Or great grandchildren that wear it out
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 7:20:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Is the Cylinder recessed?    

Link Posted: 4/21/2020 7:32:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Cleaned up really nice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Cleaned up really nice.

I agree, pleasantly surprised.

Quoted:
My .02, it needs a set of original stocks on it.

I agree, I'm on the look out for some but not in a rush to pay a bunch of money for the first ones available.

Quoted:
Is the Cylinder recessed?    

It is, serial number puts it at 1975 if I am reading the chart correctly.

Link Posted: 4/21/2020 8:17:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Oh, Wow, is that finish nice.  A nice working gun.

Dry looks odd.  Oil brings out the black in bluing. Nice work. I am impressed.

I see the grips rear edging chipping when looking for it.  Glad you like the camo things.  I woulda probably reshaped the wood and refinished them.  Look for the pencil three digit numbers inside each panel.

As an aside, I have a 6” 28 I bought 50 years ago along with a Lawrence flap sheepskin lined Calvary holster.  The gun looks like new.

It was only shot with Keith’s .357/158/2400 load. It may look new, but is so gas cut you can stick a mechanical lead pencil up in the slot.  It was shot so much when I was younger that a trip to S&W replaced every small part, hammer, trigger, and on and on.  Like new.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 9:27:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Yes, a keeper. Enough wear to not be afraid to shoot it and affect value. Good that the rust was only superficial. The ‘if it was mine’ opinion would only change the grips to black Pachmayrs. Always liked the satin blue utility finish to hide smudge marks from handling.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:11:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Those grips go with that gun , it looks great . I have a 28 about the same age I got a deal on at a show 10 yr ago . was looking at tables and saw a ex cond for 275 I jumped on it its also a 4 in no box .
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:13:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Those grips go with that gun , it looks great . I have a 28 about the same age I got a deal on at a show 10 yr ago . was looking at tables and saw a ex cond for 275 I jumped on it its also a 4 in no box .
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 11:40:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Great looking gun. I love the 28.

Threads like these get my heart pounding.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 12:54:37 PM EDT
[#25]
What a great thread! Back in the mid-80s when I was in my teens I used to go to a pawn shop that was at the end of the street I lived on. They always seemed to have at least one Model 28 in the case and I can remember a couple with the exact same markings as the OPs. Too bad I was too young to buy handguns in those days.

Also, that gun in that exact condition in a pawn shop around here would be marked $700.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 8:45:36 PM EDT
[#26]
This is going to be the last update for a while because I'm not sure there is much else to do. Here it is all cleaned up and waxed with a new thumblatch. I put the original stocks on (which aren't serial numbered to the gun, so no big loss) so the purists can appreciate it a little better than the camo rubber things. I will eventually pick up some better condition magnas, but otherwise I'm all done with this one.

Total cost break down:
Gun - $350
New sight blade - $12
New thumblatch - $10
$372 for this 28-2 as it sits.

Link Posted: 4/25/2020 9:22:18 PM EDT
[#27]
I would have bought that in a heartbeat
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 7:32:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Very nice revolver with honest wear. I personally like the Pachmayrs (though not the camo ones) as I feel they are still "period correct".
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 8:01:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Ha! those pack's are so ugly they are cool.
I personally don't get excited over the S&W magmas (or whatever they call them) because they don't fit me. I don't throw them out but they are not on my guns.

All my guns are shooters and Houge grips seem to match up with my hands fairly well so that is what I mostly run.

Now from a geometry standpoint L and K frames have a slightly better trigger but I really want a 28 but I never seem to see any in my area priced anything like what the OP found

Cleaned up well , keep popping off those Packmeyers to keep after the future blooms!
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 8:10:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would have, too. But didn't the OP say it languished in the shop for a month? People these days don't know a good thing when they see it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 8:36:07 AM EDT
[#31]
I never find deals like that.  In my area that would have been a $500.00 plus revolver.  

I'd buy some Altamont Classic Panel grips and start putting rounds through it.  Don't have to worry about scuffing it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 8:48:37 AM EDT
[#32]
You did good!
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 9:51:31 AM EDT
[#33]
A 4inch M28 just looks right with a set of N frame magnas like you now have. I find them to be very uncomfortable though, when shooting magnums. They do not fill the hand well enough and the revolver jumps a lot during recoil. I ended up getting a set of smooth coke profile targets in toasted maple from John Culina and I am much happier now.

OP: If you have issues like I did when shooting, you might see if you can get a Tyler T grip for it. Would keep the classic look and still fill your hand better.

Link Posted: 4/28/2020 9:59:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Back in the 80s and 90s, many small gun shops had a box full of similar grips, trade-ins from customers buying Pachmayrs.  Those days are long gone.

Once, I picked up a set of the camo Pachmayrs or $5 or so, trying to find something to make a Model 29 work for me.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:51:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
A 4inch M28 just looks right with a set of N frame magnas like you now have. I find them to be very uncomfortable though, when shooting magnums. They do not fill the hand well enough and the revolver jumps a lot during recoil. I ended up getting a set of smooth coke profile targets in toasted maple from John Culina and I am much happier now.

OP: If you have issues like I did when shooting, you might see if you can get a Tyler T grip for it. Would keep the classic look and still fill your hand better.

https://images2.imgbox.com/2b/7a/y2njG3KV_o.jpg
View Quote

I find that targets balance the 6" guns better, and anything shorter seems to demand magnas with a T-Grip.

28-2 6"

27-2 5"
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 2:04:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I would have, too. But didn't the OP say it languished in the shop for a month? People these days don't know a good thing when they see it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately, that isn't the case here. Older Smiths are snatched up in a heartbeat, and the prices reflect it. I wonder if it's just me and some other dude hitting the shops and snatching these older revolvers up. OP got a steal on that nice piece! Very nice looking after the clean up.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 3:47:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Unfortunately, that isn't the case here. Older Smiths are snatched up in a heartbeat, and the prices reflect it. I wonder if it's just me and some other dude hitting the shops and snatching these older revolvers up. OP got a steal on that nice piece! Very nice looking after the clean up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same in my area. I haven't seen a bargain price or even close to it on an older Smith around here in a long time. $600 is rock bottom on a pre lock Smith and a nice one will average $800 and up.

I think most must be going to Gunbroker instead of local sales, I haven't seen an older model 27 or 29 in a year or so but the local shops are selling a lot of new production Smith's so revolvers are still fairly popular.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 3:49:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I find that targets balance the 6" guns better, and anything shorter seems to demand magnas with a T-Grip.

28-2 6"
https://i.imgur.com/5mV5uxGh.jpg

27-2 5"
https://i.imgur.com/hvQgQAuh.jpg
View Quote

Beautiful pistolas and that 27-2 is one sexy beast.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 9:52:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Whenever I put Pachmayr's on a blued handgun, I apply a light coat of RIG Universal grease to the metal.  I've removed enough rubber grips from used guns and found them hiding rust to know better.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 10:08:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Unless you want the experience, I would not go the complete rebuild / refinish route.

That will clean up nicely.  No sandpaper or steel wool.  Oil and cloth or maybe brass wool.  I would go for a clean up but keep the used vibe. Think relic guitar kind of thing.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 1:10:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By LampShadeActual:
Oh, Wow, is that finish nice.  A nice working gun.

Dry looks odd.  Oil brings out the black in bluing. Nice work. I am impressed.

I see the grips rear edging chipping when looking for it.  Glad you like the camo things.  I woulda probably reshaped the wood and refinished them.  Look for the pencil three digit numbers inside each panel.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LampShadeActual:
Oh, Wow, is that finish nice.  A nice working gun.

Dry looks odd.  Oil brings out the black in bluing. Nice work. I am impressed.

I see the grips rear edging chipping when looking for it.  Glad you like the camo things.  I woulda probably reshaped the wood and refinished them.  Look for the pencil three digit numbers inside each panel.

I don't have the skill to reshape the stocks or else I might have, I ended up picking a pair of the Thai reproductions since everybody selling their original sets seem to be getting way more money than I am willing to pay.

Originally Posted By wmagrush:
Yes, a keeper. Enough wear to not be afraid to shoot it and affect value. Good that the rust was only superficial. The ‘if it was mine’ opinion would only change the grips to black Pachmayrs. Always liked the satin blue utility finish to hide smudge marks from handling.

I may still pick up a pair of the all black Pachmayrs, depends on how much longer I can stand the camo set.

Originally Posted By Overkill777:
Great looking gun. I love the 28.

Threads like these get my heart pounding. 

Dear Penthouse, I never thought this would happen to me.....

Originally Posted By SPTiger:
What a great thread! Back in the mid-80s when I was in my teens I used to go to a pawn shop that was at the end of the street I lived on. They always seemed to have at least one Model 28 in the case and I can remember a couple with the exact same markings as the OPs. Too bad I was too young to buy handguns in those days. 

Also, that gun in that exact condition in a pawn shop around here would be marked $700.

I have memories of missing out on a lot of deals when I was too young as well, I try and pick what I can when my gun fund allows.

Originally Posted By fury413rb:
I would have bought that in a heartbeat

In hindsight I can't believe I waited as long as I did to pick it up.

Originally Posted By nhsport:
Ha! those pack's are so ugly they are cool.
I personally don't get excited over the S&W magmas (or whatever they call them) because they don't fit me. I don't throw them out but they are not on my guns.

All my guns are shooters and Houge grips seem to match up with my hands fairly well so that is what I mostly run.

Now from a geometry standpoint L and K frames have a slightly better trigger but I really want a 28 but I never seem to see any in my area priced anything like what the OP found

Cleaned up well , keep popping off those Packmeyers to keep after the future blooms!

I really like Pachmayr presentation grips for shooting and can't stand Houge, but that's why there's so many options I suppose. Agreed about the kit of K and L frame guns, they are absolutely perfect for my hand. The N is huge and fun but isn't quite as refined or natural for me.

Originally Posted By Bladeswitcher:

I would have, too. But didn't the OP say it languished in the shop for a month? People these days don't know a good thing when they see it.

This shop doesn't advertise online and just got several huge estates of 100+ milsurp guns, so they have been pulling a lot of the attention. Maybe people were scared off by the missing thumblatch? This is not my first smokin deal from the same shop.

Originally Posted By Morton_Co:

I never find deals like that.  In my area that would have been a $500.00 plus revolver.  

I'd buy some Altamont Classic Panel grips and start putting rounds through it.  Don't have to worry about scuffing it.

I like Altamonts, and with Ahrends out of business now Thailand seems to be the other option for the same style grips. I have some Altamonts on my K frame that I like but I think I will stick with the Pachmayrs on this one.

Originally Posted By JohnRippert:
A 4inch M28 just looks right with a set of N frame magnas like you now have. I find them to be very uncomfortable though, when shooting magnums. They do not fill the hand well enough and the revolver jumps a lot during recoil. I ended up getting a set of smooth coke profile targets in toasted maple from John Culina and I am much happier now.

OP: If you have issues like I did when shooting, you might see if you can get a Tyler T grip for it. Would keep the classic look and still fill your hand better.

I agree on both the look and comfort level when shooting. I'll have a set for having but I probably won't shoot with them much. I personally do not care for the way Tyler Ts fit in my hand, though I seem to be the only person in the world who doesn't. I like the look of them though.

Originally Posted By JWnTN:

Back in the 80s and 90s, many small gun shops had a box full of similar grips, trade-ins from customers buying Pachmayrs.  Those days are long gone.

Once, I picked up a set of the camo Pachmayrs or $5 or so, trying to find something to make a Model 29 work for me.

A box like that would be a dream come true, I'd just off to buy the whole thing.

Originally Posted By hkcavalier:

I find that targets balance the 6" guns better, and anything shorter seems to demand magnas with a T-Grip.

Beautiful! I'd like to add a model 27 to the fleet one day.

Originally Posted By raygixxer89:

Unfortunately, that isn't the case here. Older Smiths are snatched up in a heartbeat, and the prices reflect it. OP got a steal on that nice piece! Very nice looking after the clean up.

Rare is the "deal" on any older Smith around here, this would be the exception rather than the norm. Thanks!

Originally Posted By SmokeEater2:
 Same in my area. I haven't seen a bargain price or even close to it on an older Smith around here in a long time. $600 is rock bottom on a pre lock Smith and a nice one will average $800 and up. 

I think most must be going to Gunbroker instead of local sales, I haven't seen an older model 27 or 29 in a year or so but the local shops are selling a lot of new production Smith's so revolvers are still fairly popular.

I'm lucky this shop doesn't list online! The pricing is usually a little lower than what gunbroker completed auctions sell for but deals certainly pop up.

Originally Posted By Bog_Irish:
Whenever I put Pachmayr's on a blued handgun, I apply a light coat of RIG Universal grease to the metal.  I've removed enough rubber grips from used guns and found them hiding rust to know better.

I'll certainly keep the rust under control with a little grease, thanks for the suggestion!

Originally Posted By Johnnymenudo:
Unless you want the experience, I would not go the complete rebuild / refinish route.

That will clean up nicely.  No sandpaper or steel wool.  Oil and cloth or maybe brass wool.  I would go for a clean up but keep the used vibe. Think relic guitar kind of thing.

You'll be pleased when you finish the thread (maybe)!
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 6:58:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Very nice revolver.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 6:09:27 AM EDT
[#43]
I recently bought 2 4" 28-2's, one is prettier than the other one, but both of them cost 2X what the OP's gun did! I bought a set of the smaller S&W target grips from a friend and after a refinish, one of the 28-2' will get them, the other one will get a set of Altamont grips I already had. I would have been very happy to pay $350-400 for a 28-2 in the shape the OP's is in.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 9:38:23 PM EDT
[#44]
That looks awesome. I picked up a 6 inch in similar condition for $300 about a 9 months ago. I thought I stole it. I didn't even ask to see it, just got my wallet out and said I'll take it. Mine has target stocks and a trigger shoe. It's awesome.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 8:12:18 AM EDT
[#45]
The gun looks great! I dig those camo things!

I like a gun that already has some character to it. I won't feel bad carrying it and adding holster wear.
I prefer shooters over safe queens.

Link Posted: 5/9/2020 11:51:40 AM EDT
[#46]
DAMN,  the Model 28, is my #2 Dream Revolver, after my 625.

And if I ever spotted 1 for that kind of money, It would be mine !!!

I got my 625JM, for a really nice price of $500 Used, and I've never regretted buying it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 7:19:36 PM EDT
[#47]
I like the camo grips on that one!

Link Posted: 5/9/2020 7:35:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 6:04:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Mine was fairly pitted when I got it. I ended up having a friend KG Gunkote it before Cerakote became a thing. I've always liked N-Frames. I have the 28, a 25, a chopped M1917 and a 58.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 10:35:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Great deal and a nice job on the project.

I like those ugly camo grips on it - adds character
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top