Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2018 8:42:33 PM EDT
For the record: THIS IS NOT TO BAD MOUTH ANY MANUFACTURER.

Hello everyone,

Sadly I have bad news to report; which is of the kind I never once anticipated I would have to. I was testing out a sig 938 at the indoor range when I decided I wanted to fire a mag or so of ammo out of my carry gun. The Carry gun in conversation is a CZ p01 with mostly CGW internals and a CZ customs hammer.

Fired off about 7 rounds on target when the trigger failed to reset. I pushed it forward with my finger and fired one more shot when once again it failed to return to position. Pulled the slide off to find a missing reduced rate trigger return spring and only half of the CGW free float trigger pivot pin.

Pictures listed below. I'll talk to David tomorrow at CGWs and see what he has to say. I run their stuff in about 5 different CZs and they are top notch to work with. I'm posting this to simply share what happened to me and what I had thought was my ultra reliable superman of a carry gun. I'm honestly not sure how it would of happened or why, considering the pin is under very little stress as far as I can tell. Open to suggestions ????

Not sure on round count. Less than 3000 I would guess. Shot some USPSA with it and dry fire about weekly. Ammo was 124Gr GDHP.

Link Posted: 1/18/2018 11:29:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Could be as simple as the part was defective and finally gave up the ghost.  Honestly I would still trust the solid pin over the roll pin stock part.  What is more surprising that the spring was not the failure point.

CGW will take car of you no doubt.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 10:47:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Update:

No surprise CGW replied quickly and professionally. New part will be sent out. The original free float pin was made out of  O1 tool steel but they switched to S7 tool steel after roughly 1 in 1000 broke. No breakages reported yet with the pin made of S7 steel. The reported breakages may seem low for the 01 Steel but I agree with CGW, that it’s an unacceptable percentage and will order the S7 pins for my other CZs as a preventative measure.

Cheers
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 2:59:36 AM EDT
[#3]
This is why CGW is the only outfit that works on my CZs.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 3:25:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Since you say you are open to suggestions, I have two for you:

1)  Do not dry fire that gun.  You can break your firing pin retaining pins and then you won't get a single shot off.  If you've dry-fired a lot, replace the firing pin retaining pins.
2)  Do not modify the internals of your carry guns.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 3:36:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Well stuff happens, sometimes parts fail. Fix it and keep it clean and lubed and keep on shooting for practice and to ensure it's in working order.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 8:29:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

1)  Do not dry fire that gun.  You can break your firing pin retaining pins and then you won't get a single shot off.  If you've dry-fired a lot, replace the firing pin retaining pins.
View Quote
1) I replaced the firing pin with the upgraded one CGW sells and should probably put that part on a normal replacment schedule for this gun. I kinda like CZ customs pin more but never tried it.
2) I generally disagree with this statement but in this case your absolutely correct. I would of never had a issue and the gun would of fired without incident.

I purchased the pistol in college and it served all purposes. I didn’t have money for a carry gun and a competition gun. I got off easy with when this part broke but it could of been disastrous.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 1:59:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

1) I replaced the firing pin with the upgraded one CGW sells and should probably put that part on a normal replacment schedule for this gun. I kinda like CZ customs pin more but never tried it.
2) I generally disagree with this statement but in this case your absolutely correct. I would of never had a issue and the gun would of fired without incident.

I purchased the pistol in college and it served all purposes. I didn't have money for a carry gun and a competition gun. I got off easy with when this part broke but it could of been disastrous.
View Quote
In my case I dry-fired my P-01 so many times that it broke the firing pin retaining pins, but the firing pin itself was okay.  I had CZ custom put in a solid pin after that.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 2:58:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I dry fired a lot with my SP-01 before I did my CGW parts and it batter the crap out of the roll pin.  I started using snap caps like I did with mySig P22x pistols.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I would of never had a issue and the gun would of fired without incident.
View Quote
Until your factory P01 trigger spring broke like mine did.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 7:18:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Interesting. I wonder if the O1 was hardened? It's one of the trade offs with carbon steel, the harder you make it, the more brittle it becomes.
Also, S7 is usually referred to as "shock resistant", or capable of very high impact, whereas O1 is not.
Moving to S7 is a good move by CGW.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 6:42:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah that sucks. I know the factory TRS is one of the weak points on these guns. Surprising about the trigger pin. If you dry fire quite a bit then replace the factory firing pin retaining pin with a solid pin. Those roll pins can be a real pain to remove after you mushroomed them extensively.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 10:46:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Until your factory P01 trigger spring broke like mine did.
View Quote
Happened to me once. They all get replaced now when aquired. Several on hand. Ive always used snap caps 9 times outta 10 so I should be good. Still plan to replace with a solid pin. And as few mods as possible for me. Maybe a tad lighter main spring and some polishing
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 11:45:26 PM EDT
[#13]
The failure when the retaining pins break is a catastrophic one.  On mine there was a huge section that was completely gone and I had been carrying it for about 3 weeks until I realized it wouldn't fire at all. That being said I probably dry-fired it about 100k times.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 11:51:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Just goes to show people need to be cycling a mag or 2 periodically with their carry guns.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 12:49:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just goes to show people need to be cycling a mag or 2 periodically with their carry guns.
View Quote
Yep, that’s why we do it.   I had a similar range incident as OP, except I got a click, not bang on the first trigger pull.

Problem was froglube, that shit just does not work.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 1:21:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yep, that’s why we do it.   I had a similar range incident as OP, except I got a click, not bang on the first trigger pull.

View Quote
Had it happen with me as well.

Bang then click.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 1:59:34 PM EDT
[#17]
And I tested that frogjizz for a year on some target guns before I went all in with it.  Worked fine in those.   That shit only goes on door hinges now.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 1:18:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is correct.

I use a foam earplug between the hammer and firing pin when dry firing.

Other have used a rubber O ring.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 1:27:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Had that happen on a few sigs with frog lube, to the trash it went.

OP i might be in the minority here, but i would never trust my life to a non factory gun, aside from sights and grip. If anything happen litigation on a modified firearm alone is not worth the headache.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 2:09:44 PM EDT
[#20]
My CZ parts failures in a CZ75B that I bought used for cheap and converted to SA:

I had a CGW trigger pin fail while tapping it in with a small jewlers hammer. He sent me a new one and that worked great for many tens of thousands of rounds, still going strong.
I also broke a CGW ez drift rear sight, where it sheared itself off during recoil (was correctly installed). He quickly sent a new design and that worked great for many tens of thousands, still going strong.
Also, broke a CGW billet sear, which sheared off at the set screw. Sent a new one and still going strong.
CGW always treated me right and stood up for their fine products.

Have broken two CZ TRS's. And two CZ slide stops as well. Have gone through many springs, too.

Seems like a lot of stuff to break, but I rode this CZ75 very hard and put it away wet many times. A great gun that has seen a TON of action and is still being shot today. Such is the life of a competition gun. ANY competition gun is going to wear out parts and they will break, most a lot more than this. And, yes Glocks break too. Don't get me started on Sigs!

I love my CZ's, and my new Tanfo. But this original CZ got me into competition shooting and it never let me down in a match, and really outperformed its price point. I carry fairly unmodified Glocks, and I respect and like those guns a lot, but for fun shooting and competition, they stay in the range bag.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top