Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2018 2:50:48 PM EDT
Looking for a 'quick run to the store' literally fits-in-my-back-pocket mouse gun.
I know the Tomcat is small enough, so is the Kahr CW380 (CW9 is just a tad too big), not sure about the RM380.
I would prefer .380 over .32, any suggestions?

Tomac
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 4:14:47 PM EDT
[#1]
My drop it in the pocket carry gun is the Kahr CW9. It fits in most all my jeans and khakis in a pocket holster with no problems. Also have a CZ 83 in 380 but it is bigger. For me it depends on time of year and where I'm going. Kahr does see some EDC usage as well. Also have a Kahr CM45 that does EDC duty, just not in pocket carry mode. I found the Beretta a little too small FOR ME to shoot well when I shot a friends gun a few times. No experience with the Remington.

Different strokes....and all that.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 4:26:23 PM EDT
[#2]
For your needs, Ruger LCP.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 4:27:33 PM EDT
[#3]
LCP for me also, mine is a gen 1, the LCP II is a better platform
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 4:29:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Is the LCP the same OAL or shorter than the Tomcat or CW380? Thx!...
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 4:37:00 PM EDT
[#5]
My RM380 has been my pocket gun for several years now.  Dead nuts reliable with any ammo I care to use.  I use Critical Defense for carrying around.  My new Sig 365 will likely replace it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 4:46:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Tomac... I don't have a Tomcat, but my LCP is about 1/8" longer than my Beretta 21A (.22lr) overall comparing to end of the Beretta beaver tail grip, and about 2/3 the width... the slim width is the best feature IMHO.... I've added sights to mine, but you have to hold on to it due to its small size

I EDC a G43 IWB, but a G42(.380) is a whole lot easier to shoot more accurately than the LCP... my G42 carries easily in a pair of nylon fishing shorts with cargo pockets
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 5:00:06 PM EDT
[#7]
One of the LCP’s
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 12:57:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Sig 238

Minimal use of plastic, so the recoil is pretty low. I could shoot that all day long.

Plus if you skip out on all the customizations you can easily get one between 500-550 if you shop around. Mine came out to maybe 520; it was on sale plus I got it on base so that cut out the taxes too.

Oh and it’s highly concealable. I can easily carry it holstered in a pocket.  Yes literally in my pocket - holster and all.

it also came with a tiny OWB holster that’s still super easy to conceal, but frankly it’s just easier to pocket carry.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 2:14:29 AM EDT
[#9]
In .380 the LCP II is the best choice. If you want a .32 then Kel-Tec P32.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 2:21:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sig 238

Minimal use of plastic, so the recoil is pretty low. I could shoot that all day long.

Plus if you skip out on all the customizations you can easily get one between 500-550 if you shop around. Mine came out to maybe 520; it was on sale plus I got it on base so that cut out the taxes too.

Oh and it’s highly concealable. I can easily carry it holstered in a pocket.  Yes literally in my pocket - holster and all.

it also came with a tiny OWB holster that’s still super easy to conceal, but frankly it’s just easier to pocket carry.
View Quote
For a .380 the P238 gets my vote. Personally though, I carry an HK P30SK in my pocket
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 8:12:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 8:23:31 AM EDT
[#12]
LCP
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 8:46:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 8:56:28 AM EDT
[#14]
The kahr is just tiny.  I worry about shooting it well though.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:14:49 AM EDT
[#15]
LCP
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:22:55 AM EDT
[#16]
I enjoy my Kahr P380. Initially it had issues, but their customer service was amazing. I now have a very dependable true pocket pistol with best trigger of the mouse guns I have tried. The LCP is not in the same class nor is the Bodyguard.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:55:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Kel Tec P32
1. locked breech action, not blowback
2. very easy to shoot WELL
3. truly a pocket gun, flat and small.  the Tomcat is a pig
4. nearly identical ballistics to 380 from same barrel length (use hot euro ball ammo only)
5. comfortable to shoot and thereore you can hit with it.  I think I might have said this already
6. last round slidelock, reload as you normally would
7. 7+1 cpacity
here's my 32s
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/5205/IMG-0587-189586.jpg
which one would fit in your pocket easily?
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/5205/IMG-0703-263242.jpg
View Quote
Nice collection!
Actually, I already have a Tomcat that's served me well and the size/weight don't bother me for pocket carry. I'm trying to find a suitable same-sized replacement in .380, preferably *not* DAO.

Tomac
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:57:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Sig 238
View Quote
Owned one. While very reliable & easy to shoot, it's too long for me for pocket carry.

Tomac
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:59:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I enjoy my Kahr P380. Initially it had issues, but their customer service was amazing. I now have a very dependable true pocket pistol with best trigger of the mouse guns I have tried. The LCP is not in the same class nor is the Bodyguard.
View Quote
Owned one, was very reliable (I did all the suggested pre-firing clean/lube/break-in stuff), is small enough for my needs and the trigger was very sweet for DAO. I'd prefer to get away from DAO but the Kahr's on my short list again.

Tomac
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 10:02:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My RM380 has been my pocket gun for several years now.  Dead nuts reliable with any ammo I care to use.  I use Critical Defense for carrying around.  My new Sig 365 will likely replace it.
View Quote
My RM380 has been great too.  I wish I didn't get the laser, and am hoping for another rebate like last year.  It's a solid little gun with very little recoil.  Any hate is based on hearsay experts.  My other pocket gun is a keltec p32.  The only problem I had with that gun was the rim-lock from 32acp rounds.  Use ball ammo and it cycles fine.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 10:03:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
In .380 the LCP II is the best choice. If you want a .32 then Kel-Tec P32.
View Quote
This morning I'm headed to my LGS to check out the LCP II (and other .380's). On paper it has just about everything I want (non-DAO, slide-lock/release, inexpensive mags w/or w/o pinky rest) and is only .25" longer than my Tomcat.
If it fits my back pocket well (fingers crossed!) I may be coming home with an LCP II. I'll update when I get back.

Tomac
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 10:06:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My RM380 has been great too.  I wish I didn't get the laser, and am hoping for another rebate like last year.  It's a solid little gun with very little recoil.  Any hate is based on hearsay experts.  My other pocket gun is a keltec p32.  The only problem I had with that gun was the rim-lock from 32acp rounds.  Use ball ammo and it cycles fine.
View Quote
Local Cabela's has a great sale on the RM380 right now and I really like how it looks. Unfortunately, it's probably too long (I'll verify that later this morning) and that reported heavy trigger is a downside unless I do something like the Galloway Precision spring kit.

Tomac
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 3:16:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Ended up w/a Ruger LCP 2. I must say I'm impressed w/the size & trigger but it's so thin it feels strange in my hand (Hogue grip sleeve now enroute). It slips into my back pocket just like the Tomcat, even uses the same pocket holster!

Threw some lube on it and headed for the range, it was 100% w/28rds of UMC 95gr FMJ and recoil wasn't anywhere near as snappy as I feared it might be in such a small/light pistol (about the same or a little less than my .32 Tomcat, IMHO).
At the 28rd mark recoil started to break the skin on my thumb knuckle so I called it quits for today, I'm hoping the Hogue sleeve will help w/that and accuracy (accuracy is surprisingly good, but I think I can do much better once I manage a better grip).

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread!

Tomac
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:29:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 12:32:07 AM EDT
[#25]
My vote is Ruger LCP. I love my g1. I did NOT like the LCP II  (it's slightly bulkier, has a short trigger pull, and the grip is squared).  IMHO, they got it right the first time (and so many people prefer them, that they never stopped production of it. Still make it to this day).
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 12:57:32 AM EDT
[#26]
I would have pushed you straight LCP.

I've got a P32 as my mouse gun, but if I were buying today I'd go with the higher quality Ruger.

Though the tiniest and most easily concealed mousegun I have is actually a FN 1905 (which Colt also made as  the 1908 Vest pocket). But 25ACP is a bit on the light side.

I also pocket a Sig 938, but it's somewhat dependent on your pants, they're not all adequate.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 4:20:20 PM EDT
[#27]
LCP is hard to beat...... I got an
LCP II and like it a lot...... perfect for the pocket...... but nostalgia is calling me to buy a Beretta 84 I found........
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:46:31 PM EDT
[#28]
lcp 2
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 11:17:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Glock 42
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:25:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My vote is Ruger LCP. I love my g1. I did NOT like the LCP II  (it's slightly bulkier, has a short trigger pull, and the grip is squared).  IMHO, they got it right the first time (and so many people prefer them, that they never stopped production of it. Still make it to this day).
View Quote
I agree completely. The LCP1 is a true pocket pistol. The LCP2 strayed from that concept.

These are not target pistols or fun range toys, they are "get the fuck off me" guns that you can actually CC most anywhere (where legal to do so).

On that note I also own an RM380 and it is a super smooth shooting gun that belays it's pocket pistol classification. It was born from a proven design (Rohrbaugh) and is a very well made gun. I believe the recent duds from Remington (like the R1, RP9 debacles and current 870 QA/QC issues) have poisoned the market for favorable reception of this offering.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:57:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Update: Hogue grip sleeve makes a huge difference. The LCP II now fits my hand perfectly, almost aims itself (it's uncanny, I can close my eyes, raise the pistol, open my eyes and the sights are perfectly aligned) and no more rubbing against the thumb knuckle. Yeah, makes it a little thicker but the advantages greatly outweigh the disadvantages for me.
Added a touch of white nail polish to the front sight and a touch of orange paint to the top of the hammer (if I see the orange through the back of the slide, I know the hammer is cocked). I may try the Galloway 13lb spring to see how it affects speed of followup shots.

This setup works so well for me it's now my EDC (loaded w/Fiocchi Extrema XTP) and I've ordered a 2nd LCP II so I'll always have one for EDC and the other for training/backup then rotate them every few months.

Tomac
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 4:08:18 PM EDT
[#32]
A few years ago i picked up a diamondback DB380 for a good deal one black friday...

Its like a striker fired ruger LCP, or keltec.

It has quickly become my go to pocket gun, mostly because i can actuly hit my target constantly.

Great little trigger, and it looks like a tiny little glock with the back plate on the slide.

The grip shape is a little funny looking IMO, but it seems to just work.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 5:11:27 PM EDT
[#33]
I wasn't originally looking for a new EDC, just a small 'something' I could slip into my back pocket for quick trips and such.
Now that I have a couple of hundred rds through the LCP II, I've discovered something I really wasn't expecting to find...

The LCP II conceals/aims/shoots better for me than anything else I've ever owned or tried (in big part due to the Hogue grip sleeve), from .22 to 9mm. I wasn't expecting anywhere near this level of personal compatibility (YMMV) in a pocket pistol, much less a Ruger!
The LCP II has now replaced both my Shields & Tomcat for EDC duty, something I thought I'd never say about a .380!

Now, if Ruger would just release an LCP III that's identical to the II except for being in 9mm...

Tomac
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top