Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/11/2021 8:54:36 PM EDT
Title says it all.  Not interested in "plastic" guns or double stack.  I've carried a fullsize or commander 1911 most of 50 years and not interested in trying to change muscle memory at my age.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 9:04:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Make sure chamber reamed correctly. Extractor deflection and clearance from breech face to inner claw is .075” for 45 and .064” for 9mm

Replace firing pin stop with Harrison Design or cut small radius and flat on EGW oversize blank and good to go. Fixed several Kimber Ultras and Defenders. Even the DW is better with a replaced FPS.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 11:07:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 2:00:12 AM EDT
[#3]
My sample size of defenders is good so far.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 3:58:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I have an old Officer's Model Colt that is 100%........
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:24:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have an old Officer's Model Colt that is 100%........
View Quote

I do too, but it's the one everyone hates.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:27:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Ew

Link Posted: 4/13/2021 8:56:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Ew

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It's worse. I have another one, fullsize 10MM.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 8:29:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

You have my interest/curiosity
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 8:42:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

My New Agent has been 100% too. I love shooting that little gun!
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 2:02:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last year before the Big Panic the LGS got in a used, stainless 10mm DE II. I already had the blued OM and the 10mm was at the right price (for me), so I brought it home.

I call my safe "The Home for Unwanted and Oddball Guns."  Wish I could figure out a way to make it a 501c3.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 3:48:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Last year before the Big Panic the LGS got in a used, stainless 10mm DE II. I already had the blued OM and the 10mm was at the right price (for me), so I brought it home.

I call my safe "The Home for Unwanted and Oddball Guns."  Wish I could figure out a way to make it a 501c3.
View Quote

Nothing wrong with that at all. I have a bit of love/fascination with guns that are "so ugly they are beautiful" or something everyone hates sometimes I love it for that reason.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 4:58:29 PM EDT
[#12]
My Defender is having issues with last round stove piping.

I bought an EGW firing pin block but I haven’t had the time to fit it.

Link Posted: 4/14/2021 6:01:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My Defender is having issues with last round stove piping.

I bought an EGW firing pin block but I haven’t had the time to fit it.

View Quote

What kind of round count on recoil spring? What magazine and how is the spring. The little guys are hard on them.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 6:26:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What kind of round count on recoil spring? What magazine and how is the spring. The little guys are hard on them.
View Quote

It is on a new recoil spring. I replace the recoil spring about every 500 rounds. I tried different mags too.

The gun didn’t do this when it was new. Maybe it needs some extra strength mag springs. But I figured I’d slow down the action of the slide with the flat firing pin block.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 8:48:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It is on a new recoil spring. I replace the recoil spring about every 500 rounds. I tried different mags too.

The gun didn’t do this when it was new. Maybe it needs some extra strength mag springs. But I figured I’d slow down the action of the slide with the flat firing pin block.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like a good plan anxious to hear how it does.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 9:04:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Another vote here for the Colt New Agent.  I put CT grips on mine and bought Wilson Combat 7 rounders for it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:16:19 PM EDT
[#17]
When I was looking the Colt Defenders they best rep back in 2011, not sure lately.

In case you don't know the Defenders & New Agents are same gun with different sights and options.

All I can say is this thing runs dirty & rusty. I try to clean but don't keep up as much as I should.

It goes on when get out of bed and off when going to bed. Also they are light weight aluminum frame which make carrying nice.

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 6:22:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Have you tried one of these? EGW Guide rod They've worked wonders with my little guns, and I no longer need to change the spring every 300-500 rounds.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 9:07:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Have you tried one of these? EGW Guide rod They've worked wonders with my little guns, and I no longer need to change the spring every 300-500 rounds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No mines still the stock dual units in both of mine.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 11:40:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

That looks pretty cool! I had never seen that!
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 5:03:44 AM EDT
[#21]
I would stick with a Commander. Best for size and reliability.
If you must go compact I suggest a older Colt Officers.
The 3.5 barrel seems to overall be more reliable than the 3 inch guns.
Don't forget to change the recoil spring every 500 rounds.

https://forum.m1911.org/content.php?123-short-1911s-are-unreliable
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 9:19:18 PM EDT
[#22]
I’d say an officers model colt. I got a stainless officers mode that runs like a raped ape with McCormick shooting star officers mags that are made to hold 7. Took a little work but well worth it.

Ejector was fukin loose when I got it so fitted an EGW extended ejector. Left it long as shit to advance ejection. Had to fare the slide a bit to clear a live 230 ball round ejecting when clearing gun. Added an EGW full length guide rod with reverse plug. And the EGW ss mainspring housing and flat trigger.  

Some bubba smith tried to throat the damn thing and skipped a fukin grinding mounted point into the damn chamber so had to rework throat area and polish out chamber. Went thru the rest and deburred everything.

Slick as shit cycle now and cycles fast as fuck. The advancing ejection timing made a world of difference. Hell all I run is ball ammo though so HP shit might be a bitch who knows.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 8:36:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'd say an officers model colt. I got a stainless officers mode that runs like a raped ape with McCormick shooting star officers mags that are made to hold 7. Took a little work but well worth it.

Ejector was fukin loose when I got it so fitted an EGW extended ejector. Left it long as shit to advance ejection. Had to fare the slide a bit to clear a live 230 ball round ejecting when clearing gun. Added an EGW full length guide rod with reverse plug. And the EGW ss mainspring housing and flat trigger.  

Some bubba smith tried to throat the damn thing and skipped a fukin grinding mounted point into the damn chamber so had to rework throat area and polish out chamber. Went thru the rest and deburred everything.

Slick as shit cycle now and cycles fast as fuck. The advancing ejection timing made a world of difference. Hell all I run is ball ammo though so HP shit might be a bitch who knows.
View Quote

If you had to do all that for it to reliably work than I'd say not your Colt officers model.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 8:40:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I concur. Both 45 and 9mm
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 3:14:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine as well the 9mm is fixing to be converted to 38 super just need to order the barrel.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 10:39:22 PM EDT
[#26]

I actually tried to find one of those a few years ago...

I have had 100% reliability with Colt 3” 1911’s, to include 2 Defenders and 3 New Agents. Fed, fired and ejected everything including fat-mouth hollow points.

The Defender is really hard to beat for price and features.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 10:00:10 AM EDT
[#27]
I have a Dan Wesson ECO 45 ACP and a Nighthawk Counselor 9mm that have been 100% reliable to date.  Only use Wilson mags when I choose to carry one of these fine pistols.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 5:05:11 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a Colt New Agent in 45, with factory installed XS sites. It is 100% reliable, I just shot it in IDPA last week. Wilson or Colt magazines, no problems.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 6:57:52 PM EDT
[#29]
You realize that the sub compact gun is going to recoil entirely differently than a full size or commander and is going to require a change in your shooting and muscle memory, right? You’re not just going to pick it up and run it like a larger 1911, that’s not how it works.

If you want to stick to similar controls then I’d go with a compact 2011. Staccato is always a good choice.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 10:12:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Dan Wesson ECO in 9mm and one in .45.  Excellent pistols.

Link Posted: 5/9/2021 2:03:32 AM EDT
[#31]

My Counselor was very reliable but I never fell in love with it. For me, it was a bit of disappointment considering how nice their other offerings are.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 4:01:05 PM EDT
[#32]
My STI Elektra .45acp has been extremely reliable.  It's a fantastic officer sized 1911.  Unfortunately, they don't make them anymore but if you see one on the used market they are definitely worth looking at.

Mine just happens to be pink but they came in other colors and in 9mm as well.  

Link Posted: 6/3/2021 8:44:55 AM EDT
[#33]
I really liked the Colt Defender .45 that I sold when I was stupid. Very nice pistol.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 5:57:58 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a Dan Wesson CCO in 9mm that I'd consider reliable.   No issues so far.   I also have a Wilson Supergrade Tactical Compact that is reliable but for the money it sure has better be.  

I had a 9mm Defender a while back that wasn't reliable as well as an EMP that didn't work well.

I don't have an sub 4" 1911s because I don't trust them. The CCO size is a great package for me. Commander slide and Officer grip.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 10:38:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Colt
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 12:04:26 AM EDT
[#36]
I know you can make a stainless Colt Officer ACP very reliable. I picked one up a couple years ago while in a 1911 buying binge. They can take a bit of work to get them running. Least mine did but it was well worth it
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 12:19:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

If you had to do all that for it to reliably work than I'd say not your Colt officers model.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd say an officers model colt. I got a stainless officers mode that runs like a raped ape with McCormick shooting star officers mags that are made to hold 7. Took a little work but well worth it.

Ha forgot I already posted in this thread. Long day

Right. When I got it I wouldn’t have carried it that’s for sure. I had a good time doing that colt. Zero doubts carrying it now. Reliable as the G30 or G21 in rotation with it

Could have probably got away with doing less but figured if I went thru the whole thing while I was at it it’d be better in the long run.

Link Posted: 6/24/2021 5:16:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Of all the sub compact 1911's the Rock Island BBR is the smallest one. I have one and so far it has been 100%. To date not one issue with it.
I really like shooting this gun, not near as snappy as I thought it would be, and pretty damn accurate for a 3".

10 +1 factory mag,  and 13 +1 with a modified Warthog mag.
Ported barrel
Series 70
Skelitonzed adjustable trigger and hammer
G10 grips
Adjustable LPA sights
Ramped Bull barrel

" />
" />
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 8:57:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Haven't seen one of those (10mm DE) in decades ... Might you help the group here with pics of this rare bird?
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 9:03:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. Running the EGW unit in my New Agent. It's definitely GTG.

No malfs to date, and it feels like it's smoothed out the recoil impulse from what it was with the factory set-up.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 6:43:15 PM EDT
[#41]
I've had nothing but good luck with my Stacatto C.

S/F

Al
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 11:00:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 11:31:52 PM EDT
[#43]
This one has been quite the carry piece the last month or so. I replaced the recoil system with an EGW Clark Plug system, and added a thicker barrel bushing. Now, it’s a joy to shoot.

With all that being said, the Colt Defender, Colt Officer’s Model and the 1991A1 Compact Models are my top three picks for reliability. I don’t have much experience with other makes, but all the Colts I’ve had have been extremely reliable with proper maintenance and periodic replacement of the recoil springs (per the manufacturer’s recommendations).

Colt has been doing sub-compact 1911s longer than anyone else, and they typically get it right. The only ding I have is with the factory barrel bushing on the M1991A1 Compact, but replacing it with the EGW bushing and full length guide rod kit remedies that very easily.

Link Posted: 10/19/2021 12:18:03 PM EDT
[#44]
I had a Colt Defender in .45 that I foolishly traded away. It was an awesome pistol and very light. Now I have a Dan Wesson Valkyrie .45 which is also a very nice 1911.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 4:54:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Make sure chamber reamed correctly. Extractor deflection and clearance from breech face to inner claw is .075” for 45 and .064” for 9mm

Replace firing pin stop with Harrison Design or cut small radius and flat on EGW oversize blank and good to go. Fixed several Kimber Ultras and Defenders. Even the DW is better with a replaced FPS.
View Quote

Doesn’t answer the question!!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 4:57:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
My Defender is having issues with last round stove piping. I bought an EGW firing pin block but I haven’t had the time to fit it.
View Quote

And how does that answer the OP’s question?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 5:00:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:What kind of round count on recoil spring? What magazine and how is the spring. The little guys are hard on them.
View Quote

Youse guys should start your own thread!!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 5:01:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:It is on a new recoil spring. I replace the recoil spring about every 500 rounds. I tried different mags too. The gun didn’t do this when it was new. Maybe it needs some extra strength mag springs. But I figured I’d slow down the action of the slide with the flat firing pin block.
View Quote

Why don’t you two get a room if you are not answering the OP’s question.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 5:03:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You realize that the sub compact gun is going to recoil entirely differently than a full size or commander and is going to require a change in your shooting and muscle memory, right? You’re not just going to pick it up and run it like a larger 1911, that’s not how it works.

If you want to stick to similar controls then I’d go with a compact 2011. Staccato is always a good choice.
View Quote

Not exactly a sub-compact that the OP asked for.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 7:03:41 PM EDT
[#50]
I had same problem,but then I found a Springfield Armory EMP in 9mm .Reliable and easy to shoot.I was wondering about the Rock Island BBr compact,having 10 rounds would mean the a double stack mag.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top