Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2019 7:31:46 AM EDT
I got two Mecgar nickel 84 mags modded by Robertson Trading Post yesterday.
Looks like they just pinched the back of the feed lips, my calipers show my 81 mag feed lips are the same distance front to back, while the 84s are wider up front and narrow to less than the 81 in the back. Loading & unloading by hand seemed smooth.

One mag locked open on empty just fine, the other would lock open on the last round half the time so I filed a bit on the follower tab and fixed that. Doesn’t appear there was any mod to the follower. It’s polymer and the same design as the 92 15 round mags, unlike the flat metal 81s.

Side by side the 84 follower angles up more than the 81 and with a live round loaded you can see when inserted the 81 feeds low, almost flat and uses the feed ramp to chamber. The 84 feeds higher and almost jumps past the ramp right to the chamber. Which might be a better option for hollowpoints but I’d bet the larger 84s would be more prone to rimlock and shorter OAL .32acp can rimlock.

We’ll see how they do at the range. If the front feed lips need to be narrowed I think the follower would have to be filed to match, which would bring rounds down closer to how the 81 feeds. When empty and holding the slide lock down the slide will drag across the 84 follower quite a bit more, probably not an issue since the hold open works.

Mags were $28 each and $3 shipping, I think one or two more were free shipping. I see unmodded Mecgars for $18-$20.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 1:20:46 PM EDT
[#1]
The one I got won't lock in. I received an email from them right after they mailed it that it would likely have issues.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 3:25:29 PM EDT
[#2]
My Mec-Gar 84 mag works in mine.  I did a little filing and bent the feed lips in a hair and flattened the follower - It works flawless so far, I put anopther 100 rds through it today at the range.  I got some more ammo from Midway!
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 4:29:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Picked up a 84 mag on eBay. I went with this style thinking it would work for the 32 acp as it has some ribs pressed into the body. I measured the lips on my factory 81 mag and after a few whacks with a brass hammer on the new mags lips it was close the the same. It holds 12 rds of 32.

Ran several full mags using it with no issues. Locks back on empty.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 2:49:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Decided to wait for the surplus mags rumored or Beretta to restock.

As a hedge I'm converting at least one to 9mm Browning Court, since I have a ton.  I was ticked I've missed the various surplus 84s that's have been available, so glad these made an appearance. Even converted won't be quite as dear
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 12:37:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The one I got won't lock in. I received an email from them right after they mailed it that it would likely have issues.
View Quote
I just ordered a 3-pack; they haven't shipped, but if I get the same email I'll note it here.

I might start looking for 84 10 rounders.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 12:54:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Picked up a 84 mag on eBay. I went with this style thinking it would work for the 32 acp as it has some ribs pressed into the body. I measured the lips on my factory 81 mag and after a few whacks with a brass hammer on the new mags lips it was close the the same. It holds 12 rds of 32.

Ran several full mags using it with no issues. Locks back on empty.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/222048/D193A6D9-932A-44F0-AACF-CFF5C8CB3B6A_jpeg-1082533.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/222048/5153570D-E068-4FFB-8107-7C134C84E38A_jpeg-1082534.JPG
View Quote
Mine only holds 7 rounds or so before they jam in the magazine.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 12:01:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I was messing around with my converted 84 mags and noticed one of them would pick up a rattle after the 6th or 7th round and keep rattling even when full. But the other converted mag never did this. Same with both Fiocchi and S&B.

Follower didn't feel sticky, both took the same effort to bottom out, so after loading 6 rounds I gave em a quick tap then checked for rattles. Seems once I got past that point if they didn't rattle then loading them full didn't cause any more rattling.

I used to run FNX-45 mags and even tho the springs were strong the followers would occasionally stick when cycling a full mag past the 3rd or 4th round, and they all did this. Making sure there were no rattling rounds helped keep things cycling normally.

BTW if you are thinking of grabbing a 10 round 84 mag off ebay to convert make sure it's like the one pictured above with ribs running the length of the mag. Most of the 10 round 84 mags I've seen have a single dimple in each side of the mag in the middle that just keeps the follower from reaching bottom. But same follower and same width as a full cap .380 mag.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 4:19:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I ordered 3 of the modded mags from Robertson and put 14 rounds through each of them and had no issues inserting, loading or firing and they locked back on empty. A mag full each isn't much, but so far so good.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 7:07:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I just ordered a 3-pack; they haven't shipped, but if I get the same email I'll note it here.

I might start looking for 84 10 rounders.
View Quote
My 3 of these mags all lock in and drop free, but one didn't want to let the slide home the first time I released it (was good all the times after that).

Still waiting on my ammo to try it all out, though
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 5:11:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Mine only holds 7 rounds or so before they jam in the magazine.
View Quote
Finally found some .32 ACP ammo.  Loaded my mags up.

Factory mag that came with mine seems flawless.  One of the modified mags got to 11, and became very difficult to load.  The other two modified mags got to 5 rounds each and became impossible.  I'm letting them all set in for a while before I try to load more.  I'll be happy if they get to 10, would love if they matched 12.

I might keep an eye out for the type of restricted mag body posted above, though.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 6:00:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Got a direct link to order these mags?
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:47:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Here ya go.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 11:26:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Here ya go.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here ya go.
Thanks a bunch
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 10:22:10 PM EDT
[#14]
84 mags with 81 followers (flat) worked for me, but no hold open
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 1:12:55 AM EDT
[#15]
I ordered one to try it. It was tough to load but otherwise functioned perfectly. It encouraged me enough that I ordered another one.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 11:33:02 AM EDT
[#16]
classic had factory mags last week
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 8:02:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
84 mags with 81 followers (flat) worked for me, but no hold open
View Quote
I saw some of those followers the other day at Numrich.  I borrowed an 84 mag from my brother-in-law while at his house over Thanksgiving. It locks in and locks the slide back but I just got the 81 and don't have ammo for it yet. Should have that in a few days and get to shoot it next weekend.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:42:08 AM EDT
[#18]
That's all well and good, but the followers between the .380 and .32 mags are different. You'all are lucky the converted mags worked.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top