Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2022 2:03:58 PM EDT
My daughter is getting into shooting and is looking at a 63. Does anyone have any feedback on this model?   YouTube reviews are generally positive.   The 617 is too big.   Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 2:24:05 PM EDT
[#1]
The model 63 is heavy, but tough. The 317 is 8 shot as well but weighs half as much.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 3:00:04 PM EDT
[#2]
317 is actually more difficult to shoot because it is so light. I recently picked up a 63 after much debate between these 2. To me it feels just right in the hand and has just enough weight to make it steady, especially 2 handed shooting. Mine is also very accurate for a 3 inch gun. I think it would be great starter gun. The 317 is more of a purpose built lite as possible  for carrying affair. Be prepared to spend more money and get a speed loader to maximize the fun.

I’ve had a 617 and yes they are beefy. Great training if you have a 686 or 629, but a little too big for just fun plinking and learning.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 3:05:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had 2 or 3 model 63s.
Not sure why I keep selling them.

I'm wanting .22s I can give to each of the grandkids and teach them to shoot on.
The 63 is a work of art, backed by one of the best warranties in the industries.
They are beautiful and tough as a crowbar.

The double action trigger pull is to be expected for a .22, but single action is a dream.
I want to find another one with the promise to myself that I will NEVER sell this one.
They are the perfect size for woods carry or plinking, in my opinion.

I also have a 317 and love it.
It is exactly the same size but much lighter, and even better for a woods bumming gun.

Your daughter would be able to pass either on to her kids/grandkids.
She will love a 63 or a 317.

Both guns come from the factory with long boot grips.
The guns in these pictures have aftermarket grips installed.

Attachment Attached File

(Not my pic.)
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:10:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 6:56:13 AM EDT
[#5]
No problems with my kit gun.  Mine is an 80’s vintage six shooter square butt 4” with the metal adjustable sights and iirc the red insert ramp sight.

Last handgun I would sell.  I would much sooner sell the K22.

I lol’s at someone calling the model 63 heavy.  It’s heavy enough to last a lifetime and is still light!
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 8:33:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Don’t over look the 43c.I’m thinking to pick up a second for my daughter. I own a 617 , 63 ,43c and 942 Taurus .. it’s hard to decide which one is my favorite. You will be served well with 63 if ccw not an option.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:05:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't have a 63 but I do have a 34. Great little guns. Trigger pull is stiffer than the bigger guns, so kids and adults alike tend to do single action.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 7:31:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I just picked up a 317, I’m tickled pink with it. I got it for a canoe/camping/hiking gun. Gnat’s ass accurate at 7 yards in single action, easily keep all 8 shots on a playing card.

Minute of raccoon at 25 yards, which is probably my limit of accuracy at that distance with a 3” barrel. Double action rapid fire drill at 7 yards was good even with a stout trigger pull.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 9:46:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Presently have two.  One is an older wooden gripped, stainless steel, six shot.  Three months ago, I picked up the eight shot, stainless steel plastic gripped model.  Ordered the speed loader and loading block, too.  I had to send that particular gun off to S&W for some forcing cone work as it was spitting lead right back at me.  They were really good about the matter and immediately sent me a return label.  Took 40 days from start to finish.  During the process they sent me an email with a repair work order number in case I had any questions.  I didn't bother them having confidence in the what they had to do.  I was correct and it now shoots great.  I'm not parting with either of them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top