Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2021 11:14:55 AM EDT
I’ve got a holster want I’ve been saying for some time that I’m looking to now fulfill sooner then later. I have wanted for some time a Milt Sparks summer special. I planned on a 1 and saw you can get the vintage type with single loop for a Commander. I was wondering if anyone used these and there thoughts? Figured since it’s 1911 specific I’d post here. Comparisons between the two would be quite welcome. Not sure if I should stick with the standard 2 loop or maybe change to the summer special II. As always photos are great.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 11:21:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Subscribed for answers.  I have a couple MS Summer Special 2s (one for a 5" 1911 and one for a G19.5) but they both have two loops.  I've wondered about the single loop for a while now, myself.  BTW, I love the SS2.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 11:32:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 11:36:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I like the 2 loops. I carry at 4 and I can sandwich the loop from my pants between the two holster loops. It will not rotate on my body during the day.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 11:50:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Ive never used the 1 loop but I like the SS2 for when I want to carry at 4oclock.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 1:03:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I have been looking for a SS II for my DW CCO Commander.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 1:05:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought a VM2  for a commander years ago used it a couple of times didn't like iwb carry it's been sitting in the box of unused holsters ever since.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 2:11:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought a used Summer Special II on E-Bay many years ago.

It quickly became my favorite holster.  I wore it a lot.

Eventually, the loop broke.  It gave me years of good service, and I suspect it had already given years of good service to its previous owner(s).

So, I am not complaining.  It was as traumatic a loss as anything I have ever suffered over a material object of minor value.

I bought a near clone, and it works well, maybe 90% as well, while costing less.

I really miss my Summer Special, and need to replace it to be holster happy.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 2:27:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Look at the executive companion as well.

Milt Sparks Executive Companion
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 2:47:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’ve been using the Milt Sparks Summer Special for over 20 years, I have them for almost every gun I may tote... plus a few others. I prefer the original Summer Special over the Summer Special 2 with the exception for large revolvers.

https://live.staticflickr.com/1919/30448183297_a8c9716289_c.jpg

Single loop vs. double loop... when properly anchored by a good belt the loops themselves aren’t doing much except insuring that the holster does not come out when you draw the gun. Even if you unsnap the loops you’ll see that the friction from the belt helps to keep the holster in place. The support of the holster is provided by the pants, which are in turn supported by the belt. That said, the double loop version does have the benefit of limiting the potential “twist” of the holster at least a little bit. I’ve worn both, I like the double loop version the best.
View Quote

Very nice, don't you collect vintage leather as well?

@JasonBurton which mag pouches do you prefer, the #17 or the S-4C?
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 3:30:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I’ve been using the Milt Sparks Summer Special for over 20 years, I have them for almost every gun I may tote... plus a few others. I prefer the original Summer Special over the Summer Special 2 with the exception for large revolvers.

Single loop vs. double loop... when properly anchored by a good belt the loops themselves aren’t doing much except insuring that the holster does not come out when you draw the gun. Even if you unsnap the loops you’ll see that the friction from the belt helps to keep the holster in place. The support of the holster is provided by the pants, which are in turn supported by the belt. That said, the double loop version does have the benefit of limiting the potential “twist” of the holster at least a little bit. I’ve worn both, I like the double loop version the best.
View Quote

Looks like quite a bit of fine leather and steel! One of these days I’ve got a government model needs to make a trip to see you!

I appreciate the info on double vs single loop. Hadn’t thought about the holster twisting. The 2 is more cant then the 1 if I read correctly.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 3:31:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I bought a VM2  for a commander years ago used it a couple of times didn't like iwb carry it's been sitting in the box of unused holsters ever since.
View Quote

Looks larger foot print then I desire. I’ve got a King Tuk Air which I like but wanting something smaller foot print.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 3:32:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Look at the executive companion as well.
View Quote

Will do!
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 3:36:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I bought a used Summer Special II on E-Bay many years ago.

It quickly became my favorite holster.  I wore it a lot.

Eventually, the loop broke.  It gave me years of good service, and I suspect it had already given years of good service to its previous owner(s).

So, I am not complaining.  It was as traumatic a loss as anything I have ever suffered over a material object of minor value.

I bought a near clone, and it works well, maybe 90% as well, while costing less.

I really miss my Summer Special, and need to replace it to be holster happy.
View Quote

You can purchase new loops for the Summer Special II holster.  They also come in different sizes for different belt widths.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 5:28:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I suggest you reread the forum rules.

Removed - SGB
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 5:31:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have been looking for a SS II for my DW CCO Commander.
View Quote

In stock!

https://www.miltsparks.com/store.php#
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 6:38:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why do you prefer the SSII for large revolvers?

Large Revolver Carrying Guy.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 6:39:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 6:43:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 10:25:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks Hydra-shokz.  Ordering one now.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 11:22:35 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a left hand Bruce Nelson Summer Special. It has a single loop and it does not move. Then again I have a heavy  tappered belt from him also.

My douple loop form Milt Spark holsters does seem to let you get by with a little less belt.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 12:36:15 PM EDT
[#21]
My SSII for my DW CCO Commander arrived yesterday. With that being said, my DW will be my EDC going forward.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 1:16:15 PM EDT
[#22]
it’s been years since i carried a 1911, but when i did, it was a SS2 with two loops and a solid belt

it worked very well
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top