Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2021 9:47:40 AM EDT
I have a project rattling around in my head and it requires knowing what series SS Taurus uses on their 44 revolvers. Specifically, Item Number: 2-440069. I called and got the usual "Proprietary Information" response.

If you're wondering why, I'd like to blacken all parts, myself. I do not wish to coat or send these parts out. Depending on who's Black Oxide (or other SS blackening kit) I choose, they vary depending on the series of stainless.

For any who've done/attempted this, would you care to share your results?

Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 9:51:35 AM EDT
[#1]
It's probably an alloy close to 304. Since it is stainless I would cerakote and not attempt any form of black oxide or bluing. I have not found blackening SS to be very durable.

Only way to know 100% is to get it mass spectrum tested. There are handheld ones, and a metal recycling facility in your area probably had a handheld one. Call around, and see if you can find a place that has a handheld unit.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:24:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:It's probably an alloy close to 304.
View Quote

304??
I would've first leaned toward 410,416,436,630, etc. Never heard of a barrel being made from 304.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 12:07:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

304??
I would've first leaned toward 410,416,436,630, etc. Never heard of a barrel being made from 304.
View Quote

Pre coffee brain fart and poor reading comprehension..

I would bet it's a alloy similar to 416r.....

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top