Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2023 9:02:11 PM EDT
Wanted a Max-9, am a Ruger fan and the pistol fits my hand very well, but this pistol has been getting trash reviews. Saw one cheap w a coupon and some points I had - Picked it up. Initial impressions out of the box - Feels pretty good, not as rattly as I was expecting. Outstanding front sight, one of the best out of the box. Takedown is a little annoying having to take out the pin. Am a little worried about the door that houses the takedown pin, it feels a little thin. Pistol presents very well for me. About the same size as Sig 365 (see 365 on-top of the max below). Mounting system for red dot is super easy. Will report back on some range time.

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 7:23:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been carrying once about 9 months I have about 1500 rounds trough it.  I do live fire shooting about once a month and between 100-200 rounds per session. I have both 10 and 12 round magazines
Shortly after I got the pistol I was having issues with the magazine randomly dropping out while firing it.  Called Ruger  they sent new  mag release and spring. I replaced the mag release and still was getting magazine dropping out. Ended up sending it to Ruger on their dime,  they got it back to me fast. The repair notes said they replaced the entire frame and shot it 500 times. I have not had issue since it came back. The pistol is breaking in nicely and very accurate at  normal self defense ranges.
I do agree with you on the goofy takedown door I would much prefer the take down pin from the lcp series or even a double headed screw system. I find the slide release to be too small to get a grip and use it to drop the slide. I wish they put the  sights with the glow dots they sell on it from the factory and offered the black out sights as the  optional rear sights.  I wish they offered a 380 acp  conversion kit for it
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 8:34:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Hi All,
I'm interested in it's ability to shoot a group, I had a security 9 that was horrible. TIA
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:23:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Rob I was just at the range today for the first time, it groups fine but shot low for me, about 4/5 inches at 10 yards. Gun ran fine no hiccups. Not sure if it’s getting used to sight picture (am a Glock guy) or the gun. I’ll give it another few trips see how does. If I can’t solve shooting low will ping Ruger see where it goes. Really like the feel of it tho
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 10:27:38 PM EDT
[#4]
@LewisMeriwether
Thanks for the report, I got mine Thursday and fired about 4 magazines. It ran well but shot low too. I was shooting some older W-W white box so, who knows. I have been dry firing to get used to the trigger and hopefully smooth it out. I'm basically happy with it and would like it to be on at longer ranges. I'll be getting it out again next week and do need more practice.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 7:59:49 PM EDT
[#5]
@robmkivseries70

Agree - Am happy w mine. Am coming to the conclusion after another range trip that I just have to get used to shooting the gun and its not mechanically low. Just used to the Glock grip angle… Glad you are enjoying.

Also somewhat interested in putting a Ruger Readydot on it…
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 2:18:02 PM EDT
[#6]
My LGS has them on sale for $269.   Thinking about picking one up.  Do you know the mounting pattern?  Holosun K?
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 4:42:14 PM EDT
[#7]
rmsc pattern, its not a carry gun for me, am a ruger fan and kind of thought it was a neat piece of their history paired w the ready dot

Link Posted: 6/2/2023 8:16:42 PM EDT
[#8]
How do you like the ready dot?  It looks interesting.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 6:12:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I think its neat for $100 - No batteries is pretty cool. Theres a lot of hate in this forum on it, but if it works effectively up to 20 yards i dont see what the issue is. The dot strength is definitely commensurate with the amount of light inputing into it. Not sure of the ‘tactical application’, but its a cool dot. Will put some range reports in after getting it out.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 1:08:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I have had the max 9 since it came out. It’s a good shooter. You do need to clean it regularly. After a good cleaning that might just do the trick for you. But sometimes the ammo I’ve used from Cabelas the Herters brand shoots way high or way low. I found out that Winchester ultimately owns the brand but it’s not regulated the same at all the places it’s loaded. It varies from box to box. So if it’s loaded from Winchester then there’s higher quality and I’m on target but sometimes it’s like literally more than 6” off. It has done that to me in other guns too to confirm it. So while it is cheaper to buy I have stopped purchasing it. Also, for me I have the CT laser guard on mine. The red dot thing is cool but in a high stress situation I don’t want to be playing “where’s my dot?” Also imagine being in a movie theater or something underneath a seat and having to fire from a position where you can’t get into position to line up your red dot. with a laser, you can stay behind cover/concealment and still see your laser on the target. And not for nothing but it is also intimidating to see a laser on someone. If it helped you de-escalate the threat and to not even have to fire your gun that’s a win. Just saying.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top