Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2021 8:07:52 PM EDT
Got a gen1 full size 9mm that isn't meeting my accuracy requirements. Least accurate of all my pistols. Looking to replace the barrel with something significantly more accurate.  

Considering the Apex tactical, but I know it requires fitting. Are there any other decent options for improved accuracy?
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 8:46:59 PM EDT
[#1]
AFAIK, the APEX is the only one that actually improves accuracy.
The reason for the inaccuracy is due to the early unlocking of the barrel, this can only pretty much be solved by the semi-fit nature of the APEX barrel.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 9:08:45 PM EDT
[#2]
The fitting isn’t that difficult. But the jig and file and do it yourself after watching the videos online.  I am super impressed with my 2.0 after replacing the barrel and I don’t get super impressed with much these days.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 7:43:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The fitting isn’t that difficult. But the jig and file and do it yourself after watching the videos online.  I am super impressed with my 2.0 after replacing the barrel and I don’t get super impressed with much these days.
View Quote

Same here.  The Apex file to fit barrel made a really noticeable improvement in groups in my 2.0 5" 9MM.

I've bought barrels from other companies that didn't make the M&Ps shoot better.  Only the Apex (only bought the one) worked to improve one of my full sized M&Ps.

Maybe I got lucky on mine, I only had to remove a little metal from the rear of the barrel hood.  My 2.0 is sloppy enough inside that no contact is made up front or farther back on the barrel.

OP, I think I understand your "need" for nice groups.  I've sunk some money into my M&Ps trying to make them shoot better.

One more thing, OP.  Don't know if it holds true for the 1.0's or your 1.0, but the best shooting ammo I've found for my 2.0 5" 9MM is the Winchester 124 grain FMJ NATO ammo.  I've been trying to load up some 124 grain hollow points with a similar velocity but haven't found the right powder/bullet yet to get me there.  If you can find some, give it a try.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 9:31:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Same here.  The Apex file to fit barrel made a really noticeable improvement in groups in my 2.0 5" 9MM.

I've bought barrels from other companies that didn't make the M&Ps shoot better.  Only the Apex (only bought the one) worked to improve one of my full sized M&Ps.

Maybe I got lucky on mine, I only had to remove a little metal from the rear of the barrel hood.  My 2.0 is sloppy enough inside that no contact is made up front or farther back on the barrel.

OP, I think I understand your "need" for nice groups.  I've sunk some money into my M&Ps trying to make them shoot better.

One more thing, OP.  Don't know if it holds true for the 1.0's or your 1.0, but the best shooting ammo I've found for my 2.0 5" 9MM is the Winchester 124 grain FMJ NATO ammo.  I've been trying to load up some 124 grain hollow points with a similar velocity but haven't found the right powder/bullet yet to get me there.  If you can find some, give it a try.
View Quote

Maybe I got lucky, or the compact is a different beast, but I have been satisfied with the accuracy of my 9C. Even outshot a few HK's and Sigs at a local class in an impromptu competition. Only reason I would swap my barrel would be to run a threaded barrel with a comp.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 9:35:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Maybe I got lucky, or the compact is a different beast, but I have been satisfied with the accuracy of my 9C. Even outshot a few HK's and Sigs at a local class in an impromptu competition. Only reason I would swap my barrel would be to run a threaded barrel with a comp.
View Quote

Standard experience, the 1.0 9c typically shoots much better than the 1.0 9fs.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 10:42:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Get the Apex SDI. There’s no point in buying a different drop in barrel.

I have 5 semi drop in barrels. All are great.

Link Posted: 6/10/2021 7:24:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

We have two 1.0 9MM Shields that outshoot my full sized 1.0 and 2.0 9MM and .40 M&Ps.  Seems crazy to me that a tiny pistol like that would outshoot the full sized guns but both of them do.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 8:28:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
AFAIK, the APEX is the only one that actually improves accuracy.
The reason for the inaccuracy is due to the early unlocking of the barrel, this can only pretty much be solved by the semi-fit nature of the APEX barrel.
View Quote

That's what I figured. Looks like an Apex barrel is in my future.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 3:48:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

We have two 1.0 9MM Shields that outshoot my full sized 1.0 and 2.0 9MM and .40 M&Ps.  Seems crazy to me that a tiny pistol like that would outshoot the full sized guns but both of them do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow.  I have had many days where I have shot better with my shield vs a 1.0 FS.  I wondered how that could be.  Never thought it could be the mechanical accuracy of the barrel.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 3:40:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Been thinking of getting an APEX barrel for me 1.0FS. Accuracy is good enough for combat type shooting but it's nowhere near as accurate as my 2.0FS.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 5:54:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Not sure if any still remain, but Agency Arms had some 'blemished' barrels on their website for under 130$... I ended up with a pile of them for several M&P variants.
All were vast improvements on stock accuracy.

The only blemish I could find was a tool mark or two in non-critical places.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 12:25:09 PM EDT
[#12]
KKM
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 2:28:34 AM EDT
[#13]
I haven't experienced any accuracy issues with my FS 1.0 .40

Apex does seem to be the go to for S&W upgrades
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 10:38:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Op, I have very gently used storm lake I think, m&p 9mm barrel just laying around.
Wanna try that and if it works, we could work something reasonable out?
It prolly doesn't have 200 rounds fired through it.
Non threaded, standard length.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top