Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2022 4:48:07 AM EDT
I don't own a .40 cal pistol. I noticed these trade-ins below. Is that a good price, or should I look elsewhere?

https://aimsurplus.com/le-trade-in-dept-marked-smith-wesson-m-p40-40s-w-handgun/

Link Posted: 4/9/2022 4:53:22 AM EDT
[#1]
That’s a good price but the sights may need replacement.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 5:22:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That’s a good price but the sights may need replacement.
View Quote

Figure any Tritium has lost it's glow, but you can (A) Shoot it as "regular" steel sights or (B) Buy a replacement set of Tritiums & get your Glow Back On

You'd best use a sight pusher to get them off & back on.  S&W has a spring loaded plunger that is held down by the rear sight, so trying to hold the slide, hold a hammer / mallet to tap the sights, hold the sights & hold down the detent against spring pressure takes more hands than most people have...

But a Detroit PD S&W will let you feel your "Robo-Cop" groove for sure!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 6:00:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 9:32:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought a trade-in M&P .40 from AIM several years ago.  A little finish wear, otherwise fine.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 4:30:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
OP has never looked in their industry forum

AIMsurplus is beyond GTG
View Quote

Thanks. I'll have to check it out.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 4:38:05 PM EDT
[#6]
The M&P .45 trade-in I had was solid, as was one a friend got.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:59:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I’ve had a trade in M&P40 for several years.  

I swapped the sights for Ameriglos and I replaced the recoil spring.

I’ve put around 2K rounds through it and it’s been a solid, reliable pistol.

ETA: I paid $279 on clearance sale for mine, so the current AIM price is very good for 2022.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 7:02:57 AM EDT
[#8]
I purchased an LE trade in a couple years ago that was never issued, or fired. I believe it was passed over because it had the worst trigger I have ever come across. The night sights are still strong to this day. I paid $350 for it back then. An Apex forward sear trigger fixed it and has an amazing 3.5 pound pull, took a little getting used to as you would double tap it from time to time.

If you can pick one up for under $350 in these times it's a good deal, and mags are cheap and plentiful.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 2:41:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I purchased an LE trade in a couple years ago that was never issued, or fired. I believe it was passed over because it had the worst trigger I have ever come across. The night sights are still strong to this day. I paid $350 for it back then. An Apex forward sear trigger fixed it and has an amazing 3.5 pound pull, took a little getting used to as you would double tap it from time to time.

If you can pick one up for under $350 in these times it's a good deal, and mags are cheap and plentiful.
View Quote

The 3.5 pound trigger must be nice but I think I'd be apprehensive going that light on a model that doesn't have a thumb safety.

Are OEM mags cheap and plentiful?

I know ETS makes aftermarket mags for the M&P. Magpul does not, however.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 2:43:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

ETA: I paid $279 on clearance sale for mine, so the current AIM price is very good for 2022.
View Quote

I'm guessing part of the reason the price is good for 2022 is the .40 round losing popularity.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 3:34:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm guessing part of the reason the price is good for 2022 is the .40 round losing popularity.
View Quote

PDs will buy whatever they can get the best deal on/whoever offers the most value for their trade ins.  I knew a local Law Enforcement supplier that did a deal with Tacoma PD for 500 new AR15s, and bought 300+ PD trade in mini14s for $200ea, credited towards the new AR purchase. There was nothing wrong with the Mini14s, they just weren't AR15s. Some of the Minis were unfired , brand new with a brass rack tag screwed to the stock.

$14 mags:  https://aimsurplus.com/smith-wesson-m-p40-40s-w-357-sig-15rd-magazine/

Buy a factory 9mm barrel and some 9mm mags and shoot 9mm in it.
https://gregcotellc.com/cart/smith-wesson-magazines-c-108/actmag-sw-mp9-sw-mp9-20-9mm-17-rd-full-size-mpb917-49176-p-1348.html
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004410793

The price is right for a decent pistol that you dont care if it gets scuffed by your holster. Its not a $2500 safe queen, its a $350 working gun with honest wear on it, that goes bang every time.
Spend the extra money you saved over buying new on a mags/ammo/decent holster.

.40 will work just fine if you can put rounds on target. Converting a .40 cal  M&P or Glock to 9mm is a non issue.  

Link Posted: 4/12/2022 3:45:07 AM EDT
[#12]

Will the springs on those surplus mags need to be replaced soon?
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 4:17:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same - purchased a couple & they have been fine shooters.

Nice thing about the .40 M&P is you can get a 'conversion' 9mm barrel & with only a swap of that barrel & a 9mm magazine then shoot 9mm too.

I've seen people shoot 9mm using a stock 9mm M&P barrel and while it works, the accuracy is not ideal.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 4:19:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Doubt it - Modern Made Magazines from a reputable company like S&W will last a VERY long time in use.

I'd be more concerned about swapping in a fresh recoil spring (inexpensive) than worry about magazine springs.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 8:10:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Some may very well need it.  I have purchased around 20 of the AIM surplus .40 trade in mags.  I have found 4 that needed new springs.

I bought a pack of 10 Wolff +10% extra power mag doings for $47.  At $5 a spring it’s cheap to swap out on mags that show feed issues. No mag I’ve bought that had feed issues continued to have any problems after a spring change.

I’ve also purchased 50-to-9 conversion barrels for all my M&P40s.  I grabbed Storm Lake barrels when Midway was blowing them out.  I also bought a bunch of trade in M&P9 mags when they errr on the market.  

It’s a good setup.  I did change out the baseplates to a different color on my 9mm mags so I can check the barrel hood then verify proper mag is being used.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 7:32:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a line on M&P40 trade ins for under $200 locally but I’m all 9mm, zero desire to get a .40. When I factor in a conversion barrel at $150+, it doesn’t make much sense unfortunately.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 7:57:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have a line on M&P40 trade ins for under $200 locally but I’m all 9mm, zero desire to get a .40. When I factor in a conversion barrel at $150+, it doesn’t make much sense unfortunately.
View Quote

A factory 9mm barrel is drop in, $80 new from midway if you can't find find a used $50 one on the EE
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 9:22:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Where are they? What kind of shape are they in?
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 9:50:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Same - purchased a couple & they have been fine shooters.

Nice thing about the .40 M&P is you can get a 'conversion' 9mm barrel & with only a swap of that barrel & a 9mm magazine then shoot 9mm too.

I've seen people shoot 9mm using a stock 9mm M&P barrel and while it works, the accuracy is not ideal.

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote

I'm not sure about the M&P but on the glocks if you get,say,a 9mm conversion barrel for your 23 or 22 to turn it into a 19 or 17--you should also get an ejector for 9MM.

the .40 ejector is straight but the 9 is curved.

also,AIM is a good company but it is luck of the draw for police tradeins.usually,you'll get a really nice piece but sometimes you get a well used one.

case in point--my 1st purchase police tradein was a p226 in .40.it was WELL worn and only in fair-good condition.
however,the glock 23 i got was pristine and in like new condition.

Link Posted: 4/12/2022 10:40:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:...also,AIM is a good company but it is luck of the draw for police tradeins.usually,you'll get a really nice piece but sometimes you get a well used one.

case in point--my 1st purchase police tradein was a p226 in .40.it was WELL worn and only in fair-good condition.

View Quote

Was the p226 worn just cosmetically or both that and internally?
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 2:17:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

PD trade-in pistols normally have a lot of holster wear from being carried daily for a few years. Depending on the specific dept and individual officer it was issued to, it may have only been fired 50-100 rounds once a year for annual quals, or shot 500 rounds weekly because the officer it was issued like shooting the dept's ammo for free. Some cops never shoot, some love to shoot for free, some depts provide free ammo anytime, and some only provide it once a month or year for the minimum range time etc.

Ive got a Detroit PD M&P40 that has holster wear and was dirty, but doesn't appear it was shot a lot. Ive got a PD trade-in 2tone Sig 229 9mm that has holster wear but is like new internally, no idea if it was ever shot beyond a test fire. Pretty sure Ive fired it more than it did in it's PD service life.

PD trade-ins are working guns, they're used and meant to be used. They range from new, unfired to well used and need a new set of springs
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 9:45:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'm not sure about the M&P but on the glocks if you get,say,a 9mm conversion barrel for your 23 or 22 to turn it into a 19 or 17--you should also get an ejector for 9MM.

the .40 ejector is straight but the 9 is curved.

also,AIM is a good company but it is luck of the draw for police tradeins.usually,you'll get a really nice piece but sometimes you get a well used one.

View Quote

Their is no appreciable difference in the M&P ejectors, certainly not enough to effect function.  

I have a 1.0 and 2.0 M&P40.  I picked up Storm Lake conversion barrels for each.  I’ve run many hundreds of 9mm rounds through each with zero issues.  

A M&P40 pistol with the correct 40-to-9 conversion barrel plus sone 9mm magazines (you can’t use 40 mags for 9mm) converts into a reliable 9mm M&P with simply a barrel and mag swap.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 9:48:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

At that price, I’d grab one, maybe two.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 10:32:49 AM EDT
[#24]
No way in hell. A brand new 2.0 is $100 more.
$100 more HERE
$130 more HERE

Used and abused 1.0’s are $225 guns at very best. The whole point of a police trade in is to save a lot of money. At $320 you’re just kinda screwing yourself.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 2:24:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Their is no appreciable difference in the M&P ejectors, certainly not enough to effect function.  

I have a 1.0 and 2.0 M&P40.  I picked up Storm Lake conversion barrels for each.  I’ve run many hundreds of 9mm rounds through each with zero issues.  

A M&P40 pistol with the correct 40-to-9 conversion barrel plus sone 9mm magazines (you can’t use 40 mags for 9mm) converts into a reliable 9mm M&P with simply a barrel and mag swap.
View Quote

Unlike Glocks , you don't need a "conversion" barrel to switch from 40 to 9mm, a factory 9mm barrel works.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 3:01:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Unlike Glocks , you don't need a "conversion" barrel to switch from 40 to 9mm, a factory 9mm barrel works.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are right that a regular barrel will function.  I’ve found the 40 to 9 conversion barrels are generally higher quality barrels.  

All of my aftermarket conversion barrels are better shooters than da Tory barrels.  How much of this is due to better match on external dimensions, and how much is due to a better barrel I don’t know.

I shoot enough that the price difference will quickly become lost in the ammo costs.  

And my last conversion barrels were Midway clearance so as cheap as a factory barrel
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 7:00:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:...also,AIM is a good company but it is luck of the draw for police tradeins.usually,you'll get a really nice piece but sometimes you get a well used one.

here's a couple of pics.i traded it off for a M&P spec series NIB + $200
i added about 7 mags and a holster.

anodizing was worn on the aluminum frame to shiny bare metal and the barrel was shot a LOT.there were gouges on the outside of the barrel that you could feel with your hands.5-10 thou. i would say.
shot good and had the grips for smaller hands like mine.

p.s. both guns i got the tritium was dead.

Link Posted: 4/13/2022 7:07:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

anodizing was worn on the aluminum frame to shiny bare metal and the barrel was shot a LOT.there were gouges on the outside of the barrel that you could feel with your hands.5-10 thou. i would say.

https://i.imgur.com/n26vYrO.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/4Wpk57I.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/cBEeW1z.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow.  That's not just holster wear.  That pistol was shot a LOT.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 7:12:12 PM EDT
[#29]
yup thats why i wasn't really thrilled when i got it.it came (AFAIK) in a padded envelope to the FFL.
so don't expect a box and protected.

i don't remember how the glock came but i think the same way.the glock gen 3 23 was mint and $299--wow!!!.so into my hot little hands about tree-fiddy!!!

Link Posted: 4/13/2022 7:20:52 PM EDT
[#30]
I hate AIM.  They drain my wallet with their delectable wares.

Link Posted: 4/13/2022 7:25:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a REASON for conversion barrels.

The rear slide face is slightly wider on a factory M&P .40 slide Vs. a factory 9mm M&P slide.

If you put a factory 9mm barrel intp a .40 slide, the rear of the barrel can slide slightly side to side in the closed slide because it is slightly undersized in the rear width at the back (Vs. .40 S&W barrel).

A proper CONVERSION barrel will have 9mm bore, but the rear width of the chamber is wider (.40 S&W width) to as to prevent 'slop & wiggle' which increases accuracy when shooting 9mm.

While You CAN shoot 9mm in a .40 S&W M&P with swapping in only a factory 9mm barrel + 9mm magazine, - the ACCURACY will NOT be optimal.

If it were TEOTWAWKI - then at close range, maybe it won't matter.  But then again ... ... ...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 10:13:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
$100 more HERE
$130 more HERE

Used and abused 1.0’s are $225 guns at very best. The whole point of a police trade in is to save a lot of money. At $320 you’re just kinda screwing yourself.
View Quote

I'm genuinely surprised that Bud's has such good pricing on M&Ps
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 10:15:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

The frame rails actually look pretty good on that. I’d bet less than 2K rounds through it. Tons of wear otherwise and I’m not sure what’s going on with that barrel, but the parts that count are pretty decent looking.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:21:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$100 more HERE
$130 more HERE

The one he posted is a 9mm. The .40 version is more money.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 7:38:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The one he posted is a 9mm. The .40 version is more money.
View Quote

Ah my bad. With the talk of conversion barrels I had assumed you were only getting it in 40 because that was all that was available.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 9:24:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

A factory 9mm barrel is drop in, $80 new from midway if you can't find find a used $50 one on the EE
View Quote

I have an extra OEM M&P9 barrel but as BigHammer explained, that’s not ideal. And considering the Buds price on a 2.0, it’s not that great of a value if you have to buy a conversion barrel.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 2:00:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I have an extra OEM M&P9 barrel but as BigHammer explained, that’s not ideal. And considering the Buds price on a 2.0, it’s not that great of a value if you have to buy a conversion barrel.
View Quote

I dont think OP said he wanted a 9mm barrel, but that's the route these conversations take because most people want to shoot 9mm because its cheaper.  

On the M&P, the barrel doesn't lock up side to side. Yes the rear "tang" on the .40 barrel is wider than the 9mm version, it prevents you from installing a .40 barrel in a 9mm slide. There may be other reasons it was designed that way, but that's the most obvious one.  You can see daylight through the sides of the OEM barrel tang when its in battery with both a .40 in a .40 slide and a 9 in a 9mm slide.  The barrel locks up on the front and back of the barrel hood where it engages the slide and breech face. Those dimensions are the same in both 9mm and .40

If your barrel moves/wiggles/wobbles while its fully in battery, then your barrel , or slide, or recoil spring are bad and need to be replaced. There should not be any side to side movement while its in battery.

OEM barrels might not be match grade accurate, and if that's why you want a different barrel, by all means do what you want. If you just want the comfort of knowing that the tang on your conversion barrel fills up more of the slot on the breech face, there's nothing wrong with that either. It just isn't necessary to buy a conversion barrel for the M&P40 to be able to shoot 9mm with a 40 slide,  nor is it less accurate, nor is it dangerous.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top