Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2022 10:29:48 PM EDT
EDIT:. Got word from S&W. They do not recommend a RDS on the M&P22 pistol.    Specific reason is the added weight can upset the slide action and induce malfunctions.    

Is anyone running a red dot on their M&P 22 pistol?    I've used the Outer Impact plate for my M&P9 bit it's not compatible with the .22 version.    Are there any other options other than milling the slide?

If anyone does use a red dot, does the weight of the RDS change how the slide cycles?     I plan on running a suppressor which should help overcome the added weight.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 10:50:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I run a Romeo 5 and mine is suppressed.
Functions perfectly but I did have to change the extractor to a different extractor to fine tune it.

https://volquartsen.com/inventory_configurations/996

ETA Sorry, I saw M&P pistol and just thought ar15-22. Guess I need more coffee this morning.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 6:34:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Judging from the lack of replies,  I'm going to guess not many people are using a RDS on the M&P22 pistol.

I did find a company called EGW that makes a plate that will fit the M&P22.    Even their site specifically says using their plate and a RDS could add enough weight to the slide that will cause cycling issues.

I have emailed Smith and Wesson to see if this is something they have done or would even recommend doing.    I will make a follow-up post when I get an answer from S&W.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 2:16:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Judging from the lack of replies,  I'm going to guess not many people are using a RDS on the M&P22 pistol.

I did find a company called EGW that makes a plate that will fit the M&P22.    Even their site specifically says using their plate and a RDS could add enough weight to the slide that will cause cycling issues.

I have emailed Smith and Wesson to see if this is something they have done or would even recommend doing.    I will make a follow-up post when I get an answer from S&W.
View Quote

You didn't specify M&P22 full size or Compact, but I'm running a Burris FF3 on my M&P22 Compact (using one of the EGW mounts) with no problems.  

Pay no attention to the giant rubber protector.

I run mostly CCI MiniMags through it without issue.

I'd like to find a mount for the Holosun 407K, which I think would be even better, size-wise.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 10:42:03 AM EDT
[#4]
you could at least try it. use a rear slide mount. try a romeo zero which is very light if you run a suppressor that increased back pressure might help it cycle. high vel ammo might help too. if it wont run. you might could have some of the slide milled with windows to get it closer to factory weight. course then you run the risk of cracking your slide....
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 6:33:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Update:

I found a mount at EGW for my Holosun HS407K.  You just have to file down/mill the rear pins (I drilled them completely out).  Slid into the slide without problem.

I had no problem with the FF3, but figured I had to switch to the Holosun because...smaller.  The damn thing is tiny by comparison.

Looks great. Haven't shot it yet.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 11:40:52 AM EDT
[#6]
SO i picked up the $99 red dot deal last week. gonna try it on my my M&P22. first i weighed the optic, then found a piece of metal that was about the same weight and taped it onto the top rear of the slide to see if it would cycle. with federal bulk, the first few rounds in the mags did chamber but once i was down into the mag it seems to work better. Then i tried CCI SV and that worked much better. also tried Rem thunderbolts with good results. so i when ahead and ordered a Amazon red dot mount that slides into the rear notch. will try it out and report back.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 8:59:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Installed. Tested some various ammo for you in my video

Smith & Wesson M&P22 + RITON RDS shooting review/test

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top