Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2020 5:08:34 PM EDT
Hive thoughts?  Issues? Reliability?  Or is there something better?    

I know it only comes with 10 round mags, but I've seen a larger factory capacity mag for it.  Can't seem to find any info on Smith's website.  

This will be a plinker for the kids to use and get accustomed to shooting unsuppressed and suppressed.  Hand size is important.  No Beretta size grips.    

Link Posted: 4/11/2020 5:15:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one. It's not bad, but it's not great... I was hoping it would be more accurate. I get about a 4" group at 5 yards when I can have all holes touching with my m&p 2.0 9c at that distance. On the other hand, I have yet to have a failure to fire, even with crappy bulk pack ammo...
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 6:46:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hive thoughts?  Issues? Reliability?  Or is there something better?    

I know it only comes with 10 round mags, but I've seen a larger factory capacity mag for it.  Can't seem to find any info on Smith's website.  

This will be a plinker for the kids to use and get accustomed to shooting unsuppressed and suppressed.  Hand size is important.  No Beretta size grips.    

View Quote

There is no factory larger capacity magazine for the 22 Compact.  There are aftermarket kits that replace the follower and/or the baseplate to give you more rounds, but there is no factory higher cap mag.

The gun is reliable as hammer.  It runs and runs, even on bulk-pak ammo. It's accurate enough for anything but target work (I've never had the poor groups mentioned above).  I use them as the "issue gun" for my NRA Basic Pistol course.

I have 6 of them, with a large round count and never a problem.

They're great suppressor hosts, too.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 7:25:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Ruger SR22P is in the same class and way more accurate.

The 22C is decidedly not accurate.

Both are nice kids guns or for small womenettes.  Both are 100% reliable with CCI MiniMags or CCI Blazer.  Federal AutoMatch is weak in the SR22, but is 100% in a man’s hand in the 22C.  In a kid or weak woman’s hand, the 22C starts to short stroke with AutoMatch.

A Ruger 22/45 Lite is the same weight and vastly more accurate.  Dependable with the CCI ammo.

The 22/45 Lite is by far a better gun than either, at, of course, the price of both little ones.

Most fun is the Beretta 92 series .22s and the Colt 1911 .22s.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 9:42:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Both are nice kids guns or for small womenettes.  Both are 100% reliable with CCI MiniMags or CCI Blazer.  Federal AutoMatch is weak in the SR22, but is 100% in a man’s hand in the 22C.  In a kid or weak woman’s hand, the 22C starts to short stroke with AutoMatch.

A Ruger 22/45 Lite is the same weight and vastly more accurate.  Dependable with the CCI ammo.

The 22/45 Lite is by far a better gun than either, at, of course, the price of both little ones.

View Quote

Lots of opinion here, presented as fact.

"The 22C is decidedly not accurate."  Somehow that's a quantifiable fact?  What is "accurate?"  I have no problems with all the accuracy of the gun(s), especially given the 3.56" barrel.  Add to the fact that the safety works like every other gun in the world, as opposed to the "up is fire, down is safe" SR22, and the choice becomes even more clear.  And even more clear when you realize there's no larger-caliber analog to the SR22, like there is with the M&P family.

"Federal AutoMatch is weak in the SR22, but is 100% in a man’s hand in the 22C.  In a kid or weak woman’s hand, the 22C starts to short stroke with AutoMatch."  This statement is not only unsupportable, but just ridiculous on its face.  It not only assumes kids and "weak women" somehow can't hold the gun firmly, it also reaches a conclusion based on some small sample size of anecdotal evidence.

Although it's not surprising coming from the guy that preaches the only way to make the 380 EZ work is to chop up the followers, and is annoyed that S&W ignores his "engineering."

The 22/45 is an excellent weapon; I have 3, and I'm a fan, but comparing the tube-and-bolt receiver to a regular slide/frame design is apples and oranges, especially for new shooters, or shooters looking to move up to other guns.

OP, take from someone who puts thousands of rounds through half a dozen 22C's every year, and run regular classes of new shooters (including kids and "weak women"), you won't regret a M&P 22C.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 10:00:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the inputs.  This will join a M&P 15-22, so ammo will have to work in both.  Including bulk.  Regular CCI Stingers, Bulk Federal, and Aguila Super extra 22 Hi velocity.  By accurate, I mean <2" at 15 yards.  
By larger capacity, I have seen the 22 fullsize magazine.  Will those work in the compact?
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 11:34:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I have one. It is a great and super reliable 22lr.

That said. I don't shoot it much. Because I am always shooting the MKIV threaded target with the Volquartsen accuracy kit.

I would not hesitate to get the M&P 22 COMPACT for a second.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 3:34:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Got one.

Not very accurate.
Poor quality barrel.
Squishy trigger.

Reliable and handy size.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 7:42:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I have one. It's OK. POI shifts so much with a suppressor attached that it's completely worthless for that task. Un-suppressed the accuracy isn't bad, but it's not great. Has a great ambi safety.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 7:56:31 AM EDT
[#9]
The internet being what it is, I probably should write ScottS off as excessively vitriolic late in the evening of KungFlu times, but well, somethings need an answer if too gratuitously unpleasant.  Expand the quote.  

Quoted:

Lots of opinion here, presented as fact. Having and using all five .22s mentioned, fact/opinion is a shorthand observation of using those five 1-2 cases of .22LR a year.  I never use second line ammo, Blazer being inexpensive enough.  I would call it reporting observations.

"The 22C is decidedly not accurate."  Somehow that's a quantifiable fact?  What is "accurate?"  I have no problems with all the accuracy of the gun(s), especially given the 3.56" barrel.   Of the five mentioned, the 22C is the least accurate and produces 25 yard benched 10 shot groups 1.5 to 2 times the size of the other guns.

Add to the fact that the safety works like every other gun in the world, as opposed to the "up is fire, down is safe" SR22, and the choice becomes even more clear.  And even more clear when you realize there's no larger caliber analog to the SR22, like there is with the M&P family. The SR22 lever is a decocker on the frame.  Like a SIG or a Walther.  You can like it or not like it, but it works and you can see the hammer.  The 22C compared to a no safety MP9 2.0 is about equally disconnected feature wise.

"Federal AutoMatch is weak in the SR22, but is 100% in a man’s hand in the 22C.  In a kid or weak woman’s hand, the 22C starts to short stroke with AutoMatch."  This statement is not only unsupportable, but just ridiculous on its face.  It not only assumes kids and "weak women" somehow can't hold the gun firmly, it also reaches a conclusion based on some small sample size of anecdotal evidence. AutoMatch is a slower than High Speed .22LR.  Observationally, in a clean SR22, the action cycles slower, but works with AutoMatch whether kids or guys shoot it.  The AutoMatch in a 22C has generated the ONLY failures to cycle the 22C has ever experienced.  The cycle failures were all short strokes in a kid’s or woman’s hand.  Absent hand/arm weight and a firm grip, AutoMatch is marginal in the 22C.  The 22C has never failed to function with MiniMags or Blazer.

Although it's not surprising coming from the guy that preaches the only way to make the 380 EZ work is to chop up the followers, and is annoyed that S&W ignores his "engineering." This seems a bit vitriolic, but so what.  Some but not all 380EZ’s eject the last loaded round out of the magazine along with the second to last fired case.  The follower mod simply keeps the last round in the magazine until the slide chambers it.  Springs and new followers do not fix the ones than lose the last round as soon as the new spring weakens slightly.  Since you read the thread, the height reduction of the mag release is the really hard one to understand until you lay a 380EZ down on the wrong side and the mag pops out or it pops out while in a holster.  

The 22/45 is an excellent weapon; I have 3, and I'm a fan, but comparing the tube-and-bolt receiver to a regular slide/frame design is apples and oranges, especially for new shooters, or shooters looking to move up to other guns. Steel 22/45s are heavy.  Steel or aluminum, you have to be specific. 22/45 Lites are a gem.  And they work.

OP, take from someone who puts thousands of rounds through half a dozen 22C's every year, and run regular classes of new shooters (including kids and "weak women"), you won't regret a M&P 22C?    This all said, next week I am taking a new shooter out with his MP9 2.0 no safety.  The 22C will get shot first.  They are certainly good enough for familiarity and initial shooting.  Brand name sameness even though it has a safety is the main reason. Useable, but not the best. .
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lots of opinion here, presented as fact. Having and using all five .22s mentioned, fact/opinion is a shorthand observation of using those five 1-2 cases of .22LR a year.  I never use second line ammo, Blazer being inexpensive enough.  I would call it reporting observations.

"The 22C is decidedly not accurate."  Somehow that's a quantifiable fact?  What is "accurate?"  I have no problems with all the accuracy of the gun(s), especially given the 3.56" barrel.   Of the five mentioned, the 22C is the least accurate and produces 25 yard benched 10 shot groups 1.5 to 2 times the size of the other guns.

Add to the fact that the safety works like every other gun in the world, as opposed to the "up is fire, down is safe" SR22, and the choice becomes even more clear.  And even more clear when you realize there's no larger caliber analog to the SR22, like there is with the M&P family. The SR22 lever is a decocker on the frame.  Like a SIG or a Walther.  You can like it or not like it, but it works and you can see the hammer.  The 22C compared to a no safety MP9 2.0 is about equally disconnected feature wise.

"Federal AutoMatch is weak in the SR22, but is 100% in a man’s hand in the 22C.  In a kid or weak woman’s hand, the 22C starts to short stroke with AutoMatch."  This statement is not only unsupportable, but just ridiculous on its face.  It not only assumes kids and "weak women" somehow can't hold the gun firmly, it also reaches a conclusion based on some small sample size of anecdotal evidence. AutoMatch is a slower than High Speed .22LR.  Observationally, in a clean SR22, the action cycles slower, but works with AutoMatch whether kids or guys shoot it.  The AutoMatch in a 22C has generated the ONLY failures to cycle the 22C has ever experienced.  The cycle failures were all short strokes in a kid’s or woman’s hand.  Absent hand/arm weight and a firm grip, AutoMatch is marginal in the 22C.  The 22C has never failed to function with MiniMags or Blazer.

Although it's not surprising coming from the guy that preaches the only way to make the 380 EZ work is to chop up the followers, and is annoyed that S&W ignores his "engineering." This seems a bit vitriolic, but so what.  Some but not all 380EZ’s eject the last loaded round out of the magazine along with the second to last fired case.  The follower mod simply keeps the last round in the magazine until the slide chambers it.  Springs and new followers do not fix the ones than lose the last round as soon as the new spring weakens slightly.  Since you read the thread, the height reduction of the mag release is the really hard one to understand until you lay a 380EZ down on the wrong side and the mag pops out or it pops out while in a holster.  

The 22/45 is an excellent weapon; I have 3, and I'm a fan, but comparing the tube-and-bolt receiver to a regular slide/frame design is apples and oranges, especially for new shooters, or shooters looking to move up to other guns. Steel 22/45s are heavy.  Steel or aluminum, you have to be specific. 22/45 Lites are a gem.  And they work.

OP, take from someone who puts thousands of rounds through half a dozen 22C's every year, and run regular classes of new shooters (including kids and "weak women"), you won't regret a M&P 22C?    This all said, next week I am taking a new shooter out with his MP9 2.0 no safety.  The 22C will get shot first.  They are certainly good enough for familiarity and initial shooting.  Brand name sameness even though it has a safety is the main reason. Useable, but not the best. .

If you want a real opinion, the Taurus TX22 with a good barrel is a better trainer than any other .22, Glock’s M44 included.  The other reason I am using the 22C for a new guy next week, is that the TX22 is less appropriate size wise for his wife and boy at a later date.  Getting a good barrel is problematic when you have to inspect before paying good money these days.  The TX22 is perfect for most uses.  The small overall grip size of the 22C and the SR22 make them nice for kids and smaller people.  

Required images for size comparison:

So, that’s it.   11-11  

*Yes, Tupperware Glock Boxes are perfect homes.

Link Posted: 4/12/2020 8:04:24 AM EDT
[#10]
I have the full size one. Believe Walther makes it. Dispatches squirrels all day
long with head shots, hosts my outback II just fine and never misses a beat.
Cleaned it once in probably 10 yrs. Why does everyone get the compact?
You have midget hands?
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 8:29:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I grabbed two during a sale about five years ago. I still haven’t shot them. I grabbed them for when my kids are old enough to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 8:51:45 AM EDT
[#12]
It does what it’s suppose to do and that is just plain shoot. No it’s not a target gun for Christ’s sakes , but it functions extremely well , fits small and medium hands well , and is a great suppressor host.

If just want to have some fun and plink away , then but it. If you want tiny groups then there are much better choices.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 9:06:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Mine has been very reliable, with or without suppressor. Mine was missing the rear sight blade and I haven’t called for a replacement so I won’t judge the accuracy yet. It is nicely sized for kids and petite women.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 2:14:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 5:24:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I know a lot of people say theirs runs like a sewing machine but I wasn’t that lucky. Mine had to go back to S&W. Every other round was a FTF, FTE, etc.  It was better when I got it back but still not 100%, I would have a failure every mag or 2. The grip was a little short for me, I think if they would have added a little length and made it a 12 round mag it would of been perfect. I also agree with the others that the accuracy sucked as well.  My Taurus tx22 with the original sewer pipe barrel shot way tighter groups than the M&P Compact.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 10:55:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I got one for my ex. Very quiet suppressed. Very reliable with all the ammo I have on hand. Accuracy is about on par with a recoil operated centerfire pistol but not as good as a typical target style .22...as should be expected.

The Ruger SR-22 will go longer without cleaning...but those are just too small for me.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 9:48:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks.  It has to fit a 7 year old's hand.  I don't care for the reverse safety of the SR22.

Anyone have issues with the roll pin in the slide drifting out?
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 7:33:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It does what it’s suppose to do and that is just plain shoot. No it’s not a target gun for Christ’s sakes , but it functions extremely well , fits small and medium hands well , and is a great suppressor host.

If just want to have some fun and plink away , then but it. If you want tiny groups then there are much better choices.
View Quote

This pretty much nails it.

Its a good trainer if you shoot a shield or M&P compact and is awesome suppressed.

I really like mine, especially with my recently approved Dead Air Mask
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 6:01:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Took the 22C and TX22 out over the weekend and shot them myself before taking new shooter out yesterday.  The TX22 was so much more accurately and easily shot that yesterday I used it for safety and basic marksmanship before switching to his MP9 2.0 3.6”.

New shooter took to TX22 like a duck in water.

Damn glad I didn't decide to use the 22C out of stubbornness just because I have it.

The TX22 Feels just like the MP9 in hand and shoots where you aim it.  No reason to handicap someone with a harder to shoot grip and trigger.  The TX22 has the same soft takeup and then hard pull as the MP9.  Just a 1# lighter pull.  The same size, shape, and trigger made the MP9 transition easy.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 9:58:25 PM EDT
[#20]
How is the Ruger MK4 22/45 Tactical?
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 7:46:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By DOE:
How is the Ruger MK4 22/45 Tactical?
View Quote

That’s what I bought because I wanted the threaded barrel so I could shoot suppressed. Chose it over the lite at the advice of a friend that has been target shooting 22 pistols for a long time. The factory trigger was pretty good, but I swapped it out for a Volquartsen unit. Mine wouldn’t cycle reliably on SV ammo, which doesn’t seem to be the norm. A Volquartsen recoil spring kit seems to have taken care of that. I like it a lot.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 9:20:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Bashby:

That’s what I bought because I wanted the threaded barrel so I could shoot suppressed. Chose it over the lite at the advice of a friend that has been target shooting 22 pistols for a long time. The factory trigger was pretty good, but I swapped it out for a Volquartsen unit. Mine wouldn’t cycle reliably on SV ammo, which doesn’t seem to be the norm. A Volquartsen recoil spring kit seems to have taken care of that. I like it a lot.
View Quote

I did the ArfCom tradition and got both

Havent been able to shoot either, but started to order parts to mod them. Im thinking Im going to do the Tactical first since I can see using it more given the bottom rail.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top