Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2023 9:19:13 PM EDT
Anybody have a metal framed M&P 2.0?

Appreciate any opinions on this model.

Thinking my next pistol purchase would be this model or an M&P 2.0 in 10mm.
Thinking the best of both worlds would be if S&W made the metal framed model in 10mm.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 3:21:49 AM EDT
[#1]
The 4.25" version over here. It's slightly heavier than the polymer of the same size, but it's negligibly so. The metal frame has some polymer pieces held onto it (the frontstrap, the backstrap, etc) and when I insert a new magazine I can feel the polymer on the frontstrap flexing.  Overall, I like it. There isn't a real good reason why I like the metal over the polymer versions. On a PACT timers, my splits are the same on both, but the metal feels "nicer" to me.

Both the polymer and metal need some trigger linkage polishing, but it's less than twenty minutes work for a much improved feeling trigger (grit removal only, no reduction of pull weight)
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 3:54:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I looked at the "Competition" model last week.  

It had virtually no detectable reset feedback in the trigger. Almost zero.  Bizarre...
Trigger pull weight, for a competition gun, was ~5 pounds, which is "just ok" but again with no discernible reset.

I had read a review of this model and the writer subtly mentioned the near, if not total, lack of a reset.

Played with the SIG 320 Max Competition, it, on the other hand should go head-to-head with the CZ Shadow 2.

I didn't fool with the stock/carry M&P aluminum framed pistol but the competition left me puzzled.  

I was disappointed with that model.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 11:42:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't own an M2.0 Metal, but have spent some time at the range with both a standard and a black slide Competitor model and have well over a dozen poly framed M&P's. Both the Metals were excellent and very capable guns and both have very good triggers. I will own one once I can decide between the two, but I am currently leaning toward the Competitor.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 8:11:04 PM EDT
[#4]
It depends on the shooter, their shooting type and level as well as their expectations.  I made Master in USPSA with my Shadows.  I have a 2.0 Competitor and was completely underwhelmed with it.  The trigger is ok.  It is heavy and gritty.  If someone has only shot Glocks or M&Ps they might find it acceptable.  I put a Overwatch Precision trigger in it.  It is much better but not Shadow 2 or 2011 good but it is capable of going fast.

Accuracy (or precision) is poor.  It will not a hold a group comparable to my Shadows or my 2011s / 1911s.  But it will hold the A zone or 0 down zone out to 25 yards if you can.  Again, acceptable but not stellar.

The mag well only works with S&W base pads or extensions.  I had a couple of other brand +5s for my Older Pro Core and they won't work with the stock mag well. Doesn't matter for USPSA CO but can't use it for Limited Optics or IDPA CO.  Also not a fan of the plastic optic plates, I used a C&H.

I think Smith missed the boat on the Competitor.  Would suggest a Walther, Canik or 320 variant over the competitor for Practical Competition.  For a range, house, fun or even duty gun the Competitor would fit the bill.

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:41:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd buy one of the Competitor models but I can't stand the look of the "COMPETITOR" engraving on the grip, looks like shit to me, maybe they could also engrave "GRIP ZONE" on there while they're at it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top