Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2020 12:51:42 PM EDT
I'd like to try to convert my Wright Leather Works Predator pancake OWB holster to a sort of drop-holster somehow.

Its on a leather belt setup that I'd like to just sort of throw on as I'm puttering around.  "Gentlemen's Warbelt" basically

The issue is, I'm stick thin (and left handed), and with the SW 686, its wide enough and stiff enough that the only place its semi-comfortable is the 7oclock position.

I'd rather have it mounted at basically the 9oclock position, but it doesn't flex enough to contour comfortably to my body.

This setup:

Thinking about trying a couple of these and hoping they allow for a little more flexibility:
Put the ring through the belt loops on the holster, hook the leather strap over the belt.

Is this ridiculous?  Do I just need to start over and try something else?  
What other sorts of adapter/options do I have?

Link Posted: 4/20/2020 1:01:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Find a gun that is easier to carry in the correct position. If you insist on a large'ish revolver, look at a Model 65 or Model 13.  I honestly do not understand why anyone would seriously carry a wheelgun in this day and age, but I don't think you are going to achieve what you think you will with the set-up you are imagining.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 1:26:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'd like to try to convert my Wright Leather Works Predator pancake OWB holster to a........

The issue is, I'm stick thin and the only place its semi-comfortable is the 7oclock position.

View Quote

You might want to look at a cross-draw chest rig.
It would get the weight off your hips and allow comfortable sitting.
If you could find some 1.5/2 inch leather straps and use the belt slots on your current holster??

Here is an example, that could be used as a "plan" for your rig.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

PS: Carry what you want
My S&W N frame is my 1st choice for the field
Just like shoes, I have several styles to choose from.

Link Posted: 4/23/2020 11:32:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Just my opinion but that sounds like a bad idea. It's going to be too floppy.

The leather pancake style holster is my favorite style. I'm right handed so I carry at 3 o'clock. I carry a lot if big guns this way, beretta 92, glock 20, GP100, S&W N frame. I'm not a stick but I'm not fat. The best part is it holds the gun high and tight to your body.

Is your belt good and stiff? Try adjusting belt tightness. Maybe try going looser even.

Maybe the holster just needs to be broken in? Sometimes when I have a new stiff holster (with the gun out) I will bend it and flex it really hard in all different directions to loosen it up some.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 12:23:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd first see if it would, as the poster above said, break in for better fit. Maybe strap it down tight during the night to something the correct size, radius.

2nd, if I didn't need to conceal the gun just buy the 567, again, as said above. There's no excuse for a revolver carrier to not have one, I've found them for less than 40 bucks and you can make them hi ride, higher ride, mid rise or low, even a paddle option. Keep in mind they don't tuck the butt of the gun in.

If I DID want tighter ride for concealing and #1 didn't work I'd sell it and look for an Avenger style holster that requires less leather bending to conform to a small torso.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 2:51:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Theoretically would work but not well.  It well flop around a bit and the draw will almost require two hands.  You will be much better off finding a different holster.  Sniff around ebay I'm sure you'll find something.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 10:25:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Update for anyone watching:

Probably opening myself up to mockery, but thats okay.

I got some dangle things, and can't tell if its one of those "if it works and its stupid, its not stupid" things or if its just stupid

Definitly solves the comfortability problem.

Probably need to get a different holster and or belt.

Link Posted: 5/7/2020 5:51:33 AM EDT
[#8]
You get an A for effort but i just dont see that working.

I'd still recommend that safariland holster inposted above.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 10:45:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 03RN:
You get an A for effort but i just dont see that working.

I'd still recommend that safariland holster inposted above.
View Quote

Almost had one shipped...

But they are so ugly and I'd have to get a 4" one for my 3" revolver.
The mounting attachment looks like it would work but reminds me of a paddle holster.

Maybe looking at a Diamond D Leather Alaska Hunter Hip Holster.
Looks like the 1 loop might fit my needs:

https://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/products/alaska-hunter-hip-holster

Anybody used these guys?

Link Posted: 5/7/2020 10:51:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Safarliand duty gear is probably going to be where you need to go, they used to sell different length drop shanks you could attach to different holsters.  Get the low-ride one and it may work.  However, you won't be able to sit in a car.  You might have to get an actual thigh holster and then shorten the strap instead.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top