Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2021 7:20:56 PM EDT
I started carrying my P365XL for less than a week and my spare mag is already rusting.  

I've been carrying for over 20 years and never had this problem.  I guess my other guns all use stainless mags.

Anyone else have this problem?

Any ideas on trying to mitigate this?
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 9:09:44 PM EDT
[#1]
My spare mag rusted due to the carrier I was using. I ended up getting a different mag carrier that covers more of the mag body which seems to have helped.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 9:59:31 PM EDT
[#2]
So far for me, it's been 365 mags and m&p9 mags.

The M&P9 I can somewhat see - they were popo trade-in and were definitely abused. Likely left in their mag carriers after being out in the rain, etc. The 365 mags I'm not sure about. I'm guessing the finish is not happy with sweat.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 10:59:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My spare mag rusted due to the carrier I was using. I ended up getting a different mag carrier that covers more of the mag body which seems to have helped.
View Quote

@fokkfess

What kind of carrier did you get?

I'm using a leather IWB carrier and that could be part of the problem, but my M&P mags have not rusted.

Also, FWIW, I do wear a tshirt between my skin and the hardware.  However, I do sweat a lot in the summer.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 11:57:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I run with mine and yes -- rust! On mags, and mag catch. Just switched from a G48 to the P365XL and this is the reward I get??

On advice of others I'm coating everything with EEZOX. Hopefully that helps.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 9:27:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Some guys have a body chemistry that would rust the village virgin. You need something between the gun/mag and your sweat (holster/undershirt/etc), plus regular maintenance. Weekly wipe down with a gun rag other.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 12:57:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I use a Snag-Mag and mine rusted all to hell. I've since started waxing it with Renaissance wax every six months or so and it has pretty well eliminated the issue, their coating is a joke.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 6:01:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Some guys have a body chemistry that would rust the village virgin.
View Quote
Yep, me!  I lightly buffed and sprayed 3 of my rusty ones with Norrells Moly-Coat, no more rust or pampering the damn finish and should have done it from the start.  I have a couple of new ones to spray, next.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 9:40:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks, guys.  I'll try to find some EEZOX or Renaissance wax this weekend.

FWIW, I've never had this problem with other guns or mags.  And this mag had significant rust in less than a week.

I might just end up selling this thing.  I thought I was in love at first.  I bought 30 mags and was looking to buy a 2nd 365 and a 320.  Between the grip angle and rust, it is losing its luster.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 8:32:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought into the P365 family and the P320 family at the same time because, well it makes sense somehow, right?

Other than the rust the P365XL has been great once I got the Bore$ight Razorback mod. I shoot it better than the G48 it replaced (which did not rust). But the P320 has not grown on me. Too bulky, marginal accuracy for it's size. And I've got the full Lego kit. Still feel like the P365XL is worth the commitment, but I'm sticking with my G19.5MOS and G45 for those larger form factors.

Link Posted: 7/3/2021 5:24:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Leather could be the issue, the salts some places use to tan the leather react and cause rust. Had some speed loader holders leather and around the snaps they turned green from corrosion. I got a cheap knife with a leather sheath not my speed but was a gift. Went to pull it out and blade rusted to the leather sheath. Cheap or expensive it all has to do with the salts used in the tanning and a little moisture, tough to avoid moisture in fl
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 7:56:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Leather could be the issue, the salts some places use to tan the leather react and cause rust. Had some speed loader holders leather and around the snaps they turned green from corrosion. I got a cheap knife with a leather sheath not my speed but was a gift. Went to pull it out and blade rusted to the leather sheath. Cheap or expensive it all has to do with the salts used in the tanning and a little moisture, tough to avoid moisture in fl
View Quote

Thanks.  I don't think it's the leather, per se.  I've carried M&P mags with the same carrier extensively and have had no rust issues.

It could be just that leather, in general, might not be the best choice when trying to minimize corrosion.

I have a kydex carrier waiting to be finished and am hoping that that might help.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 9:42:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

FWIW, I've never had this problem with other guns or mags.  And this mag had significant rust in less than a week.

I might just end up selling this thing.  I thought I was in love at first.  I bought 30 mags and was looking to buy a 2nd 365 and a 320.  Between the grip angle and rust, it is losing its luster.
View Quote

30 to 1 ratio?
I personally would have had at least a second 365 at maybe 10. I'm not up to 30 mags yet but I'm getting there. I am up to three on the other end....
I have never had an issue with mag rust, I will be keeping an eye on things and ask others in my A.O.
I live in the sweat and humidity belt of the Country.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:44:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

30 to 1 ratio?
I personally would have had at least a second 365 at maybe 10. I'm not up to 30 mags yet but I'm getting there. I am up to three on the other end....
I have never had an issue with mag rust, I will be keeping an eye on things and ask others in my A.O.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

30 to 1 ratio?

Yeah.  I normally start with 10 mags.  Once i decide I like a gun and it will be used regularly, I buy 20 more.  That gives me 10 for training, 10 for serious use, and 10 for backup.

I fully intended to buy a 2nd 365 so I could have 1 to train with and 1 for carry.  Plus 2 is 1, or so they say.

I bought the 365 right after Xiden got elected and the dims took control of congress.  I just bit the bullet and bought 30 365mags right off the bat.  I also purchased a dozen 320 mags because I thought I might want one in the future.

I guess that we all panic our own ways.  

ETA: I lived through the Clinton ban, so that might help explain my mag hoarding.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 2:52:36 AM EDT
[#14]
If I have issues with my new P365X mags I will Cerakote them. For $50 a mag they should not rust.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 3:20:40 AM EDT
[#15]
I’ve noticed a difference in the finish between my older P365 mags that were made in Italy and the newer mags I just got that were made in the USA with the small C on them. I’ll post pics when I get a chance but the American made mags seem to have a cheaper finish. I wonder if this is having an effect on people experiencing rust. So far none of my P365 mags have rusted but it is clear some people are having a rust problem.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 8:07:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've noticed a difference in the finish between my older P365 mags that were made in Italy and the newer mags I just got that were made in the USA with the small C on them. I'll post pics when I get a chance but the American made mags seem to have a cheaper finish. I wonder if this is having an effect on people experiencing rust. So far none of my P365 mags have rusted but it is clear some people are having a rust problem.
View Quote
The Italian "Mecgar" mags do seem to have a better finish than their USA counterpart.  I really don't blame the rust on a cheaper finish but instead on whatever the hell I secret from my pores, fricken everything I handle seems to rust and rust quickly. Lol my buddy has a SS bolt gun that wears my finger print on it to this day, and he knew better not to wipe down after I handled it...took 2 days he said.

So I just relent and spray most everything, doing so does make clean up quicker as I don't have to leave a coat of oil or wax (worked for a really short period) on everything.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 2:31:27 PM EDT
[#17]
EEZOX-ing the mags and mag release did not help.

The Lakeline stainless 365 mag release + Alumahyde II coated mags have fixed the rust problem for me.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 7:13:02 AM EDT
[#18]
I spoke too soon. Carried my 365XL for a week and noticed a little surface rust forming on my mag. I've never rusted any gun/mag before.

That's pretty pathetic

Has anyone brought this to sigs attention? What did they do to remedy it?
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 8:18:35 AM EDT
[#19]
I’ve got a 365 that I carry with a spare m-f and an xl that I carry on weekends with a spare. I’ve rusted stainless fasteners on high end knives but no issues on either guns or mags yet.

Good luck on finding a cure.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 11:40:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I spoke too soon. Carried my 365XL for a week and noticed a little surface rust forming on my mag. I've never rusted any gun/mag before.

That's pretty pathetic

View Quote

I apply a small amount of lubricant to a rag and wipe the magazine bodies once a week. No rust issues here. And it helps with removing dust and lint build up!
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:09:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I apply a small amount of lubricant to a rag and wipe the magazine bodies once a week. No rust issues here. And it helps with removing dust and lint build up!
View Quote

I did the same thing. I'm not used to having to wipe mags down. Oh well
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 5:49:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That's pretty pathetic

View Quote

Keep sending them back to Sig for exchange till they get a clue
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 12:09:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's pretty pathetic

I’m going to be reaching out to Sig tomorrow. Just received two new 15rnd P365 mags that rattle when loaded. The factory that is producing these mags is really doing a crappy job. Side by side the Italian mags look, feel and function better, (no rattle in any of the Italian mags).
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 12:38:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'm going to be reaching out to Sig tomorrow. Just received two new 15rnd P365 mags that rattle when loaded. The factory that is producing these mags is really doing a crappy job. Side by side the Italian mags look, feel and function better, (no rattle in any of the Italian mags).
View Quote

Please update how they handle the situation.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 8:23:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm going to be reaching out to Sig tomorrow. Just received two new 15rnd P365 mags that rattle when loaded. The factory that is producing these mags is really doing a crappy job. Side by side the Italian mags look, feel and function better, (no rattle in any of the Italian mags).

@TheOldRepublic

Reached out to Sig, they said it’s normal. From researching around the internet that does seem to be the case. Not really happy about it. I do have some new floor plates on order to see if that fixes the issue.

I ordered these to see if a change in tolerance fixes the issue.

https://tactical.dev/collections/p365/products/sig-p365-15-pro
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 10:53:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

@TheOldRepublic

Reached out to Sig, they said it’s normal. From researching around the internet that does seem to be the case. Not really happy about it. I do have some new floor plates on order to see if that fixes the issue.

View Quote

From the plethora of G17 mags I have there's a couple that rattle a bit when fully loaded. Also, 2 of my 6 19rd CZ SP-01 mags rattle a little when fully loaded. Never has caused a malfunction ever. Just a little nuisance. I'm more interested in what Sig has to say about the rusty mags. That's not normal. The metal is either flawed from the start or the coating process is suspect.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 11:07:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Maybe your magazines were secretly made by Remington.....?
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 11:08:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

From the plethora of G17 mags I have there's a couple that rattle a bit when fully loaded. Also, 2 of my 6 19rd CZ SP-01 mags rattle a little when fully loaded. Never has caused a malfunction ever. Just a little nuisance. I'm more interested in what Sig has to say about the rusty mags. That's not normal. The metal is either flawed from the start or the coating process is suspect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@TheOldRepublic

The mags I believe are the Checkmate brand mags. The finish on my Italian mags (Mec-Gars) are much better. That said I don’t have the same issue that others here have had with their P365 mags rusting. My opinion, it’s probably a 50/50 issue. Part of the problem is that some mags were not finished properly and some peoples body Ph causes things to rust. The Checkmate, (the made in the USA mags), look like they just have a standard bluing and that’s it. If that is the case then rust is a matter of when, not if.

I also think that Sig had to settle with what they could get. Years ago after new town and leading up to the 2016 election, Sig was only including one mag in the box with the pistol. They caught a lot of hell for that. It seems that during this rush, Sig made sure their pistols shipped with the right about of mags. To do this some compromises were made. I do know Sig is aware of a difference in quality between the US and Italy mags. In the P320 all of the LE series guns only come with the Mec-Gar mags. It would be nice if Sig would partner with Armscor, who owns ACT mag. The ACT factory is down the road from the Mec-Gar factory. The P320 ACT mags are fantastic. I wish we could get ACT P365 mags, instead of the sloppy quality checkmate mags.

ACT 17rnd P320 mag. Half the price of the Sig marked P320 mag with the same reliability and a slick AFC.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 7:46:44 AM EDT
[#29]
I started carrying my 365XL in a Stealth Gear AIWB and the 15 round reload rusted all to hell after carrying it once. The finish is a joke on these and I forgot to wax the new mag.

These would be a great candidate for hard chroming. I'm tempted to ceracoat the outside of the mags as it's something I can do myself.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 8:08:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I started carrying my 365XL in a Stealth Gear AIWB and the 15 round reload rusted all to hell after carrying it once. The finish is a joke on these and I forgot to wax the new mag.

These would be a great candidate for hard chroming. I'm tempted to ceracoat the outside of the mags as it's something I can do myself.
View Quote
If you can you should and never have to think about it again.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 10:20:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If you can you should and never have to think about it again.  
View Quote

Caswell also sells a small electroless nickel plating kit for $206. I bet I could find lots of stuff to nickel plate.

https://caswellplating.com/electroless-nickel-mini-kit-5-pint.html
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 11:39:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 12:12:08 PM EDT
[#33]
I carry a P365X.
I usually rub a little oil on the mags and wipe off with a rag.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top