Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2022 10:28:53 PM EDT

I've been slowly getting up to speed on my G43x which I am still vastly worse at shooting than my G45 but I can wear my sexy shorts without having them fall off sooooo.

Originally I bought the shields 15 round magazines and catch but I decided to remove it for a number of reasons - 2 mags with a catch and shipping was 150.00 but then the factory plastic base plates started peeling off so it was another 70.00 for 2 aluminum base plates shipped. The finish on the magazines was rubbing off and I dropped one during a reload and it dented and was unusable. A friend has proper trained with his alot more than me and his were shredding his hands they were so chunked up. Also I had alot of ftf issues with them so I went back to plastic and was happier.

Then I got it magna ported which they use EDM wire to cut out ports in the barrel and matching ones on the slide - which they did not re-coat on my slide, bare metal - fun. I used a bluing pen for now and will refinish the slide once I get an optic cut.

Anywho it was supposed to take a week and cost 160.00 - it took 3 weeks and they tried to charge me 240 claiming there was 40.00 in some finish charge and 40.00 in shipping charges etc I was supposed to know about different from the phone call before shipping - ok.

The ports do work extremely well and I was alot faster to put rounds on target https://goo.gl/maps/PpPXH2tgXFn3Tnps9

Finally I saw WTH video about civil defense 50gr 9mm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAnf-Gd1298

I had seen those rounds before but never considered them so I bought some to try - first of all they are 3oz lighter per mag - 6oz for 2 mags which I carry which actually feels like alot. The Ultra light cased ones are even lighter.

I didn't get a chance to do any watermelon targets but I fired one off at an ar500 steel plate 100 yards away and it did more damage than the 2 147gr 300 BLK rounds I also shot  but with a 16 inch barrel - also, its very accurate at 100 yards which was surprising, since my sights are not.

https://goo.gl/maps/viY7eqCbPuAovfiW8

The round in the upper left shoulder is a 147 +P+ Speer Gold Dot btw

https://goo.gl/maps/VE4r1op5n3ZtsA828

Link Posted: 8/19/2022 11:04:31 PM EDT
[#1]
That ammo is a gimmick.

Get hsts, gold dots, ranger, or critical duty
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 7:47:14 AM EDT
[#2]
There is an awful lot to unpack in that post.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 9:03:45 AM EDT
[#3]
That looks good OP. Have you run any 124s through the gun yet?

Anything you don't like about the port job besides the lack of finish?
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 1:49:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 2:17:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol

lolz
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 10:10:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That ammo is a gimmick.

View Quote

How is it a gimmick exactly? its a super fast 9mm round apparently capable of generating hydro-static shock with a bullet design that is going to take alot of meat with it by default, there is plenty of testing to choose from.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=liberty+civil+defense+9mm+ballistic+gel

I have all of those rounds and the +P+ Gold Dots, I don't have access to do my own tests so accuracy and effect on steel are all I can measure and they perform as advertised.

Link Posted: 8/21/2022 10:18:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That looks good OP. Have you run any 124s through the gun yet?

Anything you don't like about the port job besides the lack of finish?
View Quote

Critical defense only and very few rounds since I have no real way to test them vs IMI razor core or ball ammo etc for effect.

The gun has significantly less recoil - JM did a video on it awhile back and 30% seems realistic, the gun is way too small for my hands so recoil control has been a challenge, from draw the gun would be pointed 10-11 oclock using my g45 grip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRW_M--O98U

If this was your everyday gun I would go for it.

I've also switched to using SOLGW Spec 76 lube and especially on the trigger it works very well to smooth the actions out.

Link Posted: 8/21/2022 10:32:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Hydrostatic shock.

Link Posted: 8/21/2022 10:57:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hydrostatic shock.

View Quote

You laughing at me, bruh? It's a thing!
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 11:08:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

How is it a gimmick exactly? its a super fast 9mm round apparently capable of generating hydro-static shock with a bullet design that is going to take alot of meat with it by default, there is plenty of testing to choose from.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=liberty+civil+defense+9mm+ballistic+gel

I have all of those rounds and the +P+ Gold Dots, I don't have access to do my own tests so accuracy and effect on steel are all I can measure and they perform as advertised.

View Quote

That ammo severely under-penetrates. Hydrostatic shock doesn't exist in 9mm. I'm sure that ammo would wreck someone's day, but it cannot reliably reach vital organs. Throw in any barrier and you are fooked.

If I was going to carry a "gimmick" round in 9mm it would be Underwoods 68gr +P extreme defender. Instead, I HST or GDHP. Proven.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 11:10:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That ammo is a gimmick.

View Quote

Maybe, maybe not.  I have it in my 10mm: it is accurate, has relatively low recoil, feeds reliably, and seems to make really nice holes in things I've shot with it.  I'm willing to bet that anybody on the wrong end of my gun is not going to be very happy if they catch 4 or 5 of these bullets (and they will, because there's very little recoil, making follow-ups easy).  

Now, we can debate for weeks about just how unhappy the unfortunate asshole would be, compared to catching 4 or 5 rounds of Ranger or HST, but I'm willing to bet the debate will be mostly academic.

ETA: it seems to go through this car door pretty well:

Liberty civil defense 9mm barrier testing

All hype aside, I think the biggest advantage of this ammo is the massively reduced recoil (.22 TCM is similar), especially in smaller guns.  You're not getting hydrostatic shock velocities out of a 3" barrel (especially a ported one), but being able to double and triple tap easily hopefully makes up somewhat for the potential lack of penetration.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 11:44:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That ammo is a gimmick.

https://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/ammunition/liberty-ammunition-review/

I hate to burst your bubble, but you are not getting hydrostatic shock velocities from this ammo with your gun.  3.4" ported barrel will be lucky to break 1800FPS, and that 9mm looks like it needs at least 5" of barrel to get close to 2200FPS.  Personally, Civil Defense would not be my first choice of ammo for a ported G43x.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 2:53:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Maybe, maybe not.  I have it in my 10mm: it is accurate, has relatively low recoil, feeds reliably, and seems to make really nice holes in things I've shot with it.  I'm willing to bet that anybody on the wrong end of my gun is not going to be very happy if they catch 4 or 5 of these bullets (and they will, because there's very little recoil, making follow-ups easy).  

Now, we can debate for weeks about just how unhappy the unfortunate asshole would be, compared to catching 4 or 5 rounds of Ranger or HST, but I'm willing to bet the debate will be mostly academic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPyreYstPRc

All hype aside, I think the biggest advantage of this ammo is the massively reduced recoil (.22 TCM is similar), especially in smaller guns.  You're not getting hydrostatic shock velocities out of a 3" barrel (especially a ported one), but being able to double and triple tap easily hopefully makes up somewhat for the potential lack of penetration.
View Quote
Why not just use a lower recoiling round that will penetrate better?
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 4:38:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That ammo is a gimmick.

View Quote
This x 10000%
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 5:45:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPyreYstPRc

Because unlike the OP, I'm shooting 10mm out of a 5" barrel. The ballistics are a little different.

Link Posted: 8/21/2022 6:05:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Because unlike the OP, I'm shooting 10mm out of a 5" barrel. The ballistics are a little different.

View Quote
The tests I've seen aren't too impressive, i.e. lack of penetration, fragmentation, etc. I don't buy into energy dump, though, so there's that.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 6:52:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The tests I've seen aren't too impressive, i.e. lack of penetration, fragmentation, etc. I don't buy into energy dump, though, so there's that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't speak for 10mm but .357 drops coyotes much faster than 9mm.

And heavier faster .45 drops deer faster than normal.45
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 7:14:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
I was speaking specifically about light and fast rounds like the Liberty ammo.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 7:19:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha

I wouldn't mind trying them on yotes but nothing bigger
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 11:49:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Liberty ammo is a complete gimmick round that uses marketing voodoo for the uninformed.  

Tests performed by competent people without a conflict of interest (i.e. testers who aren't being paid by Liberty) show the 50gr 9mm penetrates a whopping 5" to 6" in properly calibrated ballistic gelatin.  

That's laughable.  It's basically giving you Glaser performance.   This ammo should be given the hardest pass possible for defensive use.  You'd be better using any 115 gr FMJ over this Liberty crap.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 11:50:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Gotcha

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha

I'd try them on something like a raccoon or a groundhog.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top